Mitsubishi Ki-15 BABS Type 97

JOCKNEY

To replace my non-compliant Willow, I will start on this one instead

IMG_4094

The box actually contains 2 identical kits one which can be built as either military or civil versions.

Because my instructions are all in Japanese I will need to research where and when this aircraft saw service and the appropriate colours for it. As hasegawa also released this kit I am hopeful that their instructions may provide the answer !

IMG_4095

Parts above showing it to be unstarted, the other kit is moulded in a silver plastic which would better lend itself to the civil version. Annoyingly I have just noticed the other kit has the clear parts missing, which is very disappointing as I was hoping to pass it on to another person to build. I don't think you can get canopies for this aircraft but would love to be proved wrong.

IMG_4096

This is the version I'm planning to build, any idea which Humbrol colours are applicable ?

Below is the posh looking civil versions and some other presumably prewar versions, going on the grey painted finish.

IMG_4097

Finally the instructions, good job there are pictures !

IMG_4098

cheers Pat

• Like 6

and here he is....finally! :D Welcome along Pat with an interesting subject....though I know you're still a bit sad over the Willow not being allowed.

But it good to see you've made up for that with something quite interesting and looks to be quite a nice model as well.

As far as schemes go, I trawled though all the available models on Scalemates and that wasn't really any help at all! All the Imperial Japanese Army Air Service schemes (which would be the more appropriate) are Grey and they don't provide location details. The nice coloured scheme and the green ones were either used in China or by the Imperial Navy. I did find out that they were used in Burma but from what I can gather those were Grey as well.

There's a great book on the subject call "Japanese Army Air Force - Camouflage & Markings WWII" by Donald W Thorpe. It may be a bit hard to get but it goes into great detail all the different colour schemes and markings used.

Your aircraft was in either Scheme O1 or O2 (C4 was used in China only, it was the camo scheme you have). O1 is Light Grey (A9) allover and O2 is Light Grey Grey (A5) allover.

That's about al Il have, the actual tail markings I'm not to sure on, maybe someone knows.

Good luck with her.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've had a chance to think about my Babs ( steady ! ) and as I really want to do the Manchuria markings. 

So the choice is do this one in "Groovy Grey" or change the aircraft, so it's onto build number 3 !

• Like 1

Hi Jockney,

I'm just getting caught up on some GBs – excellent choice here, but I gather you didn't get to do a Willow!

Regards,

David

6 hours ago, Dazey said:

Hi Jockney,

I'm just getting caught up on some GBs – excellent choice here, but I gather you didn't get to do a Willow!

Regards,

David

Hi David

Yes not only was the Willow a no go, so was this one as I couldn't do the colour choice I wanted....

Muppetry on my part !

cheers Pat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi David

Yes not only was the Willow a no go, so was this one as I couldn't do the colour choice I wanted....

Muppetry on my part !

cheers Pat

Hello Pat,

I hadn't read the entire post when replying, although I gathered as much when I saw your Vengeance entry. I look forward to seeing that one built!

Regards,

David 

• Haha 1