Gloss varnish

Tony Lynn

Good day fellow People, I have just joined this forum and I have just started to get back in model making since I was a very young man - which was a very long time ago in a Galaxy Far away - Any way moving swiftly on, the issue - Gloss Varnish, brought a few books been watching some amazing people on U Tube, and have just started work on a 1/52 scale Sherman, Decals on but have only satin Varnish and finding the capillary action not working so well when using oil pin wash, I have a Nero airbrush, getting to grips with it, now what gloss varnish product would you recommend and should it be thinnned for the airbrush - I would imagine low PSi ?? You comments would be most welcome and thank you in advance. All the Best - Tony

I've just squirted a bunch of Alclad Aqua Gloss at a model with great success, and have been using it for years.  There's also Klear, which is an acrylic floor polish and loads of other clear gloss varnishes.  Don't forget to use the opposite of what your pin wash is made from, as a safety measure.  Enamel washes go on best on an acrylic surface, and water-based washes go on better with an enamel gloss.  You can get away with it sometimes, but I tend to stick to opposites :)

You do need a proper gloss to get your washes to come back off well, and be sparing with it.  I don't see much point in liberally splashing it all over when all you need to do is highlight the corners and panel lines.  It'll also keep you from having to buy a new bottle sooner ;)

Welcome to the forum Tony.

I've never succeeded in spraying a decent gloss varnish layer onto a model, be it Alclad Aqua Gloss, AK Intermediate Gauzy or Johnson's Klear. I tend to brush it on and it looks a lot better. I'm probably missing something or doing something wrong, but I just can't get gloss varnish to work. Any other varnish (matt, semi-gloss, etc) sprays like a dream, but not gloss.

Probably no help...

Tom