Old Sprues

RudyBob

In the bin

To stir paint, I use Macdonalds or Greggs wooden coffee stirrers(cut in 2)

To decant paint or thinners from tins or bottles I use the straws from MacDonalds(Cut into 3)

• Haha 1

Other than the things already mentioned, unusually shaped bits of sprue (apparently we should be calling them 'runners' not sprue) can be useful for scratch building parts. I often use clear sprue for wingtip lights.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Gorby said:

Other than the things already mentioned, unusually shaped bits of sprue (apparently we should be calling them 'runners' not sprue) can be useful for scratch building parts. I often use clear sprue for wingtip lights.

I was going to post about wingtip lights. I have a couple that I have been thinking to color. What would be good to do that yet maintain transparency. A red sharpie?

Edited by RudyBob
I don't want this inserted in that

On 10/22/2018 at 4:49 PM, rayprit said:

In the bin

To stir paint, I use Macdonalds or Greggs wooden coffee stirrers(cut in 2)

To decant paint or thinners from tins or bottles I use the straws from MacDonalds(Cut into 3)

Think I need to get some fries, a shake and some straws

On 10/22/2018 at 4:49 PM, rayprit said:

4 hours ago, RudyBob said:

I have a couple that I have been thinking to color. What would be good to do that yet maintain transparency. A red sharpie?

I use Tamiya's range of 'clear' paints - X23 to X27.

• 5 months later...
On 10/23/2018 at 1:43 PM, Gorby said:

'runners' not sprue

Don't tell the sprue brothers, man, that will be one hell of a board meeting...... After decades of operation, we just realized that we are ignorant of the art we most represent, now its time to officially rename the organization "runner-brothers" as a cost of 400 million dollars, all in favor say "iiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeooooooowwwwwwcccccccccchhhhhhhhhh!"

PS. No Christmas bonuses for the next twelve years, except for those in the room now, let the little guys pay for it. Now that is corporate America!

• Like 1

On 10/25/2018 at 6:38 AM, RudyBob said:

Red Sharpie

Today, I live in the Philippines. In my junk drawer, I have a blue sharpie. This marker has a LOT of history. I first picked up the sharpie when having cable internet installed back in 2000, the installer accidentally left it in my home, it has cox communitations written on the side. So for nearly three years, it was my go-to marker. Then I packed it up and placed it on storage when I joined the Army. Went to training and off to my new base in Germany, while the Army paid for my storage unit. 3 years pass, and I return home, get my stuff from storage, and the marker still works. So for about three years, it was in my belt pouch as I did carpentry work, used on all kinds of surfaces, including wood. Then I moved to the Philippines in 2008. I packed up my trusty marker for a voyage around the globe. It arrived a few months after I did, and has continued to work for the last ten years the humid climate of the Philippines. It has marked my boxes for no less than 6 moves into new homes and is STILL going strong!

The people at sharpie should be proud, they have created a product that last longer than more cars! I love that marker, it had been through ups and downs with me, but it never quits!

Anthony