Battle of Britain 80th GB Chat

On 2/4/2020 at 8:02 PM, Black Knight said:

and don't forget the RAF Marine Branch

afair The Airfix RAF Air Sea Rescue Launch comes with markings for a boat used during the BoB

The entire Air Sea rescue system was only in an embryo stage at this time, with a handful of Lysanders being brought into use once the gap was realised and reliance on the Navy, the coastguard and fishermen for any actual rescues.  I am pretty sure you are wrong about the period of the Airfix kit's markings.

Well the fund's are soon to be on the way to Wez for Classic Airframes Fiat Falco so my wish for an Italian aircraft for the GB is fulfilled,be nice to have

a change from the plethora of oldies I'm building recently and get the airbrush out again I might re-visit Airfix's newish Hurricane for a second build in fact

my last two 1/48 builds were  Tamiya's classic kits of BoB aircraft well over a year ago now.

20181106_150649

20181106_145858

• Like 11

4 hours ago, AndyL said:

Well, I'm in. Needless to say my entry will be a Defiant :)

It's high time we had a new mold 1/32 nd kit(not VAC or resin)

And maybe Airfix's next 1/24 th ?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Fun to watch and animation is good for stop motion, though the Junkers and 109G6 don't look right in the film. 

Dennis

Their are always mistakes in any movie !

But the Ju 52 is so prominent in the opening that it's hard not to see the mistake.

No 110's and Defiants in the movie too.

But,it's still a great effort to make it with models

Edited by Erwin
  • Like 1

While looking for my Spitfire Mk I which I declared with I found a Roden Gladiator Mk.I. Looking HERE shows a single Mk.I K8049 with 247 Squadron during the BoB. I now need to try and find what individual a/c letter it carried. Squadron code HP I think it will be a different subject for this GB.

• Like 1

These are my decided builds for this GB...

956819-19848-43-pristine.jpg

143152-14745-42-pristine.jpg

I could also enter this one...but I shall build it in the STGB He 111 that runs nearly at the same time.

634642-16854-32-pristine.jpg

Edited by Erwin
  • Like 5

That’s a great line up @Erwin great choices and well done for deciding on what you are building....I need to be strong and decide too...looking forward to 10th June....

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

That’s a great line up @Erwin great choices and well done for deciding on what you are building....I need to be strong and decide too...looking forward to 10th June....

That's ofcourse my plan.

If possible,I even might add a simple Luftwaffe too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’d like to join - I’ve a Tamiya Spitfire MK1 in 1/48.

looking for some recommendations for the following as I’m a more Cold War - modern day military bloke.

All 1/48 - best kits for:

BoB era Hurricane - take it MK 1 and MK IIa variants ?

BoB era BF109 - take it E1, E3 and E4 variants ? Are the Eduard kits best ?

BoB era BF110 - take it a C or D variants ?

any advice appreciated - with 4 months lots of time and choices !

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

All 1/48 - best kits for:

Im thinking the best kit for a 1/48 Hurricane would be the Airfix or possibly Hasegawa ? Eduard or Tamiya for early 109 emils would be your best bet. And for the 110 yes its C/D and I dont think anyone but Eduard as the older Fujimi kits are around but there is no interior if memory serves. The eduard nacelles can be tricky on 110’s but theres a way to do them. I found if you use Tamiya extra thin and glue the two cowling pieces together. Just before mounting to the wing, then you can squish & spread them out a little. That will fill the gaps that some people get on them. 

Dennis

• Like 1

On 28/04/2020 at 20:45, Tim Moff said:

BoB era Hurricane - take it MK 1 and MK IIa variants ?

Mk.I - Airfix Mk.IIa was too late wasn't it?

12 minutes ago, Wez said:

Mk.I - Airfix Mk.IIa was too late wasn't it?

No. There were some that took part. BoBMF’s II I believe is an actual veteran of the conflict. 611 Squadron had them in August and flew from Duxford. 

Trevor

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

No. There were some that took part. BoBMF’s II I believe is an actual veteran of the conflict. 611 Squadron had them in August and flew from Duxford. 

Trevor

Thanks for that Trevor

• Like 1

I have some good references in my book case:

TCfYaMB.jpg

Go the following in the stash or coming, which should not be too technical over the time period we have, so hopefully achievable...some aftermarket decals being planned but will save my ideas for later!

UlPDBfS.jpg

kqtWMNu.jpg

jTjRAew.jpg

f0UdYya.jpg

• Like 4

My problem as what to build has now been solved for me courtesy of a birthday present from a kind neighbour!

49861445488_b9d872827b_b.jpg

264 Squadron naturally!

Trevor

• Like 7

Eighty years ago today, the House of Commons held a debate over the disaster then overtaking Allied forces in Norway. The anti-appeasement Tory MP Leo Amery spoke forcefully to the House:

'Somehow or other we must get into the Government men who can match our enemies in fighting spirit, in daring, in resolution and in thirst for victory. Some 300 years ago, when this House found that its troops were being beaten again and again by the dash and daring of the Cavaliers, by Prince Rupert’s Cavalry, Oliver Cromwell spoke to John Hampden. In one of his speeches he recounted what he said. It was this:

'"I said to him, ‘Your troops are most of them old, decayed serving men and tapsters and such kind of fellows.’…You must get men of a spirit that are likely to go as far as they will go, or you will be beaten still."

'It may not be easy to find these men. They can be found only by trial and by ruthlessly discarding all who fail and have their failings discovered. We are fighting to-day for our life, for our liberty, for our all; we cannot go on being led as we are.'

'I have quoted certain words of Oliver Cromwell. I will quote certain other words. I do it with great reluctance, because I am speaking of those who are old friends and associates of mine, but they are words which, I think, are applicable to the present situation. This is what Cromwell said to the Long Parliament when he thought it was no longer fit to conduct the affairs of the nation: "You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go".'

Several members of the House, including the former Liberal Prime Minister Lloyd George, felt this was the most effective speech they had ever heard in the chamber. 

• Like 13