Albatros DVa (the Airfix version)

Finished at last. Rigging was done in 0.25mm 'Titanium' coloured fishing line, which can be a bit tough to draw taut between fixing points - I think I'll learn the lesson and use EZ Line next time.

100_2879

Transfers are on after a thin coat of Decalfilm - the large crosses on the upper wings did show a bit of cracking after all.

100_2880

I did add in the additional braces in front of the main wing struts but I didn't attempt to put on a strap across the front of the engine covers as I felt that the curves to be negotiated were a bit too complex for my limited skills (and thick fingers!). 

100_2882

All in all, enjoyable to build as the 'spruce' effect fuselage hasn't turned out too badly and the Violet/Green colour scheme with those big Maltese crosses is pleasing to the eye.

100_2887

Spinner and blades leave a bit to be desired but as always, fun to attempt something new in way of an improvement to the kit inaccuracies.

100_2875

100_2876

I enjoyed it immensely, the experience always enhanced by the excellent BM community and the finished Albatros is so much better for the input given from this GB.- a big thank you to you all.   Until the next time...All the best. Mike.

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 4

That is a great little model Mike, the Mauve/Green camouflage and Birch Ply look fabulous. Well done on getting her finished and for having a go at rigging, it's not easy juggling with a model whilst trying to secure one end of a wire.

One way to keep tension in monofilament when rigging is to pass the thread through the hole and hang something like a clothes peg from the end that you are fixing - make sure that you keep a firm grip on the model though, as it is easily dragged away by the weight, please don't ask me how I know this because I am still having nightmares. :winkgrin:

As an alternative you could use fine wire for the rigging, I have used Albion Alloys 0.1mm Nickel Silver rod for some projects (they describe it as rod but I would class it as wire). Drill the holes just the same - no need to drill through in this case though - and cut the wire to a suitable length that will allow you to bend it slightly and spring it into place. The Nickel Silver is a bit bright, so you may want to dull it down with a matt coat or some black paint.

Of course, having said that, EZ Line is a great alternative and the simplest way to go. :D

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Drill the holes just the same - no need to drill through in this case though - and cut the wire to a suitable length that will allow you to bend it slightly and spring it into place. 

Thanks for that, John. Using the wire sounds like an excellent Top Tip to me as there will be no holes punched through to the 'visible' sides of the wings and hence a better finish. Handling during rigging gets me sweating as I find one hand needs to remain 'firm' in keeping a grip of the model and the other needs to be 'light' while threading and tensioning. I was using a blob of bluetac pressed to a surface to try to maintain tension while glue dried but I think the fishing line is a bit too slippy for that. Great fun though! All the best and 'see you' in another GB. Mike

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

That is a very nice DVa @Ventora3300

Many thanks Robert and congratulations again on the excellent GB. There has been a wide range of kits completed here with very interesting subjects and the usual high quality modelling on show. All great historical learning, for me anyway, and a great deal of fun. All the best. Mike.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Using the wire sounds like an excellent Top Tip to me as there will be no holes punched through to the 'visible' sides of the wings and hence a better finish.

Mike,

This tiny Sopwith Pup, perched on a 1p coin, is one of Valom's 1/144th scale bi-planes, and has been rigged with 0.1mm wire. It's a bit overscale for this kit, but I hope that it inspires you to give it a try on your next bi-plane build.

45968054951_be07b55d70_z.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Cheers buddy.

• Thanks 1