BOEING 717-200 QANTAS LINK ,EASTERN EXPRESS 1/144

Eastern Express was not known for quality kits not too long ago.

But they changed significantly and their Boeing 717 (McDonnell-Douglas MD-95) kit is a superb kit in every aspect.

They recently released other Douglas airliners,such as the MD-87,DC-9-30 and MD-80 along with others.

The MD-87 is already in my stash and the MD-80 is to follow but the Boeing 717 is now the first one that I have built.

It is very detailed,although in my opinion they overdid it with the landing gear.It looks teriffic but there are so tiny parts,its almost impossible to hold them with a tweezer.If they snip off...its a victim for the carpet monster...it happened to the front landing gear which I had to replace with a piece from a AZ-Model DC-9-30...

The fit is quite good but its not Revell Airliner standard and all parts need careful cleaning and dryfitting.If one's aware of that,the build is straight forward.

The other thing that impresses me with those new Eastern Express kits, is their quality improvement on their decals.They are superb and nice to work with and Eastern Express offers some very interesting paint schemes on each of their airliners,which makes it difficult to make a choice...

I really liked the Qantas Link scheme with the Tasmanian Devil

I painted the whole fuselage with Revell gloss white,the wings are Testors aircraft grey and the metall areas are Revell metallics.

Clear coated with Future.

Hope you like her

20181022-174617.jpg

20181022-174605.jpg

20181022-174631.jpg

20181022-174640.jpg

20181022-174652.jpg

20181022-174713.jpg

Edited by Alex1978
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nice one Alex, :thumbsup:

I watch this aircraft out of my office window on approach to Canberra every few days. I too have one of these to build but not the EE though.

Thank you very much.

Which one do you have ?

The Welsh kit ?

That’s really excellent Alex.  I’ve never been a fan of Eastern Express but the 717 looks good although I suspect that’s as much due to the builder as the kit.

Please keep them coming!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

That’s really excellent Alex.  I’ve never been a fan of Eastern Express but the 717 looks good although I suspect that’s as much due to the builder as the kit.

Please keep them coming!

Thank you very much.

The kit is really great and I can recommend it in every aspect.I buy the Eastern Express kits now via ebay from a very reliable seller in Russia.The prices are reasonable compared to some other shops in GB or Switzerland  and the shipping is fast

On 10/23/2018 at 9:08 AM, Alex1978 said:

Thank you very much.

Which one do you have ?

The Welsh kit ?

Alex, it is the Contrails resin kit. I understand it has some accuracy issues with engine size but I will live with it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mitchem said:

Impressive to say the least. :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Saw my one and only 717 (Volotea) in Verona and sorely tempted by your build.

mike

Thank you Mike.

Unfortunately I never saw one in real 😞 They are very rare at our airports

I can really recommend the Eastern Express kit,I had lots of fun building this one

Ok, I expected an actual 717.  But it's brilliant. The 717 was actually I believe the KC135 fuselage, which is narrower than the 707 fuselage. 

Just shows so how nerdy I am. Really nerdy.

But I do like the the DC9 and it's derivatives.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noelh said:

Ok, I expected an actual 717.  But it's brilliant. The 717 was actually I believe the KC135 fuselage, which is narrower than the 707 fuselage. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_C-135_Stratolifter This thing? Wow didn't know about that before...

6 hours ago, noelh said:

It is originally a MD-95 from McDonnell-Douglas and the last version of the famous DC-9 / MD-80 family.

After the merger (takeover) with Boeing,they kept the MD-95 program alive for a few years but renamed it in 717 to continue the 7X7 type naming.

The sales were low so Boeing stopped production of this type and also did not produce larger versions,as formerly plant by MDD as Boeing didn't want to have a competitor to their best selling 737 family.The last 717/MD-95 was delivered in 2006.

On 27/10/2018 at 20:35, Turbofan said:

Hi Alex,

I really like this!

Good to see one of these new EE Dc9/MD80/717s built up. If I can find one cheap enough I'd like to get hold of a DC9.

Cheers,

Ian

Thank you Ian

I can recommend this ebay seller: https://www.ebay.ch/usr/ee-models

He ships from Moscow,is very reliable and does fast shipping.Usually takes 8-10 days to Switzerland.

The prices are much lower than other shops like Hannants.

I don't know for the shipping to the UK,but its worth checking it out