Battle of Britain 80th GB Chat

On 1/2/2020 at 6:47 PM, Joss said:

Got the new tamiya spitfire for Christmas so excited for this group build!

Would anyone recommend any upgrades for it or is it good to roll out of the box?

All the best

Joss

Maybe some plate armour behind the pilot?

Also be aware of the three decal options, only one fits the BoB time frame.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JackG said:

Maybe some plate armour behind the pilot?

Hi jack, thanks for the info.

I have to admit I just looked at the box and thought mki spit that'll do.

Interesting read on the topic. I have an Eduard spitfire mkix which come with the photoetch armour and the plastic part so I hope that'll fix the problem.

All the best

Joss

• Thanks 1

Joss that is a great idea - I'll have to check my Eduard boxing for the donor part, or at least it will provide as master to fashion out scrap material.   Looking at what Edgar posted, you could possibly get away with just adding the triangular armour section behind the pilot's head.

regards,

Jack

• 4 weeks later...

"How should you live if you are twenty and will be dead by the end of the summer?"

-- Guy Mayfied, RAF Duxford chaplain, 1940

1. Procopius

2. Malpaso

3. LDSModeller

4. steveJ60

5. TEMPESTMK5

6. MarkSH

7. Franky boy

8. Corsairfoxfouruncle

9. PhantomBigStu

10. Robert Stuart

11. Grey Beema

12. GREG DESTEC

13. Ozzy

14. Cookenbacher

15. Rabbit Leader

16. dnl42

17. lasermonkey

18. Bonhoff

19. depressed lemur

20. jrlx

21. Colin W

22. Stew Dapple

23. Beard

24. Arniec

25. stevehnz

26. Torbjorn

27. Hockeyboy76

28. nimrod54

29. Edge

30. Joss

31. 06/24

32. Smudge

33. wimbledon99

34. Redstaf

35. Wez

36. DaveyGair

37. FalkeEins

38. Heather Kay

39. Valkyrie

40. Jockney

41. Retired Bob

42. Paul J

43. jenko

44. Kallisti

45. SleeperService

46. Rafwaffe

47. Anthony Kesterton

48. RJ-WobblyHands

49. Paul Bradley

50. CliffB

51. 4scourge7

52. PLC1966

53. vppelt68

54. Silver Fox

55. Angus Tura

56. Ralph

57. Peter Roberts

58. rob85

59. modelling minion

60. Blitz23

61. helios16v

62. Scimitar F1

63. theplasticsurgeon

64. Greg Law

65. Paul H

66. Beazer

67. wellzy

68. Max Headroom

69. Mancunian Airman

70. OutcastJoel

71. Erwin

72. JohnT

73. Putty Animal

74. sampanzer

75. Bugle07

76. TonyW

77. Jb65rams

78. mackem01

79. rafalbert

80. Johnson

On 12/8/2019 at 12:06 PM, Jb65rams said:

I would like to declare for this one.

Propose to build the Airfix Spitfire MkIa and Messerschmitt Bf109E-4 Dogfight Double.

Great choice! Be advised though that the markings for Wick's 109E are post-Battle of Britain -- his aircraft looked rather different during the Battle.

9 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Great choice! Be advised though that the markings for Wick's 109E are post-Battle of Britain -- his aircraft looked rather different during the Battle.

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll look for something that fits the timeframe.

I don't know if a BoB time frame for this group build has been posted (should of been located on the first page?), but Wick was promoted to Geschwaderkommodore on October 20th (a day after refusing promotion to lead JG 27).   Anyhow, here is a listing of Wick's score so can at least zero in on the correct number of victory markings on the tail of his Emil:

http://www.cieldegloire.com/001_wick_h.php

regards,

Jack

Thinking caps on folk's,now there'a not a lot of subject's of the BoB period I have not built over the year's and there's nothing at the moment I can honestly say

is setting the pulse racing but there's no way I'm missing this GB,so then It struck me that the few Italian aircraft that fought for a short period during the battle

are often overlooked so any suggestions for what kits and decals are out there for these aircraft?

You are limited in Italian aircraft.

For fighters you have just the Fiat G50  and  CR42.

Airfix for the G50, Italeri or Revell for the CR42.  afair the Italeri come with BoB decals

For bombers you have the Fiat BR20 and Cant Z 1007, afair both these from Italeri and the Italeri kit of the BR20 was reboxed by Revell once. afair the Cant was built with a single tail fin and a twin-fin, and both were seen, and shot down in the Battle

For decals its mostly searching through aftermarket sheets. eg I bought a sheet of decals for a few Macchi 200 and found two sets of markings for Fiat G50 on it, one being a BoB participant

• Like 1

You should be able to find better G-50s than the Airfix if you look: I believe AML did ones and there may be others.  AML kits in general appear to have a poor reputation, but the Airfix engine cowling is significantly undersized.  Otherwise a fairly nice, if basic, kit.  The Italeri Cant was initially available under the Supermodel label, so you may be able to find one that way.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

Folks, don’t forget Bomber and Coastal Commands, and the Fleet Air Arm to an extent, were very active during the Battle period. Just sayin'… :whistle::wink:

You read my mind. I was thinking something Navy-ish, or maybe a Gladiator or Beaufighter maybe.

I have enough Spots and Hurries (for now).......

Trevor

17 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

or Beaufighter maybe

No FAA Beaus in the period Trevor, 29 Squadron (RAF) received a few (and if I recall lost one to enemy action, though it was claimed as a 'Blenheim'). Gladiators are perfectly feasible, possibly Fulmars also, Blenheims, Beauforts and Swordfish of course...

Cheers,

Stew

1 hour ago, Stew Dapple said:

No FAA Beaus in the period Trevor, 29 Squadron (RAF) received a few (and if I recall lost one to enemy action, though it was claimed as a 'Blenheim'). Gladiators are perfectly feasible, possibly Fulmars also, Blenheims, Beauforts and Swordfish of course...

Cheers,

Stew

Hi Stew!

Badly worded by me I’m afraid. I have the Scale Modelling special from the 80’s where a Novo Beaufighter became a night fighter MK.I. Probably won’t do one though.

Trevor 

• Like 1

If I am correct in assuming this will start at the end of July 2020 (Enzo's calender is too small for my failing eyesight even when blown up) then it could be very useful. A few years back I bought the Xtradecal sheets for RAF and Lufwaffe during the BoB period. I used the RAF one last year on 3 Spits, 3 Hurri's and the "new" Airfix Defiant, so if I have time I will have a shot at the Lufftwaffe side - up to 3 Bf109, 1 He 111, a Do 17Z, Ju 87 and maybe a Ju 88 in my stash. Depends on a couple of other GB, and what my wife decides she wants me to do this summer - last year it was gardening and building a wall, this year I suspect more of the same plus decorating! I think you can count me in, even if it is just the 109's. That is assuming the decs still work as they are very thin and do seem to deteriorate with age, even when stored in virtually ideal conditions - perhaps I should start vacuum packing them so they have no air as well as no light!

Pete

• Like 2