Three amphibias: Duck, Goose, Gosling

JWM

Hi 

I will try to do three amphibias of WWII by Grumman: Duck (Airfix), Goose (Sword) and Gosling (Pavla).

Duck will be my second attempt on this kit after 50 years (!) - first I did at age of 9. It was my second "serious" model of airplane (if I do not count some Ruch models made before) in 1/72. Serious also means that it was painted and models done before it were not painted. . As far as I remember and then after about next 10 years I broken it into pieces, washed out all paint  and - converted it into.... Ge-23 (FF1) which is still existing on my shelvs! I posted it not long ago on RFI:

So I am not decided on version and scheme yet. Maybe it will be J2f4 converted from j2f6.

Second will be Pavla Gosling or Wigdeon - in colours of US Coast Guard from 1942, so not yellow/silver  but blue/gray colours. I have never done Gosling/Widgeon before. 

The third one will be Goose in some US colours. The kit is by Sword. I have no experience with Goose neither.

I will post photos of kits in another post very soon. I have to do them.

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 5

Nice choices!

I see a spray rail in the Goose box art. I'm not convinced any USAAC/USAAF or USN Goose ever had those spray rails. I was led astray by this when I built CM's 1/48 Goose.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I gathered drawings for Duck scaled all to 1/72. However now I have to judge which is the best one, since they change a lot one to onother,,,

30847522357_2cf16e6e83_b.jpg

Any suggestions, comments?

Regards

J-W

My kit is J2F6 since it is Airfix. My question is a bit aside of my build - on some drawing J2F5 and F6 have the same cowling, on other F5 has shorter then F6. I have to judge which is correct? For me it is a general test for credibility which drawings use as the proper one.  If I look at photos F5 has indeed shorter cowling chord than F6.

(of course we are talking about NACA cowling of late variants, not the very short Towdend of early machines)

ww2%20ab5.jpg

43477285615_ba4995d8be.jpg

The F6 is characteristic due to to air  outlets shortly behind the cowling, like here:

328792.jpg

J2F4 sometimes is shown (descripted) as mashines with Towdend, sometime with NACA cowl.

Cheers

J-W

• Like 3

True, the drawings themselves could have mistakenly included or mislabeled features from multiple versions. And, photos of specific aircraft could have post-manufacturing modifications further confounding identification. And in particular, a current aircraft, airworthy or not, could have just have the wrong parts due to availability.

I have some J2F materials from Grumman. For the -4, I have their 1/48 scale "Model Builders Drawing", and for the -5 the "Erection Procedures." The -5 document should be authoritative since it was contemporaneous with the aircraft. The model drawing is from 1966; so while from Grumman, it's not quite primary documentation.

Edited by dnl42
Grammar
  • Like 1

This Goose landed on the Avon River, at Windsor, Nova Scotia, while transporting WWI ace Billy Bishop from Halifax to Ottawa. About 3 miles away, above the port engine, is the home of my grandparents. My father bought it from his brother, who had inherited the farm and that's where I grew up before I moved west in 1980.

37970149404_d46fde91b8_b.jpg

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC192P5_billy-bishop-visits-windsor-feb8?guid=b88c90ae-e950-4f12-a23a-a36e2607fcdc

.item?app=fondsandcol&op=img&id=a092528-

Chris

• Like 7

I strated work on Goose and Goslling which will be almost OOBs. 

Here what I have:

Gosling:

45850942681_9b15f993bc_b.jpg

Goose

45850944401_db48681698_b.jpg

The Duck will be build a bit later since it will be a conversion to J2F5 (most likely)

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1

The riging of small floats I have to do before glueing wings together.  So in both Goose and Gosling I drilled holes in floats and glued them to bottom  halves of wings:

45867019541_f72b22d646_b.jpg

44953803565_20ce6b0924_b.jpg

In case of goose i have to study more photos to check more precisely the places for drilling the wings...

I made more slim and shaped props of  Gosling today also (left after, right before it):

45867017911_6d8f76ec30_b.jpg

That is all for today, let the float get fixed

Cheers

J-W

• Like 4

Ambitious build thread. I'll be following along as I'm doing a Goose as well, albeit in FAA colours. So far I've only done a bit of painting but have had to clear out massive ejection pins from the wheel wells. Good luck with all three. 

Edited by 825
  • Like 1

Many thanks !

Today only Gosling.

Riging of floats . One have to do it before wings are glued together. Then you glue wings. This is result:

32011861728_dddfaa8480_b.jpg

45833520342_3cb09436a4_b.jpg

And some more of inside

32011862988_2ccecc7f40_b.jpg

Cheers

J-W

• Like 6

More obout Widgeon/Gosling

Here ( https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/grumman-j4f-1-widgeon-uscg-wild-frederick-g-military-usa-coast-guard-victory-mark ) is nice shot.

The red submarine is a victory mark. It is said that man in cockpit is Lt. Commandr Frederic G. Wild. 

Next interesting take is here: https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/grumman-j4f-1-widgeon-military-usa-coast-guard-air-transport-airports-usa-new

Here is photo with depth charges

J4F_1_Janes_43_44.jpg

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

Some progress with Gosling/Widgeon happened today:

32071605288_50db136371_b.jpg

Props are made rotable, but I am not sure if it will work after glueing engins. I gope at least - they will!

Cheers

J-W

• Like 3

Since Gosling/Widgeon waits for adding some detail I dd progress with  Gosling [edit: Goose] 

I glued in all windows (and from inside paited them with gloss varnish). Here is what we have:

32120331678_8b1297edc7_b.jpg

I glued those tree parts  together and press tighty to reduce gaps.

45266874784_4a0b3e7b95_b.jpg

So it is glued:

32120329308_4124329f6c_b.jpg

45991295231_315cf830b9_b.jpg

To be continued

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM
correction (marked)
  • Like 5