Italeri 1/72 Boeing B-52G

Well this was a monster build, by far the biggest model of my undertaking, even though detailing was kept to a minimum.

Not one for the faint hearted as it wasn't a straight forward build and a lot of filler was required.

The size of the kit for the cost is excellent, I almost feel like I should have paid far more for it than I did.

With the choice of 4 different aircraft the decals give you plenty of choice. However, the actual decals themselves are very flimsy which on the long walk ways its almost impossible to fit them. I tried 3 different decals and due to the size they just tore and rolled up as soon as they left the card.

The instructions. Now that's where all the fun is, you could build it by reading kit reviews rather than following the instructions they are that bad. How you can build an aircraft with wings out stretched and provide no strength its crazy.

Is this kit worth it. Depends how much effort you want to put in adapting the instructions, you have plenty of space and are relatively experienced.

Would I buy it again. Unfortunately the answer is no.

Apologies for the backgrounds in the photographs, the sheer size of it forced me to use the floor for the pictures.

37558466044_6bf049983e_b.jpgIMG_9619 by Christopher Newton, on Flickr

26492851959_c180ed1aec_b.jpgIMG_9620 by Christopher Newton, on Flickr

26492855699_c21523cfa9_b.jpgIMG_9621 by Christopher Newton, on Flickr

26492862689_ef67f5f52a_b.jpgIMG_9624 by Christopher Newton, on Flickr

24398082808_99101c1926_b.jpgIMG_9626 by Christopher Newton, on Flickr

Just to show the size this was taken next to a 1/72 tornado and a 1/72 Concorde

24398086968_da07d03f2a_b.jpgIMG_9627 by Christopher Newton, on Flickr

Chris

• Like 18

You know I honestly had no idea there was a 1/72 B52. 

Now someone will tell me there's a 1/48 version.😱

Like the real thing it's an impressive subject. Still in service after all these years.

11 minutes ago, noelh said:

Like the real thing it's an impressive subject. Still in service after all these years.

There's a resin 1:48 B-52.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, noelh said:

There is the old Monogram 1/72 B-52D, the Italeri ones are B-52G and B-52H which are the old AMT moulds, Italeri updated them with cruise missiles but the AMT one had the Hound dog missile on it. Dragon also do a few versions in 1/200 scale which aren't bad. 

A bit worried about the fit issues of the Italeri ones now as I have the G & H! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, noelh said:

There is.....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, csnewton2701 said:

Thanks.

It's currently sat on the top of a wardrobe, I haven't found a safe place to put it yet.

I'm not happy with the paint job as I've applied the paint to thick. 

Chris

Hello Chris,

Great job with your B-52 ! Indeed it seems that you didn't put thinner in your paint. Unfortunately with acrylics it's almost essential in many cases. Which brand do you use ? How many layers did you apply ? Also, the choice of the brushes is quite important. Nevertheless it's evident that painting such a big aircraft only with brushes requires time and patience 😱

:bye:

• Like 1

It was a revell matte enamel. The thinning is something I haven't done on a fair few larger projects. It took me 2 weeks with a medium brush to fully paint it. The first layer came out patchy so I gave it another. 1 layer might have been enough if I had thinned it.

We live and learn and now I thin all my paints down.

Chris

Brush painting Revell enamel is quite an enterprise in itself. It takes all the meaning out of the expression 'it's like watching paint dry' because it dries so terribly fast! I do admire your achievement, assembling that beast and brush painting it. Well done!

Very nice (and large) build!

I have occasionally daydreamed about building one of these, but the old "Where would I put it?" question keeps coming up.

Glad that has not stopped you with your endeavour.

Very inspiring.  😎

• 1 year later...