P-51 Mustang Mk.III RAAF

Dear all,

Please find below some images of another recent build. It's the 1:72 Academy P-51C Mustang build as a Mustang Mk.III of the RAAF, as operated from Fano, Italy, on the Adriatic coast in 1944. I used an Eduard Zoom set for the cockpit and dropped the flaps, while the guns were replaced with brass tubes and the kit's bombs with some Eduard Brassin items. The camouflage was sprayed on using a masking set from Kora Models.

The decals are from On Target decals for Commonwealth Mustangs as I liked the Southern Cross image on the tail. It's a great little sheet, but it has unfortunately a few errors when it comes to instructions. The Mustangs from 3 Sqn RAAF didn't have a medium blue spinner but a red one (like all allied fighter aircraft in Italy) and didn't have the white identification bands on the wings and tail. They didn't have the yellow markings on the wings either, but I only found that out after I finished painting the whole lot, so I left that as it was.

I hope you like it!

Peter

540.jpg540.jpg540.jpg

PS: looking at the images I realize I need to add a bit more grime to the wheels... These Mustangs were kept well but worked hard.

• Like 27

Thank you for your kind comment Kitchen Modeller. IMHO Academy indeed offers great value for money with decent shapes, general good fit and finely recessed panel lines.

With the Mustang I particularly like the fact that you can model the cockpit open, without having to resort to major surgery. The only tricky bit is the separate tail section, to accommodate the versions with and without fin fillet. But take care aligning the port and starboard fuselage sides and you hardly need any filler around the tail.

Peter