This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Procopius

Battle of Britain 80th GB for 2020

On 03/02/2020 at 11:47, Heather Kay said:

Folks, don’t forget Bomber and Coastal Commands, and the Fleet Air Arm to an extent, were very active during the Battle period. Just sayin'… :whistle::wink:

and don't forget the RAF Marine Branch

afair The Airfix RAF Air Sea Rescue Launch comes with markings for a boat used during the BoB

Reading through the posts and wondering - if one was going very left field something comes to my mind about Tiger Moths fitted with bomb racks as anti invasion measures and Lysanders on ASR duties. Not sure if either fits with the period or maybe the spirit of the GB though. Just chucking the ramblings out there for consideration 

And if one gives the benefit of any doubt as to the intent of Sgt. Bruce Hancock then an Avro Anson might be added to the  list

full story from August 1940 here

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/141383

On 2/3/2020 at 11:47 AM, Heather Kay said:

Folks, don’t forget Bomber and Coastal Commands, and the Fleet Air Arm to an extent, were very active during the Battle period. Just sayin'… :whistle::wink:

Hi Heather,

So perhaps I will try and do the Italeri He 111 and the ex Frog Di 17Z as well - depends how much time I have in between other builds etc.

Cheers

Pete

I'd love to join in with this too if I may!  I hope to fill some gaps in my Battle of Britain collection with this group build. I have Revell's new 1/72 Ju88A-1 on pre-order but I hope to do at least two kits.

On 2/3/2020 at 10:47 PM, Heather Kay said:

I totally agree with Heather's comment but thought I'd double check the scope of the group build first.  How about a Bomber Command Blenheim IV from the raids on the invasion ports in September 1940, or a Coastal Command Hudson?  Alternatively, I could always build another Spitfire......

In any case I'm really looking forward to this!

Matt

On the matter of possible builds.

When I hear or read " BoB" , I realy only think about the fighters going after the German bombers.

I know Bomber Command and the others played a great part too.

But for me it are the Spitfires and Hurricanes that are iconic and stand for the BoB.

Edited by Erwin

4 minutes ago, Erwin said:

But for me it are the Spitfires and Hurricanes of Fighter Command that are iconic for the BoB

Iconic, yes, and part of the mythologising of the battle. It’s something that bugs the heck out of me, but then I’m not going to try and stop you building what you want. :) 

11 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

Iconic, yes, and part of the mythologising of the battle. It’s something that bugs the heck out of me, but then I’m not going to try and stop you building what you want. :) 

I was't trying to say that we should only be allowed to build Spitfires and Hurricanes.

Besides the 1/24 th Airfix Hurricane,I shall most likely build the B-P Defiant too.

And something Luftwaffe.

I plan to make this my "big GB" of the year.

Edited by Erwin

prop blur ordered, is it July yet?

image.png

It looks like Revell just solved my problem of "what to build in this GB?" https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/RV4972

EDIT: It must then be a KG 30 mount of Peter Wilhelm Stahl, a rare survivor among the Kampfflieger and a good author too!

EDIT 2: Which means I plan to build "them all" in 2020; a Do 17, a Ju 88 and a He 111. The classic Luftwaffe twins :coolio:

2019-03-17_11-31-43

I'm in and looking forward to this Group Build very much. Currently in the planning stage. Definitely a 1/48 "Dog Fight Double" with two of the main contenders - Hurricane and He 111. Now the fun of the research, whose kit (none in the stash) and which aircraft markings. Hopefully two aircraft with a joint story.