CONVAIR 990 CORONADO GENERAL DYNAMICS ,ANCIENT REVELL KIT

Finally I have mostly cleared my bench of part started kits and renovation works that had got piled up over the last year and years.So today there will be quite an amount of airliners showing up on BM...So here is No.1...

Last year I was lucky to find another Revell Convair 990 kit on a Swiss auction platform.

Together with that kit,the seller also sent me a completed model,which was in a very sorry state.

It must have been some decades old already and it was mostly unpainted,just the top was hand painted white.The rest was unpainted palstic with the Swissair decals applied.

It sat on my desk for quite a while,until I had my plans ready for a complete redo,repair and repaint work on this classic Revell kit.

The first task was to get rid of the old paint,Revells Paint remover worked perfectly for this.

Then the unpainted landing gear had to go and all the seams hat to be puttied and sanded smooth as well as some repair work that had to be done.

The landing gear was replaced with an unused set that I had left over from my first Revell CV-990 which I built in-flight.

After all clean-up and repairwork was completed,it was time for the new paint and livery.

I chose the prototype scheme which I think is very elegant.

The superb decal set comes from Vintage Flyers and is really nice to work with.

For the white I used Testors Classic White,the natural metal parts are painted with Revell metallics and finished with a light coat of Future to give it a nice and shiny appearance.

I hope you like it

20181022-174430.jpg

20181022-174437.jpg

20181022-174447.jpg

20181022-174502.jpg

20181022-174515.jpg

20181022-174526.jpg

• Like 45
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Alex1978 said:

I hope you like it

Love that ,great job . Really have a soft spot for the Convair Jetliners . In the UK the 990 was thin on the ground , the 880 barely made an appearance . Couple of Swissair 880s HB-ICL and ICM  ,on loan from Convair while waiting for 990 deliveries . I found out on here last year that JAL did a couple of visits in 1963 !

My choice...I'd have preferred the Yellow Northeast Airlines 990 scheme but the Convair House Colours do look really very good ,clean and crisp and you've excelled there . Have you pictures of the wheels up 990 you mentioned ? I must have missed that , please can you put some pictures on here ?

Well done , nice change from the normal Jets and thanks for showing !

• Like 2

Lovely model Alex, thanks for sharing.  I look forward to the other models you've promised us. We've had a good run of civil RFIs recently and the more the merrier.

I hope the cats are well even if they have stopped appearing in your photos.

Dave G

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skodadriver said:

Lovely model Alex, thanks for sharing.  I look forward to the other models you've promised us. We've had a good run of civil RFIs recently and the more the merrier.

I hope the cats are well even if they have stopped appearing in your photos.

Dave G

Thank you very much Dave.

I saw that.Lots of great civvies on BM recently.

Yes,the cats are fine,our girl made an appearance today while the photoshoot was on.She should be on some of the pics.

2 hours ago, bzn20 said:

Love that ,great job . Really have a soft spot for the Convair Jetliners . In the UK the 990 was thin on the ground , the 880 barely made an appearance . Couple of Swissair 880s HB-ICL and ICM  ,on loan from Convair while waiting for 990 deliveries . I found out on here last year that JAL did a couple of visits in 1963 !

My choice...I'd have preferred the Yellow Northeast Airlines 990 scheme but the Convair House Colours do look really very good ,clean and crisp and you've excelled there . Have you pictures of the wheels up 990 you mentioned ? I must have missed that , please can you put some pictures on here ?

Well done , nice change from the normal Jets and thanks for showing !

Thank you very much.

I still have an unbuild Revell Coronado in my stash,undecided waht scheme I should do.Northeast would be an option.The yellow bird looks excellent.

As for your request,here are pics of my Swissair Coronado.

The kits decals were unusable,so I had to paint the whole livery using my airbrush.

The titles and logos are from the Convair 880 kit from Glencoe.As this kit has a slightly bigger scale,but the original aircraft being smaller than the Coronado,these decals matched almost perfectly on the Revell kit.

20170324-180623.jpg

20170324-180614.jpg

20170324-180635.jpg

20170324-180647.jpg

20170324-180701.jpg

20170324-180726.jpg

20170324-180742.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

my Swissair Coronado

Lovely  "Smokin' Joe" , another masterpiece . Thanks Alex !

I've no idea how old you are unless 1978 is  clue . Did you ever see the two Swissair CV880s ? 1961/62 ish

• Like 1

A very nice Coronado. The CV-990 maybe is the most sexy airliner ever. One day, I would like to build one in Spantax livery. This company will be forever associated with the type as they have crashed 3 of them.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, General Jumbo said:

That's lovely! I had no idea a kit of the 990 was ever available. I have a real soft spot for the Coronado after seeing the Spantax one at Palma de Mallorca.

The F-RSIN kit is still available in 1/144

Grappe%20990%20480.jpg

990%20Garuda%20480.jpg

990%20Varig%20480.jpg

990%20AF%20480.jpg

990%20Swissair%20480.jpg

http://www.f-rsin.com/pages/collection/990.html

2 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

Uh-oh! Look what you've done! Now I'm going to have to get one!

Edit: it would be cool to finish it as the hugely corroded one that sat are Palma until recently. Probably beyond my weathering skill level though!

Edited by General Jumbo
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, General Jumbo said:

Uh-oh! Look what you've done! Now I'm going to have to get one!

There's also a company called Joy Decals who do a later version

https://joydecals.com/1-144-scale-decal-spantax-final-convair-cv-990a-laser-decal/

144-604_Spantax_Final_Coronado__91738.14

Edited by VMA131Marine

19 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

scheme I should do

Iberia leased one in 1967, EC-BJC from Spantax at the same time as Air France  leased N5605 from Modern Air Transport shown above . The whole fuse (apart from cheatline !) polished NMF , it looked ace . What a surprise that was when they arrived at Heathrow .

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

Wonderful job on these old beauties! The 990 and the 880 were both beautiful jets, and you have captured the 990 so very well. And I am truly amazed that you made such a  good find on eBay; with one built and ready to restore. :clap2:

Thank you very much.

Yes,I was indeed very lucky that time.

The Revell kit is very hard to find and its also a shame that Revell never re-released this kit in later years as this is IMHO actually a lot better ,shape-wise ,than the f-rsin one.The only negative aspect is that its not in true 1/144 scale.Its around 1/137

1 minute ago, Alex1978 said:

The Revell kit is very hard to find and its also a shame that Revell never re-released this kit in later years as this is IMHO actually a lot better ,shape-wise ,than the f-rsin one.

If the mould still exists, there is a good chance that it is now owned by Atlantis Models who bought much of the legacy Revell, Monogram, Aurora, etc tooling that remained in the US after the Hobbico/Revell bankruptcy. Atlantis is planning to re-release a lot of these old kits so the chances that the 990 will be available again at some point in the future look a lot better.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bzn20 said:

Lovely  "Smokin' Joe" , another masterpiece . Thanks Alex !

I've no idea how old you are unless 1978 is  clue . Did you ever see the two Swissair CV880s ? 1961/62 ish

Thank you.

Yes,1978 is my birth year.Unfortunately I never saw the Swissair 880s/990s as they went out of service in 1975.

One CV-990 in Swissair C/S is on display in the Lucerne technic museum and can also be visited inside and you can also sit in the lounge.I was there recently and am still amazed of this aircraft.

The Spantax CV-990s were also frequent visitors at our local airport as I found out ,but I can't remember if I ever saw one.I was maybe also too young then to identify these jets.Back then as a kid,I knew the DC-9 and of course the 747.

Spantax flew the 990 until 1987.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

If the mould still exists, there is a good chance that it is now owned by Atlantis Models who bought much of the legacy Revell, Monogram, Aurora, etc tooling that remained in the US after the Hobbico/Revell bankruptcy. Atlantis is planning to re-release a lot of these old kits so the chances that the 990 will be available again at some point in the future look a lot better.

That would be great.

If they ever release that kit again,I will get me a larger number for my stash 😉

22 hours ago, General Jumbo said:

That's lovely! I had no idea a kit of the 990 was ever available. I have a real soft spot for the Coronado after seeing the Spantax one at Palma de Mallorca.

Me too on both points. I did get the F-resin  kit but the soft plastic and heavy flash put me off building it

• Like 1

Just fab! A great plane and, of course, there were many around in the U.K. in the 70s - Spantax (also most hourly at Gatwick ;) ), Swissair and Modern Air... A great couple of models!

Martin

• Like 1