Warhammer undead diorama - 2ft square!!

badger

Whilst it may seem this build has been abandoned this is actually far from true.

Both myself and Mrs Badger have been spending the last few evenings cleaning up the abundant mould lines on the plastic graveyard buildings, walls and fences. There's miles of them and that's without mentioning the ejector pin marks!

Nothing worth a photo yet but the wall is all done with just two fence sections left.

The second mausoleum is 3/4 built and I started the third last night.

Once these are done then we can get on with more of the fun stuff on the board.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

Quick update

I've almost finished the mausoleum I'm building - just a couple of gargoyles and an ornamental spire to fit.

2018-11-06_10-10-52

All the best

Ben

• Like 7

Nice. I cheated on that one and put the gargoyles on the upper windowsills, to hide the tricky seam :) I suspect they don't do much for rainwater in that position though.

Will

• Thanks 1

Cheers Will

I had a good read through your build last week which was very useful.

I've got to get the filler back out for some ejector marks in the fence so will try and sort the windowsills and roof joints on this at the same time.

Be glad to get all the cleaning up done as it's really slowing the build down but at the same time makes all the difference in the finished piece.

All the best

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

What heresy is this?  :analintruder:

This is what I get up to when I'm not building tiny tanks!

No rivets, no "wrong colour", no scale problems, All good!

This is purely for fun and so far I'm really enjoying it (other than chuffing mould lines!)

All the best

Ben

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Progress!!

I've finished off the mausoleum I've been working on;

IMG_20181112_222935

Mrs Badger has also finished hers;

IMG_20181112_222955

That's the three buildings now done - just two lengths of fence left and the graveyard kit is ready to fit onto the board :ghost:

Can then have a lot more fun building up the groundwork:bounce:

All the best

Ben

• Like 5

Right - the weather here is distinctly 'ok' so the primer can is in some warm water and this lot are shortly off to get sprayed.

2018-11-17_09-32-49

This is the sum total of the last week or so - there is one piece of fence left still to finish cleaning up but that should be done tonight.

All the best

Ben

• Like 5

That's a serious amount of priming Ben - are we sure one can will be enough...

...looking forward to the next update - Happy Spray Saturday mate.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BIG X said:

That's a serious amount of priming Ben - are we sure one can will be enough

Sadly not! Had it been a full can I would have been ok, but there was only about 1/3 left so didn't manage to do it all.

Will pick another can up from halfords next time I'm passing as it's too cold to do anymore now as the suns moved off the back garden.

Plenty of other things still to do though.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

16 hours ago, badger said:

Sadly not! Had it been a full can I would have been ok, but there was only about 1/3 left so didn't manage to do it all.

Will pick another can up from halfords next time I'm passing as it's too cold to do anymore now as the suns moved off the back garden.

Plenty of other things still to do though.

All the best

Ben

In a bizarre twist of fate you prompted me to check my own Halfords Primer yesterday and guess what...  I realised my last can was nearly empty.  Now I haven't been anywhere near the bench in over a month - life is just getting in the way at present - but I did pop over to Halfords yesterday afternoon.  If only I'd known - I'd have got you a couple of cans too ;)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BIG X said:

In a bizarre twist of fate you prompted me to check my own Halfords Primer yesterday and guess what...  I realised my last can was nearly empty.  Now I haven't been anywhere near the bench in over a month - life is just getting in the way at present - but I did pop over to Halfords yesterday afternoon.  If only I'd known - I'd have got you a couple of cans too ;)

Glad to be of service :yes:

Luckily there's a branch just down from where I work.

Now - if I ever got a proper lunchbreak is another thing :swear:

Hopefully some progress later today as just about to start on it.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

Massive update time.

I've spent the afternoon working on the board to glue on all the components that we've spent the last couple of weeks getting ready.

The wall / fence is now on, bar one section which needs trimming to fit.

IMG_20181118_180410IMG_20181118_180407

The mausoleum bases are stuck down, as these have interior detail the main buildings will be painted separately then added later.

IMG_20181118_180413IMG_20181118_180419

I've started adding a variety of gravestones, there are more to add yet!

IMG_20181118_180448IMG_20181118_180456

IMG_20181118_180417IMG_20181118_180357

Once everything is stuck down then it will need a skim of filler to blend everything together before texturing and priming.

Thinking of buying a proper static grass machine to use on this rather than pre-made tufts.

More soon - off to clean up some trees.

All the best

Ben

• Like 7

Looking good. I wouldnt like to clean up the mould lines on these models, seems every time i look at my figures ive missed another one, nevermind on stuff that size.

All the talk of halfords primer, its something im needing to get also. Had a look on their website before going in tommorow and i see there are various types. Is it this stuff you are using? https://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/car-spray-paints/halfords-plastic-primer-spray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Trig said:

All the talk of halfords primer, its something im needing to get also. Had a look on their website before going in tommorow and i see there are various types. Is it this stuff you are using? https://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/car-spray-paints/halfords-plastic-primer-spray

Many thanks for looking in. It's a bit rough at the moment but is starting to come together a bit now.

Still loads to do, nevermind all the figures.

As for Halfords primer I use the ordinary grey which they sell in big cans. Have used it for years and it works well on metal, resin and plastic.

Have tried the plastic primer but to be honest I can't see any difference.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Trig said:

Looking good. I wouldnt like to clean up the mould lines on these models, seems every time i look at my figures ive missed another one, nevermind on stuff that size.

That's the one I use - but in the 500ml can - which is great value @ £7.49 - Grey Primer - the tiny code on the tin is 473116.  I've messed with loads of primers - via the airbrush - but none compare to this 'low tech' solution - it really 'bites' into the plastic - giving a great base coat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A bit more progress for tonight.

Mrs Badger has finished cleaning up the last piece of fence which needs cutting before it can be fitted.

We've then started the trees, which being multi piece need cleaning up 🙄. Luckily these aren't as fiddly as the fences.

This one is mostly done and has had some filler applied to hide the join lines. This'll need cleaning up once it's dry.

2018-11-18_10-09-34

All in all a good day today!

All the best

Ben

• Like 5

On 17/11/2018 at 15:57, Silver Fox said:

Why is it that the can you think has plenty in it runs out at the least opportune  moment? Lovely work on those buildings.

Thanks for looking in - rather pleased with the buildings myself but also rather glad they are now built :penguin:

• Like 1

Some further progress with the first tree built.

These are not quite as bad as the fence to clean up, but are still quite time consuming.

Mrs Badger has built the trunk and branches of the second which I've filled ready to add the leaves to.

2018-11-24_10-39-01

All the best

Ben

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

A quick update as there has been some progress on this, albeit very slowly.

The second and third tree trunks and branches are finished, ready for the leaves to be added.

Mrs Badger has been busy cleaning up and filling various figures for the board, currently she is working on a set of dire wolves.

We are both off for a few days together now, so hopefully there will be some progress worth photographing tomorrow!

I've been busy updating the plans so I'll leave with this tonight

2019-01-01_11-23-13

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

Ooh - nearly forgot to add that I had a static grass machine (Flockbox Fusion) as an Christmas present from Mrs Badger.

This will come in really handy for this build as it'll need a fair bit of grass applying!

Edited by badger
  • Like 1

Progress!!

Decided to start the day by cutting out the steps from the massive block of blue foam I bought a while back.

Once the rough shape was cut out I tried it for size on the board.

IMG_20190102_085424

This fit ok so I then drew up a template to mark the steps out. This was then transferred onto the foam block with a felt tip pen.

IMG_20190102_091921IMG_20190102_094542

Using a razor saw I then cut the steps out. This took a fair while and several coffees as one slip would have meant disaster.

Pretty pleased with that.

IMG_20190102_102514

This was then lightly sanded before starting to scribe the stonework in with a sharp pencil. There's a few rough areas, but some polyfilla will sort that out later

IMG_20190102_115525

I also carved out a passageway which will have a plastic doorframe added to it later on.

More soon

Ben

• Like 6

More progress!

After lunch I started to add the diamond pattern on the stair tops. This is based on a photograph of the gothic cemetery in Paris that is my inspiration.

This took a couple of hours of careful measuring and scribing with a fine fibre tip pen.

Once that was finished I recessed the doorway as advised by Mrs Badger (and it looks much better for it), then set about planning the stonework on the side.

My original idea didn't work as it was too fussy, so Mrs Badger suggested plain block work to match the wall at the front of the board.

This was a much better idea and turned out nicely. Just need to finish tidying it up then I can start the balustrade.

2019-01-02_07-22-00

• Like 11