Battle of Britain 80th GB Chat

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

A fitting tribute to his memory. :poppy:... My guess is the Avro 504 & RN ship are for other relatives ? Im doing a similar thing for my Relatives. Grandfather and Grand-uncles from WW2, Korea, & Vietnam. 

Thank you, and I hope your builds go well - I think it important that they are all remembered.  Yes, the Avro for his father, my great grandfather who was shot down whilst bombing Zeppelin sheds in 1914 but later escaped back to Allied lines.  The RN ship(s) for my grandfather (his much younger brother) who crossed the bar last year.  I suspect that a diorama of HMS Apollo F70 entering Mevagissey harbour will be beyond my current skills though...

6 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Paul, of course it's your call but I'd go with the Revell Mk.II rather than the Eduard Mk.VIII or the Mk.IX which would mean replacing... well a substantial percentage of the aircraft. I know we've got three months for the Group Build, and the Eduard kits are very much nicer, but I imagine you probably don't want to spend the whole three months filling and sanding :)

Stew, I am far from a Spitfire expert, and that sort of detailed research was something I have yet to do (I have only looked into what the model of plane was, and the markings) so your advice is very much appreciated especially as I am relatively new to building aircraft models.  Whilst I know that the full size changes were considerable especially under the skin, I had been hoping that the differences at 1:72 were essentially just switching to a three blade prop & selecting the appropriate wing tip & tail options, of which there are many in the Eduard kit.  However I guess that it isn't as simple as that!

Edited by Paul H
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Here you go. “Dates are Friday 10 July 2020 to Saturday 31 October 2020.”

Sorry l  mean dates in 1940?

1 minute ago, Heather Kay said:

10 July to 31 October. Those are the official dates given by the Air Ministry for the start and finish. 

Thank you 

On 22/10/2019 at 18:42, Erwin said:

Is their a list of  builds allowed ?

Not just anything that flew during that time-frame.Just those that actually participated during the BoB.

Good morning Erwin

I guess you can reffer to this wikipedia article

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Britain

All the best

Patrice

• Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 11:56 AM, Paul H said:

Stew, I am far from a Spitfire expert, and that sort of detailed research was something I have yet to do (I have only looked into what the model of plane was, and the markings) so your advice is very much appreciated especially as I am relatively new to building aircraft models.

Paul, thanks, I didn't want it to look like I was telling you what you should do... :) ... but the Eduard Spitfires are later war versions and differ in respect of more than the propellers, the engine, canopy, underwing radiators and armament including the gun access panels are all different to name just the parts I remember off the top of my head... it would be by far easier to get the right mark of Spitfire without any conversion work with either the Revell kit, or my preference would be the Airfix kit which while quite a simple kit is easy to build and does produce a nice model of the early mark Spitfires without any real trauma on the part of the modeller.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OutcastJoel said:

Please could I be counted in?

I fancy doing a Hurricane Mk1 from my Granddad's squadron (601).

nice contaction l will watch  your build with  intrest ,what station was he based ?

wellzy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wellzy said:

nice contaction l will watch  your build with  intrest ,what station was he based ?

wellzy

Thank you! I am a newbie so dont expect too much...

He (and the rest of 601 sqn) were in RAF Tangmere for most of the Battle of Britain. 601 were apparently moved to Middle Wallop for two weeks in June but I dont remember him ever mentioning it. He was ground crew so I have the choice of any of their aircraft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutcastJoel said:

Thank you! I am a newbie so dont expect too much...

He (and the rest of 601 sqn) were in RAF Tangmere for most of the Battle of Britain. 601 were apparently moved to Middle Wallop for two weeks in June but I dont remember him ever mentioning it. He was ground crew so I have the choice of any of their aircraft.

He was vital, as were all the other Erks and ground staff, and its splendid that you are celebrating him.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...