Spitfire A-Go-Go and the Revell 1/72nd Spitfire Mk.IIa, new tool...

Fresh from the Air Fighting Development Unit, RAF, Duxford here is Revell's Spitfire Mk.IIa.  Not a bad build and I had some issues, mostly of my own making.  Read the WiP thread to find out more...I have left out a lot of weathering and muck.  As a non-combative aircraft, it would have avoided much of that.

Most of the paints are Vallejo or Vallejo Air except for the topside which are both Tamiya--XF-81 and -82.  The decals are a slight mix since the fuselage decals were so out of register.  I cannibalized the roundels from a Mk.V Revell kit and they worked out fine.  In any case...here it is!

43694057640_bb14cdb8cd_z_d.jpg

31638597848_5e35cc2db8_z_d.jpg

44597222635_d207d3713d_z_d.jpg

31638596098_5972080715_z_d.jpg

Thanks!

--John

Edited by John D.C. Masters
sepelinlg
  • Like 36

Nice model.  Now to find the WiP thread....

Question: as I am no expert did the Spitfire IIa have bulges in the top wing?

I thought that as due to the cannons being installed.  In which case not a IIa.

FFH

2 hours ago, FatFlyHalf said:

Nice model.  Now to find the WiP thread....

Question: as I am no expert did the Spitfire IIa have bulges in the top wing?

I thought that as due to the cannons being installed.  In which case not a IIa.

FFH

Very nice finish on that one.

As to the bumps, they look like they are for the wheel wells which in itself i don't think is appropriate to a IIa during the war. 

Arabest,

geoff.

Hi,

whatever the experts will say about the illegal presence of various bulges,  bumps and fairings of all shapes, I think your Spit is plain lovely! Great build and great paint job.

The decals are tip top too!

So all in all, Congrats!!!

JR

• Like 1

Very nice job on that Spitfire! If you've done the Airfix Mk.II, how do they compare (I've already built the Airfix kit - I just need to paint it)? I'm always looking for new Spitfire kits to spend my money on! The 30 or so kits I have just don't seem to be enough.

Best Regards,

Jason

Jason...I couldn't find an Airfix kit so I am not sure.  I do, however, have an AZ Model Mk.II in the post somewhere over Europe at the moment.  

And thank you Jean.  Yes.  OOB is usually my best effort, regardless of accuracy.  

6 hours ago, Jazzie said:

Very nice finish on that one.

As to the bumps, they look like they are for the wheel wells which in itself i don't think is appropriate to a IIa during the war. 

Arabest,

geoff.

This is a photograph of a Spitfire II from the Flickr account of Etienne 

Spitfire II. 1941.

It's hard to see the wheelwell bulge.

Here's a photograph of a Spitfire I where the wheelwell bulge is clearly (to me) visible:

spit2_0.png

Here's a thread on the subject - Post no.4 onwards are worth reading.

Edited by Beard

Sorry mr beard, my intention was to help out and missed out my intended reference to the size of the bumps. 

Arabest,

Geoff.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
52 minutes ago, brinjal said:

Im nearly finishing on mine, but i do realise the squadron letters are in sky color, exactly like the tail band, shouldnt they be in white/ light grey?

spacer.png

Squadron codes should be sky on green/grey camo; light grey (medium sea grey?) codes was the rule on the earlier green/brown camouflage. 

HTH

Will

20 minutes ago, malpaso said:

Squadron codes should be sky on green/grey camo; light grey (medium sea grey?) codes was the rule on the earlier green/brown camouflage. 

HTH

Will

Ok i was confused with the AMO.

But, AMO 664 is dated July 1942, which calls for day fighters to be in dark green and ocean grey in upper surfaces, and medium sea grey undersurfaces. It also calls for spinners and squadron codes to be in sky, so yes, sky squadron codes. 

but Revell says this is April 1942, which AMO664 hadnt been issued yet?:hmmm:

Grey/Green was introduced August 1941.  From May(?) 1942 the roundel proportions changed to the narrow white and yellow rings.  So Revell may be right for that aircraft in April 42.

This is old but generally well covers the colour schemes of NW Europe Spitfires.

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Camouflage-Markings/Supermarine-Spitfire