Battle of Britain 80th GB Chat

Can't believe my mojo has deserted me in the middle of the GB I was most looking forward to all year,the loss of the Do17 to Humbrol's awful

clear(now binned) left me not really wanting to Tackle the other I'd planned and I'm not in the mood right now to tackle the PE of the CR 42, I

might just pop out and buy a Spitfire,Hurricane or Me109 just to at least take part.:D

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

I might just pop out and buy a Spitfire,Hurricane or Me109 just to at least take part.:D

Good idea Steve, some retail therapy always helps!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Can't believe my mojo has deserted me in the middle of the GB I was most looking forward to all year,the loss of the Do17 to Humbrol's awful

clear(now binned) left me not really wanting to Tackle the other I'd planned and I'm not in the mood right now to tackle the PE of the CR 42, I

might just pop out and buy a Spitfire,Hurricane or Me109 just to at least take part.:D

Go for it Steve 😄 you know you want to 👍

• Like 2

Hi Guys,

I notice that one of two of you are modelling less obvious kits such as Bleheims that took part in the bombing of German invasion barges. Does anybody know if the RAF Hampdens were involved in similar activities, as I fancy at least one RAF machine to go with the numerous Luftwaffe ones I have in mind for this GB? I expect they would be bombing other targets at this time as well, and maybe mining so would they qualify?

Cheers

Pete

4 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Hi Guys,

I notice that one of two of you are modelling less obvious kits such as Bleheims that took part in the bombing of German invasion barges. Does anybody know if the RAF Hampdens were involved in similar activities, as I fancy at least one RAF machine to go with the numerous Luftwaffe ones I have in mind for this GB? I expect they would be bombing other targets at this time as well, and maybe mining so would they qualify?

Cheers

Pete

Both Bomber and Coastal Commands were involved in the Battle. That means you can have Hampdens, Blenheims, Battles, Wellingtons, Whitleys from Bomber Command, Blenheims and Beauforts from Coastal Command.

During the Battle period, Hampdens were employed on minelaying and "target of opportunity" raids all along the European coast. Along with Wellingtons and Whitleys they were also sent on raids into Germany, targeting ports and industrial centres. Whitleys also flew across the Alps and bombed the Italian industrial northern cities. 

• Thanks 1

:like:

It's discovering all this activity beyond the Fighter Boys gallantly riding their shining Spitfires into battle* that led me to my 1940 obsession.

*I jest, but I think you know what I mean. ;) 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, PeterB said:

That's what I thought. Perhaps I will build one if I can find appropriate markings.

The Valom Hampden has 49 Sqn. markings in the box for P1339 EA-F. 
I'm actually considering pulling mine out and do 'Babe' Learoyd's P4403 EA-M.

• Like 1

Hi,

So has the Airfix kit. However I am considering P1355 of 83 Squadron in which Sergeant John Hannah won the VC during a raid on barges at Antwerp on the night of September 15-16th. The only problem is that the ORB does not give the individual aircraft letter - does anybody know it? Alternatively I guess I could do Gibson's machine.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 2

Damn,shelve bare in my LMS only suitable kit was Tamiya's lovely 1/48 109 but I built the BoB scheme last year.Don't ask why but I came out with Hasegawa's

Grumman Panther instead:frantic:

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Damn,shelve bare in my LMS only suitable kit was Tamiya's lovely 1/48 109 but I built the BoB scheme last year.Don't ask why but I came out with Hasegawa's

The chap in my LMS is like Arkwright, you go in looking for one thing and come out with something different.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Hi,

So has the Airfix kit. However I am considering P1355 of 83 Squadron in which Sergeant John Hannah won the VC during a raid on barges at Antwerp on the night of September 15-16th. The only problem is that the ORB does not give the individual aircraft letter - does anybody know it? Alternatively I guess I could do Gibson's machine.

Cheers

Pete

Pete,

Great subject. OL-W here:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205209950

And to get you in the spirit:

Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Ozzy,

That solves the problem as I did not particularly want to do Gibson's machine. In the air he was undoubtedly a pretty good pilot and brave to a fault, but on the ground he was not a very attractive character to my mind, based on what I have read. The officers were all "Jolly good chaps" but he did not have time for anybody from Sergeant down, whether pilots or ground crew. In fairness I guess he was a product of the time and his background, but I can't bring myself to like him much. He had a nice dog though - why on earth do they want to erase any mention of its name. Ok, "Nigger" is now considered politically incorrect but it was his name. Anyway, I don't do politics so enough of that.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 4

On 8/1/2020 at 2:17 PM, PeterB said:

He had a nice dog though - why on earth do they want to erase any mention of its name.

Speaking, as I'm assuming we are, as people to whom that particular epithet is very unlikely to ever be applied it's easy enough to say "It's just a name" or "It's just a word" but what might have been hilariously funny or even ordinary enough in 1940 definitely isn't acceptable today bearing in mind black people have had it used against them by people with exactly the sort of untermensch mentality that ironically Gibson and all the others involved were fighting against, knowingly or not at the time.

That's not a dig at you Peter, but if 'political correctness' means having a bit of respect for the feelings of others then I don't have a problem with it.

Anyway as you say we don't do politics here so let's leave it there and move on to more wholesome pastimes...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

The dogs name had nothing to do with being named after someone skin colour  - the name was derived from the original meaning of the word which was a partly burnt piece of wood that is blackened, hence why you do not want one in the woodpile. The racist connotations of the word have become sensitive in more recent times but back then people knew the difference.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Kallisti said:

The racist connotations of the word have become sensitive in more recent times

Whatever the origins of the word, we do live in more recent times and it's pretty clear the sort of people who like to use the word now are not referring to the contents of their woodpile. Languages evolve, for better or worse, and it is a racial slur - now. As I said above, the fact that it is unlikely to be applied to (probably) the majority of the Britmodeller Massive doesn't mean we should be insensitive ourselves to the feelings of others to whom it might be used against and who do find it offensive.

Now, please, can we move on to something more elevating? This isn't relevant to our group build.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 8

I probably should have asked thIs in the Spitfire GB, but that’s over and try as I might, I can’t seem to find the answer. I’ve looked at the Spitfire GB reference, so...

Did the Mk 1a Spitfire have the electric socket in the port wing fillet?

My Airfix 1/24 has this but I’m not sure that it should be there.

Thanks!

11 hours ago, Johnson said:

It's not visible on this well-known training movie from June 1940.

Notice the lack of individual code letter, and the small serial on the fin flash. 

• Thanks 1

Here is X4110 of 602 Sqn.

50189600342_8bc7d48cdb_z.jpg

Delivered 18th August in the morning, by early afternoon it had it’s one and only action. Back broken, it was written off with 30 minutes on the clock. No codes either. It has the shortest active career of any Spitfire. 

Can’t see an access port for a plug.

Trevor

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Johnson said:

I probably should have asked thIs in the Spitfire GB, but that’s over and try as I might, I can’t seem to find the answer. I’ve looked at the Spitfire GB reference, so...

No the Mk 1 had an access panel on the starboard side under and just in front of the wing and to the rear of the joint of the bottom cowling for the engine. I found a photo that shows it here:

1ac3e65a6e4cdb4d9f9c6ed1a2d9e697.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/1/2020 at 5:54 AM, stevej60 said:

Because it was a Grumman aircraft, of course!

On 8/4/2020 at 7:36 PM, alt-92 said:

It's not visible on this well-known training movie from June 1940.

Great film!

On 8/4/2020 at 7:49 PM, Max Headroom said:

Can’t see an access port for a plug.

No, nothing to be seen. Plenty of other holes!

18 hours ago, Kallisti said:

No the Mk 1 had an access panel on the starboard side under and just in front of the wing and to the rear of the joint of the bottom cowling for the engine. I found a photo that shows it here:

Good photo!

Thanks everyone. I thought that it shouldn't be there. I think the trouble is that Airfix based their 1/24 Mk1a on restored and museum aircraft that had been modified.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Can I build this as the E4 by leaving off the drop tank ?

If my info is correct the only differance between the E4 and 7 is the tank/bomb rack.

I can buy this one rather cheap...

trumpeter-02291.jpg

Edited by Erwin
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Erwin said:

Can I build this as the E4 by leaving off the drop tank ?

Yes, you can, with the appropriate markings, of course. It might have the extra square bomb fusing/selector panel below the main IP as well, but that would a) be easily enough left off if it is included and b) virtually invisible on the finished model if fitted :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1