1/48 Premier Hawk

Hot on the tail of the Buccaneer, and this looks a rather simpler kit, with just two main sprues. As a cheap ebay special, there were no decals, but fortunately @Stephen came to the rescue back in May - thank you for the Xtradecals mate!

I'm going to make this one as a 151 sqn jet based at Chivenor in the 1980s, to complement my Jag and Bucc. 

I've never heard of Premiere as a kit manufacturer before, so let's see how this goes ...

IMG41881540215344.jpg

Edited by Lord Riot

It really is pretty basic, for the first time ever I may be tempted to delve into the world of aftermarket parts for a cockpit or at least some seats. I'll see how cheaply I can find them on ebay!

IMG41891540216075.jpg

IMG41901540216075.jpg

• Like 1

Does anyone know of any decals for 1/48 Hawk T.1 cockpits? I only need the dials and consoles as the kit decals were missing. Does anyone make just these rather than a whole decal sheet as I've already got the Xtrakit ones for markings. I can only find metal etched cockpits online.

I've just done them by hand for now.

IMG42011540286526.jpg

Edited by Lord Riot

Cheers Mikey - there's not much to them in the kit, so I just added a bit of masking tape for straps and the pipe thing on the left hand side. Too mean to spend about £8 on some aftermarket ones! 😂

• Like 1

The cockpit fit was rubbish. There are no pins or tags to fix it to in the nose section, and the back seater's control panel seems too wide to fit; I had to pull it out and file the sides. Luckily the seats are a tight fit so I didn't glue them in, making it easier to fiddle around in there. Needed some encouragement to sit high enough. 

The instructions say add nose weight but not how much, so I stuffed about eight 1-inch nails and blu-tack right at the front.

IMG42071540310103.jpg

The panel lines on the upper wings are virtually invisible, so I deepened them a bit.

IMG42081540389709.jpg

Strangely, the fuselage is in three sections, and takes some persuasion to close up. Definitely needs filler around the rear section.

IMG42091540390620.jpg

Edited by Lord Riot

Sorry I missed the start of this build.

My experience with two back in 1993 was to assemble the fuselage parts into halves, but I've missed that stage. I'll search for any notes. 

Good work, carry on. 

G

• Like 1

This kit is rubbish. Even if it's 99p on ebay don't bother. I may as well finish it but I'm going to look for an Airfix one.

I spent an hour sanding the filled joins this morning (every join has a gap and worse, is uneven). Now look at the join of the intakes! It's like they manufactured this in someone's kitchen with some old sprues and a spoon over the gas hob!

IMG42141540459961.jpg

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Haha 2

I built one of these many years ago and agree with the above comments. It was the only game in town for a long time, so I persevered and with the help of the Airwaves set and some white metal Aeroclub seats produced a Red Arrows Hawk wheel up on a stand. 

Watching with interest.

John

• Like 1

Lots of filling and sanding later, here we are. There was a massive gap under the fin too until I cut and sanded it to the shape of the fuselage.

IMG42161540474926.jpg

It looks tiny after the Buccaneer, I'm dubious as to whether it's actually 1/48 or about 1/55! Given how poor the kit is I wouldn't be surprised! 😂

I'll see how it looks when it's completed whether I go with green/grey camo or all over pale grey paint. Maybe I'll add the AIM-9s from the Jag kit and do it as a grey one and save the camo for a better kit. Then again, dark camo will probably hide the joins better, so still undecided.

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 1

Sounds like it's making the Buccaneer look like a shake n bake kit!! Well done for carrying on though. I'm weak and would probably 'shelf of doom' it.

• Like 1

It's not so bad once the filling and sanding is done. I wish I'd noticed the wheel well is completely hollow right up to the inside of the top of the fuselage though! Too late to get anything inside now, I'll just have to paint it black in there. Or maybe I could squeeze in some sponge to fill it up a bit.

I'll spray it all DSG and see how it looks.

Ready for DSG spray. 

IMG42241540559054.jpg

It looked like I'd filled all the joins before I sprayed it! Odd how they show up more when it's painted. So I'll let it dry then try yet more filler.

IMG42251540559381.jpg

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 2

Much smoother after a sanding and respray.

IMG42301540590011.jpg

I also made the long, thin aerial for under the nose and the little pipe thing near the stabiliser fin. Neither were included in the kit. I had to cut the top nose aerial to a more accurate size and shape too.

IMG42291540589585.jpg

Despite the success of the blu-tack and bag method for spraying green on the Buccaneer, I think given the small size of the Hawk it'd be easier to hand paint the green.

• Like 1