Revell C-130K XV194 1967: Crud and Custard

Apparently, that's what RAF crews called this camouflage.

20181023-111529-1-Copy.jpg

20181023-111638-Copy.jpg

20181023-111654-Copy.jpg

20181023-111718-Copy.jpg

20181023-111731-Copy.jpg

20181023-111748-Copy.jpg

This is the ancient 1/140 Revell Hercules improved greatly by John Adams's excellent Aeroclub engines and props. I filled in the cargo door on the front port fuselage and a couple of windows, remade the inaccurate split nosewheel doors into a single piece that opens rearwards below the fuselage and I added the astrodome and some antennae.  I did leave off one blade antenna above the cockpit.  I didn't spot it until yesterday and I didn't want to mess the paint job plus I think it looks a bit silly on the real thing.  I also decided not to risk trying to put the antenna wires on. It's really laziness on my part but I'm going to call it artistic licence instead :-). The Air-Decals sheet was great but incorrect in that they had white underwing codes and they should be Medium Sea Grey.  I tried to change them with a coat of Tamiya Smoke but I used a brush instead of airbrushing them and they turned out a bit blotchy.  All in all, this is one for the shadowy end of the display cabinet but this had been sitting on the shelf for over a year and, with this completed, I now have no part-finished kits!!!!

The model represents XV194 c 1967. Like this:
XV194.jpg?m=1401649478.%5C

Unfortunately, she was written off in a crash in Norway in 1972 - see here (including sad pics):  [https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19720912-0

Comments and helpful suggestions welcomed and thanks for looking.

David

• Like 38

That looks good. I thought it was 1/72nd until I read your narrative.

Now I'm wondering, is this the same kit that I have from Matchbox?

It says 1/144 on the box. I think these 'black' Matchbox issues were by Revell.

Lovely work. Wouldn't it be great if the RAF did a retro schemed Herc? Would love to see this scheme in real life.