Battle of Britain 80th GB Chat

6 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

the group build ends today

My build won’t make the gallery :mellow:, but it’s been fantastic.

Thanks Stew, Procobius and everyone who made this such a great GB!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Johnson said:

My build won’t make the gallery :mellow:, but it’s been fantastic.

Sorry to hear that Charlie, the time did rather fly by didn't it? I'm glad you enjoyed yourself anyway and I'll look forward to seeing your finished Spitfire in the RFI section at some point :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Thanks 1

Good luck to those on the final run it, hope you make it.

Big thanks to @Procopius @Stew Dapple @Enzo Matrix and all others who have help un this GB - the sad situation with Covid 19 and early lockdown meant I had no more commuting to London due to having to work from home, my sons football was curtailed early etc, this in turn gave me a bit more time at home and allowed me to return to the garage and get back to the hobby after a couple of busy years that meant I just didn't have the time. This GB has also got my head back into the BoB books and look back at the summer of 1940...

I overreached a bit with 7 builds, but hey, completed 5 with 2 that will go into the KUTA at some point.

Thanks to @Troy Smith @Rabbit Leader really appreciate the expert advice along the way, also to @theplasticsurgeon who  gifted me some masks.

This has been a great experience in strange times - dedicated to those who fought in the battle and those who gave their lives in the service of their country...

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Tim Moff said:

Good luck to those on the final run it, hope you make it.

Thanks, <>also to @PlasticSurgeon gifted me some masks.

Er that's someone else,  I'm https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/profile/117-theplasticsurgeon/

• Haha 1

Just want to echo the comments here - a big thank you to the organisers of this Group Build.

And what a wonderful array of models here! IMHO, a very worthy tribute to 'The Few'.

'At the going down of the sun

And in the morning

We will remember them'

God bless 'em

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

Just want to echo the comments here - a big thank you to the organisers of this Group Build.

And what a wonderful array of models here! IMHO, a very worthy tribute to 'The Few'.

'At the going down of the sun

And in the morning

We will remember them'

God bless 'em

I would also like to second "repeat please" (this is the BoB group build after all!) Tim and Peter's comments, very well said.  A huge thank you to the hosts @Stew Dapple, @Procopius, @Cookenbacher and @Enzo Matrix, it's been a lot of fun posting on here and as a relative newcomer to the hobby I've really appreciated everyone's advice, knowledge and encouragement. 

Also well done to all participants.  The standard of modelling on here has been exceptional and I will revisit these pages countless times to be inspired by and continue learning from everyone's builds as I work my way though my stash of Battle of Britain kits!

I've even picked out some great subjects for the next Battle of Britain group build already, but in the meantime see you all again in other group builds!

Matt

Edited by MattG
  • Like 5

Well that's us done gents; on behalf of my fellow group build moderators @Procopius @Cookenbacher and myself, thank you to all of you who took part, commented or just dropped in, thanks for keeping it civil to the extent that we had next to nothing to do except follow as many other folks' builds as we could and amuse ourselves as we liked.

I finished a model for the first time this year in this group build after a very long and frustrating fallow period so my personal pleasure was doubled :) 

It would be interesting to correlate the number of completions of various types to the numbers that took part in the actual Battle, I suspect that we may be slightly over-represented in fighters to bombers and particularly in Defiants thanks to the availability of the lovely Airfix kits in both major scales :) The new Eduard Spitfire in 1/48 may have been counterbalanced in numbers by the new(ish) Arma Hobby Hurricane in 1/72 and perhaps overall the RAF contingent may have been allowed better odds against the Luftwaffe than those they actually faced in 1940.

Anyway as I said above, thank you all for taking part, congratulations for those of you who finished models and made it to the Gallery, there have been some real beauties too. Hopefully we'll meet up again for the 85th Anniversary Group Build :D 

@Enzo Matrix - thanks for everything, chap B) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

perhaps overall the RAF contingent may have been allowed better odds against the Luftwaffe than those they actually faced in 1940.

I think, with the addition of Bomber and Coastal Commands, the odds were much more even than the myths might imply. ;)

I would like to echo the sentiments of the others. I enjoyed seeing the various builds come together, but liked to see the oddball entries a little more - probably helped because I entered five unusual subjects myself. Well done everyone!

• Like 6