Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

badger

Warhammer undead diorama - 2ft square!!

Recommended Posts

Whilst it may seem this build has been abandoned this is actually far from true.

 

Both myself and Mrs Badger have been spending the last few evenings cleaning up the abundant mould lines on the plastic graveyard buildings, walls and fences. There's miles of them and that's without mentioning the ejector pin marks!

 

Nothing worth a photo yet but the wall is all done with just two fence sections left.

 

The second mausoleum is 3/4 built and I started the third last night.

 

Once these are done then we can get on with more of the fun stuff on the board.

 

All the best

 

Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick update

 

I've almost finished the mausoleum I'm building - just a couple of gargoyles and an ornamental spire to fit.

2018-11-06_10-10-52

 

All the best

 

Ben

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice. I cheated on that one and put the gargoyles on the upper windowsills, to hide the tricky seam :) I suspect they don't do much for rainwater in that position though.

 

Will

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers Will

 

I had a good read through your build last week which was very useful.

 

I've got to get the filler back out for some ejector marks in the fence so will try and sort the windowsills and roof joints on this at the same time.

 

Be glad to get all the cleaning up done as it's really slowing the build down but at the same time makes all the difference in the finished piece.

 

All the best

 

Ben

 

 

Edited by badger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

What heresy is this?  :analintruder:

This is what I get up to when I'm not building tiny tanks!

 

No rivets, no "wrong colour", no scale problems, All good!

 

This is purely for fun and so far I'm really enjoying it (other than chuffing mould lines!)

 

All the best

 

Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Progress!!

 

I've finished off the mausoleum I've been working on;

IMG_20181112_222935

 

Mrs Badger has also finished hers;

IMG_20181112_222955

 

That's the three buildings now done - just two lengths of fence left and the graveyard kit is ready to fit onto the board :ghost:

 

Can then have a lot more fun building up the groundwork:bounce:

 

All the best

 

Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right - the weather here is distinctly 'ok' so the primer can is in some warm water and this lot are shortly off to get sprayed.

2018-11-17_09-32-49

 

This is the sum total of the last week or so - there is one piece of fence left still to finish cleaning up but that should be done tonight.

 

All the best

 

Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a serious amount of priming Ben - are we sure one can will be enough...

...looking forward to the next update - Happy Spray Saturday mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BIG X said:

That's a serious amount of priming Ben - are we sure one can will be enough

Sadly not! Had it been a full can I would have been ok, but there was only about 1/3 left so didn't manage to do it all.

 

Will pick another can up from halfords next time I'm passing as it's too cold to do anymore now as the suns moved off the back garden.

 

Plenty of other things still to do though.

 

All the best

 

Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is it that the can you think has plenty in it runs out at the least opportune  moment? Lovely work on those buildings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, badger said:

Sadly not! Had it been a full can I would have been ok, but there was only about 1/3 left so didn't manage to do it all.

 

Will pick another can up from halfords next time I'm passing as it's too cold to do anymore now as the suns moved off the back garden.

 

Plenty of other things still to do though.

 

All the best

 

Ben

In a bizarre twist of fate you prompted me to check my own Halfords Primer yesterday and guess what...  I realised my last can was nearly empty.  Now I haven't been anywhere near the bench in over a month - life is just getting in the way at present - but I did pop over to Halfords yesterday afternoon.  If only I'd known - I'd have got you a couple of cans too ;)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BIG X said:

In a bizarre twist of fate you prompted me to check my own Halfords Primer yesterday and guess what...  I realised my last can was nearly empty.  Now I haven't been anywhere near the bench in over a month - life is just getting in the way at present - but I did pop over to Halfords yesterday afternoon.  If only I'd known - I'd have got you a couple of cans too ;)

 

 

Glad to be of service :yes:

 

Luckily there's a branch just down from where I work.

 

Now - if I ever got a proper lunchbreak is another thing :swear:

 

Hopefully some progress later today as just about to start on it.

 

All the best

 

Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Massive update time.

 

I've spent the afternoon working on the board to glue on all the components that we've spent the last couple of weeks getting ready.

 

The wall / fence is now on, bar one section which needs trimming to fit.

IMG_20181118_180410IMG_20181118_180407

 

The mausoleum bases are stuck down, as these have interior detail the main buildings will be painted separately then added later.

IMG_20181118_180413IMG_20181118_180419

 

I've started adding a variety of gravestones, there are more to add yet!

IMG_20181118_180448IMG_20181118_180456

 

IMG_20181118_180417IMG_20181118_180357

 

Once everything is stuck down then it will need a skim of filler to blend everything together before texturing and priming.

 

Thinking of buying a proper static grass machine to use on this rather than pre-made tufts.

 

More soon - off to clean up some trees.

 

All the best

 

Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good. I wouldnt like to clean up the mould lines on these models, seems every time i look at my figures ive missed another one, nevermind on stuff that size.

 

All the talk of halfords primer, its something im needing to get also. Had a look on their website before going in tommorow and i see there are various types. Is it this stuff you are using? https://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/car-spray-paints/halfords-plastic-primer-spray

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Trig said:

All the talk of halfords primer, its something im needing to get also. Had a look on their website before going in tommorow and i see there are various types. Is it this stuff you are using? https://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/car-spray-paints/halfords-plastic-primer-spray

Many thanks for looking in. It's a bit rough at the moment but is starting to come together a bit now.

 

Still loads to do, nevermind all the figures.

 

As for Halfords primer I use the ordinary grey which they sell in big cans. Have used it for years and it works well on metal, resin and plastic.

Have tried the plastic primer but to be honest I can't see any difference.

 

All the best

 

Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, wasnt sure what the difference was on the website.

 

Im just starting off with some small diorama tests myself, so ill keep checking in to see how its done 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trig said:

Looking good. I wouldnt like to clean up the mould lines on these models, seems every time i look at my figures ive missed another one, nevermind on stuff that size.

 

All the talk of halfords primer, its something im needing to get also. Had a look on their website before going in tommorow and i see there are various types. Is it this stuff you are using? https://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/car-spray-paints/halfords-plastic-primer-spray

That's the one I use - but in the 500ml can - which is great value @ £7.49 - Grey Primer - the tiny code on the tin is 473116.  I've messed with loads of primers - via the airbrush - but none compare to this 'low tech' solution - it really 'bites' into the plastic - giving a great base coat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit more progress for tonight.

 

Mrs Badger has finished cleaning up the last piece of fence which needs cutting before it can be fitted.

 

We've then started the trees, which being multi piece need cleaning up 🙄. Luckily these aren't as fiddly as the fences.

 

This one is mostly done and has had some filler applied to hide the join lines. This'll need cleaning up once it's dry.

2018-11-18_10-09-34

 

All in all a good day today!

 

All the best

 

Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/11/2018 at 15:57, Silver Fox said:

Why is it that the can you think has plenty in it runs out at the least opportune  moment? Lovely work on those buildings.

Thanks for looking in - rather pleased with the buildings myself but also rather glad they are now built :penguin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×