Revell 1:16 VW Samba Bus conversion with lights

Hi everyone

Well, it's been a while since my last posting as I've been dealing with my wife's breast cancer treatment, etc, but I have not been idle. I've done a few kits here and there which I hope to get on here soon. In the meantime this one I have now nearly completed. As usual I have added working lights but, this time, I have modded the inside to convert it into a camper van with an extended roof and luggage rack. 

All I have to do now is connect all of the wires to a switch box and it will be ready to post in the RFI section. Here is just a little sample:

Build03 Build12 Build01

Edited by ukmodeller
Updated links
  • Like 3

I hope your wife will be ok, I have found this hobby quite helpful in the past while going through tough times.

Your camper van looks amazing love the details. I look forward to some more photos. Do you think this is a good kit? Been thinking about buying it but cannot decide.

3 hours ago, dbostream said:

I hope your wife will be ok, I have found this hobby quite helpful in the past while going through tough times.

Your camper van looks amazing love the details. I look forward to some more photos. Do you think this is a good kit? Been thinking about buying it but cannot decide.

Thanks. Really appreciate that. She is fine now. One of the lucky one's and it certainly makes you revalue life.

Anyway, I enjoyed this kit as it was of a larger scale and a lot easier to mod and add lights to. There was no flashing on the sprues at all and the parts went together very well. The glazing fits well (inserted from the outside) which seems to be the norm with Revell now. That way there is less chance of spoiling them when assembling the body. All of the doors actually work properly and just 'snap-on' to the 'hinges'.

Overall a great kit. They now make a panel van so that could be a good project for the future.

40 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

That is a great conversion Kevin, that kitchen looks sweet. Good looking bus!

@dbostream: I've built this kit recently, it's a really nice one, definitely worth building. 

Thanks, Jeroen

I agree. A great kit to build and it has so many possible conversions. 

On 10/24/2018 at 8:58 PM, Spiny said:

The second good build of this kit I've seen this year:clap2: Fingers crossed your wife's remission is permanent.

Thanks, Spiny. It is looking good with the wife.

I'm looking at this picture and something does not seem right with the colour scheme. I think I;m going to make some adjustments..............

Hi Everyone

I thought I'd include some of the pre-finishing pictures here so that you can get a better view of the inside before adding the roof. The finished pictures and a link to a video showing off the lights will soon be available in the RFI section. THe pictures are now available in the RFI section HERE.

Thank you for viewing.

Build14Build13Build10Build09Build08Build07

Build06

Build05

Build04

Build03

Edited by ukmodeller