(another) Cromwell

Ian

Afternoon all from the land of the Long White Cloud. This started life about a month ago as an experiment - First time using Ammo of Mig acrylics and first attempt at the 'modulation method'. So because I don't want to bore everybody here at BM with the intervening steps, here's what it looks like all finished-off, (apologies to folks with slow broadband as it's quite photo-heavy !).

ZMFogcE.jpg

sCbI3QL.jpg

IWeBI56.jpg

1X19e5i.jpg

JdcB0uW.jpg

TezNyky.jpg

2YpdLay.jpg

Built straight from the box with no additions, I will be getting a set of the MiniArt British tank figures to group around and in the model in the near future. Weathering after the main paint modulation, filters & decals (in chronological order) - Dirty brown oil pin-wash, chipping and scratches, streaks & stains, heavily thinned dirty grey acrylic on the lower sections & wheels to simulate road dirt and finally pigments & mud splashes. 

Please feel free to make any comment, ask any questions or suggest anything I can improve upon. This'll be the last armour project for a while as I've got an F40 to finish and I'm also about 50% of the way through a 1:48 P-51 (both Tamiya). 

AFN

Ian.

• Like 24

Lovely Cromwell, super job with the painting and weathering, particularly like the chipping.

Always think figures finish an afv kit off nicely, even though I'm hopeless with them!

Great work

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

Lovely looking model, great weathering and finish on it.

my only criticism is the mud splashed on the rear engine deck look out of place. It’s not the sort of place that would really get splashed so it looks a bit unsaturated, especially as they mostly seem to be directional from the back left corner. 

Minor criticism as the rest of the model is superb.

• Thanks 1

On 10/24/2018 at 7:45 PM, bigfoot said:

my only criticism is the mud splashed on the rear engine deck look out of place. It’s not the sort of place that would really get splashed so it looks a bit unsaturated, especially as they mostly seem to be directional from the back left corner. 

So interesting that you mentioned this.

The splash over the rear deck was the ONLY weathering that I placed deliberately !! - in my non-expert mind it was a result of something like a mortar explosion from just behind and to the left of the vehicle, the mud spraying from the impact. I was hoping someone would pick-up on it so I could explain it !!!

Ian.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ian said:

So interesting that you mentioned this.

The splash over the rear deck was the ONLY weathering that I placed deliberately !! - in my non-expert mind it was a result of something like a mortar explosion from just behind and to the left of the vehicle, the mud spraying from the impact. I was hoping someone would pick-up on it so I could explain it !!!

Ian.

I think the thing that makes it look odd is that there is no splashes on the side of the hull or exhaust cowling. With the story you’re trying to convey, there should be heavy splashes on those sides as well. Also, your splashes are all in the same direction. If originating from a point of impact behind the back left then I would expect them radiating out in a bit more of a fan shape. I think these bits, especially the side splashes, would help convey that story a bit more.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A superb job, Ian.

I wouldn't worry about your 'problematical' splashes on the rear decking. If the Cromwell were driving along a sunken track, such as those in the Bocage region, then the mortar explosion could have happened on the higher ground, and rained sloppy mud down on the decking without it touching the sides of the tank.  Or there might have been a wall, hedgerow, some tall grass, a fence, a bank, another Cromwell, or a line of Parisian dancing girls beside the tank, again, sheilding the sides from the splashes - not that there's enough mud there, whilst not being elsewhere ,to make it look odd in any way.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great Cromwell there.

I find the mud discussion interesting and can see both sides having their points. As this is all what some are critical of.... you shure as hell do have a superb model here👍🏻

/Stefan

• Thanks 1

Really do appreciate all the comments and the discussion this wee model has generated. Have to say as an 'experimental' project, I'm really happy with it, just a shame that I can't enter it in the New Zealand  IPMS Nationals this weekend as I've already been asked to judge the AFV classes, so 'conflict of interest' and all that...

Once again folks, thanks so much for the comments and feedback. Busy with a P-51 just now and not too sure what will follow that one on to the bench. All the best from the Land of the Long White Cloud and enjoy Telford if you're going (in a way I wish I was too).

Ian.

Edited by Ian