CONVAIR 990 CORONADO GENERAL DYNAMICS ,ANCIENT REVELL KIT

11 hours ago, mitchem said:

You've spoiled us recently with all of your fine builds and your Coronados are no exception. Many thanks for posting. :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

mike

Thank you very much Mike.

Yes,I thought I am going to post all my finished airliners at once so that there will be more civvie stuff be seen at BM as there was already a nice collection of different builds shown in the last days

My last finished build for the moment will be posted soon.

A Revell DC-8-63 Flying Tigers with resin engines

• Like 1

Hi Alex,

Wow these two are really sharp, I love 'em! The kit certainly looks accurate, how well do they build?

Like Neil(woody37) I've got the F-RSIN kit, in fact, I think it is Neil's which I bought from him off eBay many years ago! and I've never built it either!

I should add one to my fleet as it's a beautiful looking airliner.

I don't remember Coronados much either but I'm sure I've seen Spantax ones at Gatwick back around 1980.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

On 27/10/2018 at 21:29, Turbofan said:

Hi Alex,

Wow these two are really sharp, I love 'em! The kit certainly looks accurate, how well do they build?

Like Neil(woody37) I've got the F-RSIN kit, in fact, I think it is Neil's which I bought from him off eBay many years ago! and I've never built it either!

I should add one to my fleet as it's a beautiful looking airliner.

I don't remember Coronados much either but I'm sure I've seen Spantax ones at Gatwick back around 1980.

Cheers,

Ian

Thank you very much Ian,

The F-RSIN kit is not the best as I have read.

The only really well done kit is the Authentic Airliners resin version in 1/144,but as far as injection moulded kits go,the Revell one is really nice,not perfect but it looks the part.

Maybe the only problem is,that its not really 1/144.Its about 1/137...Revells "famous" box size = scale

They build up quite nicely,although with some fitting issues here and there,its an ancient kit so don't expect Tamyia quality.

But I can highly recommend it and its worth picking up,when one should show up somewhere for a reasonable price.

Edited by Alex1978

Beautiful job on that -990 Alex.

Aside from the fact its an odd scale (1/137th i think), Revell did a very good job capturing the shapes of the Coronado. Clearly they had learned from having done the 707, DC-8 and Caravelle.

Given the age of the kit, it represents the original -990 configuration, before the aerodynamic fixes were incorporated in the -990A version. The Authentic Airliners kit captures a lot of those fixes and shape nuances nicely...... but we're also talking a difference of over 50 years in the advancing state of the art in model making technology.

-d-

• 3 years later...
48 minutes ago, Ad-4N said:

Atlantis models has re-released the 990, so now is the time to snag one.  Great job on your 990, by the way.

Thank you very much.

Yes,saw that and its already on my wishlist☺