Some Special Small-Scale Supermarine Spitfires

Beggsy

Just now, Beggsy said:

Thanks for the tip.  I'm limited to using acrylics due to my lack of a safe way to deal with enamel or laquer fumes, but your prop hub looks exactly like what I'm picturing in my head.  I might need to do more research into the best acrylic options for gloss black and chrome.

Thank you everyone for your kind words!

What about any gloss black followed by this:

https://www.amazon.com.au/Molotow-Liquid-Chrome-Pump-Marker/dp/B01E7EGARQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1548501684&sr=8-3&keywords=molotow+liquid+chrome

Its delicate and I use mine for undercarriage oleos but with a 4mm nib, a 1/72 prop should be easy?

Loads of info on the web but this should give you an idea:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again!  Here are some progress shots.  The Airfix Prototype has had it's control surfaces coloured, and the canopy is all cleaned up.

46118077145_1ffbbce878_b.jpg

32090207277_b59be55562_b.jpg

46118075175_1d5dec481b_b.jpg

You'll notice that it's not sitting on it's belly.  The gear transplant from the Tamiya kit has been a complete success!

46118074795_de87a6e54d_b.jpg

46979758792_2403544a6d_b.jpg

No progress on the Tamiya for now (it's mostly there already) except that it's landing gear from the Airfix kit has been finished.  I shouldn't have taken the photos quite so close to them, they don't do the pieces justice.

33156632088_6c6c7c4661_b.jpg

46979758172_747e605032_b.jpg

I'm working on the spinner for the Tamiya as well.  I've been out and got one of the pens that @azureglo mentioned, and on the pieces I've tested it on I've been very impressed!

• Like 8

Oh, and one other detail I forgot to mention was the prototype's tail skid:

46979759062_ebdddba716_b.jpg

I made it by cutting off slices of the actual tailwheel piece until it became wedge-shaped.  I'm pretty pleased with the result of that approach!

• Like 9

Superb! The finish on both is just excellent; I can't choose between the super glossy Speed with the masked cheats and numbers and the ever so subtle 'what colour is that exactly?!' K5054. Can't wait to see what you're going to do with the chromed prop. Actually, I really can't wait to see them side by side in 'Ready for Inspection'. But take your time, this is a great thread..

8 hours ago, Newbie(kinda) said:

But take your time,

Whoops, looks like I've gone ahead and finished them!  My first quiet weekend in a month or more lead to a major session at the workbench with some very satisfying results!

Firstly, the chrome pen worked wonders on the spinner of the Tamiya.  Note that it obscures all surface detail, so not a good idea for covering large areas.  It also shows pen-strokes if not applied carefully.

33183428688_8326a757e0_b.jpg

After that was applied, all it needed was for the landing gear and exhausts to be attached.  I made a tail skid out of plasticard, painted that, then called it done.  That said, I'm still tempted to polish it again.

As for the Airfix, it was all going well until disaster struck!

33183447918_1b49f1b11b_b.jpg

This happened after masking the area around the base of the small pitot to paint over a glue spot.  I was heartbroken, and had no idea how I was going to match the colour and shape well enough to mimic that with paint.  It was a dark day, but then a miracle happened.  I cannot heap enough praise upon Xtradecal for this sheet because to my amazement, there at the bottom of the page below some Battle of Britain Mk.I markings, was a FULL SET OF SPARE ROUNDELS!!!!!!!  And not even just standard ones, they were the brighter coloured, differently proportioned and white outlined (on the fuselage) roundels of K5054, and were marked "Spare".  I also cannot thank my girlfriend enough for prompting me to look for spares on the sheet, something I thought was so unlikely as to not even consider before it was suggested.  I promptly applied some white paint (so the gap wouldn't show through) and popped a new one on top before breathing an enormous sigh of relief.

Speaking of decals, these tail numbers were a challenge to apply:

40093815393_10af53c5c3_b.jpg

The white background is a separate decal, and you have to line them up atop one another!

The propeller received a coat of white, and then the wood texture was scribbled on with a pair of watercolour pencils.  I sprayed Tamiya clear yellow over the top and got a very nice wood effect.  Some Tamiya tape for curves helped with the blade leading edges.  The hub, tip and blade bases were then masked and sprayed.

32117023917_cbfc2f177e_b.jpg

And with the prop attached, wheels fitted and stretched-sprue pitots secured, it was done!  Here's a final picture, expect more in the RFI once I get some better light to take photos in.

47006601932_cdb66b8f8c_b.jpg

So that's that!  I've had a lot of fun with my double spitfire build.  With two more down, my stash is looking a little more reasonable.  One day, I'll start looking at that Eduard Aussie Eight dual combo....and the pair of overtrees I got for it.....  :)

Thanks to everyone for all your kind words.  If there's anything I missed (sorry, the if is redundant, I definitely missed something) feel free to ask about it!  Looking forward to seeing you all in another build soon~

Beggsy.

• Like 6

On 2/11/2019 at 11:19 AM, Newbie(kinda) said:

Actually, I really can't wait to see them side by side in 'Ready for Inspection'.

Maybe not quite side by side, but here are a couple of pictures of them sharing shelf space with my other 1/72 "Weird Spitfires"

47068916331_e7ab21f26f_b.jpg

47016929842_10c79a34bd_b.jpg

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, SA80A2AR said:

has it been butched with the front end of a BF-109??

Almost, it's actually one of the engines from a Bf 110, due to a lucky coincidence that both had a similar cross section.

And although what I just said in the line above sounds like modelling talk, it's actually the story of the real aircraft!

I built it last year for the Blitzbuild:

3 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

What was the point of swapping gear between the kits?

Thanks!

The Airfix kit comes with the landing gear legs and doors moulded as one piece.  Since the prototype first flew without any doors on the gear, I used thr Tamiya gear which has separate legs, and sent the doors off to the spares box.

That's a great display. Of the most recent 2, I'm with K5054 for that paint job (not to mention the decal rescue. I binned a pink PR1G that I was really pleased with last summer for exactly that problem, at that stage in the build). Did you WIP the others (because if so, I'm checking them out next!)?