Actually picked this kit up for another GB, but decided to build something entirely different  (a Valentine tank that never got finished).   So hoping a small kit allows me to finish in time, though no favours for me on starting very late...

British+Armoured+Car,+Austin,+MK+III,+WW

British+Armoured+Car,+Austin,+MK+III,+WW

Plan is for the Austro-Hungarian car captured from the Russians.   Instructions call for an overall grey, but I'm not sure about that.   Something is telling me to go a green or khaki color.  A period photo has me thinking it retained it's Russian paint since there does not appear to be any markings of the original owner, but if anyone has an idea I would be glad to read about it:

austin_Aust.jpg.08e2e998e28784cf54bba219

Have also picked up the associated PE set from NorthStarModels:

Austin-3_5.jpg

Reviews of the kit are good, but there is a consensus of the instructions being a bit wanting when indicating exact location of parts.  

--------------------------------------

Construction began with test fitting of the larger parts, the body and bottom floor/frame.  I found the bottom a bit warped, so glued the two immediately before adding any small detail parts.   A metal clamp holds the two pieces together as it dries overnight:

43703556800_d98acac3de_b.jpg

I then turned my focus to the turrets, finding the wall halves are incorrectly numbered which would result in having two left halves together and the same with the right halves.  Easy to figure out when test fitting:

45469585032_47643935c0_b.jpg

When constructed, there are two noticeable gaps.  The turret walls do not meet at the back, which is easily fixed with some plastic sheet.   The other gap is the floor does not sit flush within the turret wall.  Not that it would be noticed anyways once the model is complete, but the provided PE takes care of that.   I also added a muzzle flash to one of the guns to match the period b/w photo.  It looks like the left hand turret had it's Maxim gun switched out for the Austrian made Schwarzlose machine gun?

regards,

Jack

• Like 5

Hi Jack, I'll follow this topic with great interest. I've just bought this nice simple kit for the same problem .... to be able to complete it. I've many "skeletons" lying on my model bench,

I have no experience on WWI tanks or armoured cars so my first doubt is bound to the Vallejo colours. The khaki colour for the Russian cars is correct? I suppose it's the same used on the original British production vehicles but the Vallejo colur is the proper one? Which is the FS number?

About the Austrian version I'm not so sure it's the Russian original colour. If you can wait till Saturday I come back home and I have some material on the Austrian Army in WWI. I cannot promise you an answer but maybe some informations.

Ezio

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the interest in this one.

As far as the colour call-outs go on the kit box, I've no idea to their accuracy as I really don't know what is historically correct.  To be honest, there are actually three nationalities that could influence the colour choice. 

First is British, as they produce these cars and delivered them to Russia.  Maybe they were left as is, or if they had British markings, then a repaint is quite likely.  The same idea holds true when captured by Austria.  If it had Russian markings, then it is likely they were painted out or complete repaint applied.

My reasoning for thinking the captured car is left in Russian colour is twofold.  First when looking at photos of Russian armoured cars, most appear to be without any markings, so no reason for repaint as there is nothing to cover up from previous owner.  Second is the fact the Austrians were for most of the war in a defensive posture.  This may have contributed to the military failing to see the tactical advantages of such a car.  Near the war's end an actual amoured car unit (platoon size) was created, the K.u.K. Panzerautozug No.1 and was based at Udine.   They were intended to be used for the future breakout on the Piave River, but hostilities ended by then.

Other sources of colour I have considered is to look at respective nations and the paint used on helmets and artillery pieces.  Here though we are at the mercy of museums and such - are we seeing original paint, or if repainted, was the original colour truthfully replicated.  Russian helmets are interesting, because, well they had none.   I have read they did order some from France, and these were sent in Horizon blue, to which the Russians repainted khaki.  The Austrians also produced their own helmet called the Berndorfer.  These also look to be painted in some shade of khaki.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 2

If I had to hazard a wager on the color issue I would definitely say that these cars were left in a green color remember that they would not have seen much "fronline contact".

Just my 2 pence.

Regards:

Shaun

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Construction is complete, tires left separate fro the painting stage.

43901639780_18bc74afe9_b.jpg

Concerning the headlights, original plan was to just use the kit part and forgo the PE mounts.  Instructions would have you use the original plastic with the detail carved off, but the problem is they are so small there is literally nothing to hold on to.  Then I had an idea to scratch build my own, starting with the PE mounts and gluing them to the ends of 0.4mm rods - the length seen in the corner photo is just to make it easier to handle , but are later trimmed shorter.   The headlight proper started with 1.2mm brass rod, with a tapered plastic rod of same diameter inserted at either end.   Again, longer lengths than necessary are utilized so they can be held until the very end.   What is nice now that they are on the car, once all painted up, the hollow openings can be filled with white glue to create clear lenses.

44994218194_eaa5fdbd7f_b.jpg

Nice detail on the undersides, but I decided to replace a few things for more in scale look.   The PE on the rear axle was actually a solid piece, but I found it slightly too long to fit properly.  I ended up trimming too short the two thin pieces, so had to replace with brass rods that were crimped flat to match the original PE section.

regards,

Jack

• Like 6

Thanks both Ian and Robert.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Just barely under the wire, but got the car posted in the GB Gallery.  Only had time for a single finished photo, but will take a few more tomorrow and under natural lighting.  Those will be posted in the afv ready forum.

44018615980_3f8a8b4b15_b.jpg

For the overall paint tone,  ended up just mixing a green from a couple of bottles from Vallejo's first release of their RAF boxed set.  Apparently these colours are off as they have since released new formulas boxed set, so have to get rid of them somehow.   I never could find any info on what paint these WW1 vehicles were.  I think whatever it was, must have been of British origins. since apparently the whole lot of series III cars were intended for Russia, so quite possibly never had any markings when shipped out.

44018617870_19e0f2d21a_b.jpg

regards,

Jack

• Like 3