CONCORDE AIR FRANCE , HELLER 1/125

Another awkward kit from Heller...

Having built the Revell re-release of Heller's huge 1/72 Concorde,I thought the 1/125 kit would be in the same quality.

Boy was I wrong...

At first sight it looks like a downscale of their 1/72 kit,but it isn't.

Some parts have the same breakdown others are completely new.The landing gear is a joke,and because no display stand is included,I used a Revell stand from a 747 kit.

Also the visor looked off,I decided to order a windows set from DRAW decal and use them instead.It improves the look signifficantly.

The overall shape is very nice though,Heller captured the graceful lines of the Concorde very well.

The kit has no option for a gear up build,so some modifications are needed.

The plasitc was very soft and almost no part fitted without problems,esp.the wings were a pain.More than once I was tempted to crash this kit in the bin but I pushed on with it.

Finally,after months of adjusting,sanding...filling...sanding...shelf time and more filling and sanding the Concorde was ready for the paintjob.

Revell gloss white overall ,polished and clearcoated.

Surprisingly the kits decals worked fine,even the tail fin decals bended over the curves without issues...

Having completed 4 Concordes,only the NITTO 1/100 kit is left undone.As that one represents the prototype version,I need to find decals for the prototype before starting on it.

That kit offers markings for Japan Airlines and Air France only.

Japan Airlines was an early customer to the Concorde,but cancelled the order as all other airlines did due to the oil crisis in the 1970s.

Enjoy,

20181022-175710.jpg

20181022-175657.jpg

20181022-175717.jpg

20181022-175733.jpg

20181022-175748.jpg

• Like 22

Very nice indeed, almost in formation with the cat. 

I’m doing the Airfix 1/72  version at the moment & am struggling to find any enthusiasm for it. Currently awaiting another pallet of filler. 

Pete

Edited by Buzby061
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Buzby061 said:

Very nice indeed, almost in formation with the cat. 

I’m doing the Airfix 1/72  version at the moment & am struggling to find any enthusiasm for it. Currently awaiting another pallet of filler. 

Pete

Thank you very much Pete.

I guess kitty was wondering where the Concordes nose is pointing to... 😉

Interestingly,I found not much trouble with the 1/72 kit.I read lots of negative feedback for this kit but it went together surprisingly well

• Like 1

Excellent finish on your cat's SMM (Surface to Mouse Missile). :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

I remember seeing Heller's 1/125 airliner kits in the shops some time ago, but never purchased one. Now I'm sorry that I didn't succumb before austerity hit my wallet.

mike

• Like 1

looks beautiful to me - I was sifting through the box contents of my own kit of the same last week - it has the BA Landor decals in it but they will need to go if I can find some BA Chatham alternatives. Your models visor looks brilliant with the 26 decal

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mitchem said:

Excellent finish on your cat's SMM (Surface to Mouse Missile). :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

I remember seeing Heller's 1/125 airliner kits in the shops some time ago, but never purchased one. Now I'm sorry that I didn't succumb before austerity hit my wallet.

mike

Thank you very much Mike.

🙂 yah kittie seemed impressed first while taking pics of my models but soon lost interessed and went for some food...again

The Heller kit is still availabe today but I would either opt for the 1/72 or the 1/144 Revell kit. The 1/125 Concorde is a real dog of a kit,maybe it was me or I was expecting too much of it...

A beautiful model of a beautiful aircraft.  I've been looking at your recent plethora of postings in wonder of the superbly fine finishes you achieve.  Personally I think the Air France scheme is the most stylish design to have been applied to Concorde. 

• Like 1

On 27/10/2018 at 09:48, exdraken said:

Fantastic!. If s bit big.....

You could do another one in 1/48.... HPH have one.... 

Colors really suit her well!

Thank you very much

I know about the HPH kit.

But for its very high price,the quality of the kit is questionable.Many parts call for scratch build as they are simply missing in the kit.And thats certainly not acceptable regarding the kits price tag.

I built the 1/72 IL-62 from HPH and I was not overly impressed