HS Buccaneer S.2B, XW530, No. 12 Sqn, RAF Lossiemouth, 1987

Buccaneer S.2 XW530 was delivered to the RAF in October 1970, initially serving with XV and 16 squadrons at Laarbruch, Germany.

After transferring to the Honington Buccaneer wing in 1979, she briefly served with 216 sqn before being assigned to 208 following the resumption of Buccaneer ops after the fleet was grounded for six months in 1980 to check wing fatigue. XW530 was one of six Buccaneers deployed to Cyprus in Operation Pulsator in 1983 to support the British contingent of the UN peace-keeping mission in Lebanon. Following very low level Buccaneer flights over the city, there were no attacks on British patrols. 

On her return to the UK, XW530 was assigned to 12 sqn at Lossiemouth. During this time she received an avionics upgrade at Woodford in 1987, before returning to operational status on Christmas Eve of that year. She was one of the Buccaneers that also served in the Gulf War of 1991, receiving a temporary 'pink' paint scheme, returning to Lossiemouth at the end of March and serving with 12 sqn, then very briefly 208 sqn until the Buccaneer was sadly and prematurely retired in 1994. XW530 is currently on display at a service station in Elgin near Lossiemouth.

Before I attempted the kit I'd read a few horror stories about it, but I found it a really enjoyable build. Massive thanks to @224 Peter for selling me the kit at a reasonable price (unlike ebay!). If anyone has the 1/48 Buccaneer in their stash it's a very rewarding kit. And quite big! There were some fit issues but nothing too bad.

IMG41721540198784.jpg

IMG41731540198784.jpg

IMG41831540198777.jpg

IMG41811540198777.jpg

IMG41741540198781.jpg

IMG41751540198783.jpg

IMG41701540198783.jpg

IMG41761540198780.jpg

IMG41821540198777.jpg

IMG41771540198781.jpg

IMG41791540198778.jpg

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 47

Nice one, that's a terrific effort and done without drama. Leaves me wondering why it has such a terrible reputation for being an almost un-buildable kit. I must say that when you described it as "quite big", that is an understatement - that is a huge airplane!

So, what's next?

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind comments chaps, very much appreciated.

She certainly seemed an easier build than, say the Airfix Vulcan, mostly just sanding, filling and squeezing! Maybe just that I'm more easily satisfied! 😂

@Filler I think a 1/48 camo Hawk is next ...

Very nice.

I work in Elgin and pass the filling station (called The Buccaneer) often. The business is up for sale so I will be interested to see what happens to the airframe when the station changes hands.

Great job on the old Airfix kit.

Cheers Greg 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Very nice.

I work in Elgin and pass the filling station (called The Buccaneer) often. The business is up for sale so I will be interested to see what happens to the airframe when the station changes hands.

Cheers Greg 

I hope it doesn't get scrapped! Hopefully the new owners will keep it, otherwise are there any museums up there? Or back to Lossie as gate guard?

Nice work. Always good to see a Bucc being modelled and this one has been modelled well :goodjob:

1 hour ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Very nice.

Cheers Greg 

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

I hope it doesn't get scrapped! Hopefully the new owners will keep it, otherwise are there any museums up there? Or back to Lossie as gate guard?

From what I understand the guys at Morayavia in Kinloss are keen to get their hands on it but the asking price is too high for them.

3 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

The gate guard at Lossievis a GR4 Tornado in Guy Gibson's markings. It would have to be donated to get the RAF to take it back. Given the petrol station is known as the Buccaneer I would hope it would be retained by any new owner.

Cheers Greg.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Nice work. Always good to see a Bucc being modelled and this one has been modelled well :goodjob:

From what I understand the guys at Morayavia in Kinloss are keen to get their hands on it but the asking price is too high for them.

That would be a good result as Moravia have a good set up and would look after it. Currently it looks like it could do with a bit of TLC. The guy that owns it at present is a local business man who I doubt would donate it to a museum. 

Cheers Greg

Fantastic job. 

Mine put up a real fight & won the first round. It’s currently languishing at the back of the attic. It’s encouraging to see what can be done with it so it might make an appearance back on the workbench. 

Pete

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the comments chaps! I'm actually tempted to try and find another Bucc now, maybe do an earlier era one, 70s with light grey underside. If they ever come down in price anyway.

Very slick looking build indeed, love it. It seems you have moved onto 1/48 with ease and it looks like you are enjoying it!. May have to go there myself one day! I see you are doing a Hawk next. Does this mean your 1/72 days are over?

Cheers

Terry

• Thanks 1

Thanks Terry, very kind! Yes for fast jets I think I'll try and do 1/48 from now on, they just have the opportunity for more detail and look a bit more imposing on the shelves.

I'll be sticking with 1/72 for V-bombers and transports though! Still got a few 50s/60s fighters in the stash in that scale too, so I'll probably build them at some point. Loving the big scale jets now though, it's almost like rediscovering the hobby again, something new.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/10/2018 at 18:20, GREG DESTEC said:

That would be a good result as Moravia have a good set up and would look after it. Currently it looks like it could do with a bit of TLC. The guy that owns it at present is a local business man who I doubt would donate it to a museum. 

Cheers Greg

When I left Lossie there was a Buccaneer as guate guard with full payload, the Tornadoes were still flying. The old gate guards were a navy Bucc, a Gannet and an AEW Shackleton. the navy Bucc went to the museum but the Gannet and shack were scrapped in situ, death by JCB.

• Sad 1

On 04/11/2018 at 17:15, 224 Peter said:

Hi Lord Riot! 

A great build, captures the brutish stance of the Buccaneer well.  

Delighted that my excess kit has been finished. 

Peter

Thanks Peter! I liked the kit so much I'll probably look out for another Bucc now. It certainly is a rewarding build.