Battle of Britain 80th GB Chat

Thank you, Stew, I'll investigate further.

Otherwise, I have the Revell 1/32 Ju88A-1, Airfix 1/48 Hurricane & vehicles set, Defiant, 1/72 Heinkel, Dornier 17 & Defiant dog-fight doubles and some Spitfirr Mk1s and Stukas.

It will be fun making a choice 😀

• Like 2

Just introduced my wife to First of the Few.

The eponymous 1969 film tomorrow of course.

Any other period recommendations with decent flying scenes. I've heard poor things about Dunkirk and Hurricane in that regard.

• Like 2

I thought the Dunkirk flying sequences were pretty good, 303 Squadron (Polish) is ok and Dark Blue Sky (Czech)is better, both are good films and I think they use some extra footage from the Battle of Britain film

Hurricane was a bit CGI 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Any other period recommendations with decent flying scenes. I've heard poor things about Dunkirk and Hurricane in that regard.

Of the movies with real flying, First LightDark Blue World (as Valkyrie mentioned) and Piece of Cake (a mini-series rather than a movie) are great.  First Light is most meaningful as it is the true story of actual BoB pilot Geoffrey Wellum, and the man himself is in the movie describing his experiences. If you like superb aerial footage then Dunkirk is the best of the lot, but if like me you were expecting realistic combat scenes then it's a real disappointment.

303 Squadron and  Hurricane as previously mentioned both use CGI.  It's odd that two Polish movies came out about the same squadron and featuring the same pilots within several weeks of each other! I'm not so much a fan of the CGI-based "flying" sequences either but I thought "Hurricane" was more unrealistic.

Another good but less known movie is Cross of Honour (also known as Into the White), I really liked this one. No flying but it's a good true story (well, "based on actual events" anyway...)

Matt

Edited by MattG
Added more info
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2020 at 10:41 PM, Tim Moff said:

BoB quiz on sat night 8pm online 

If anyone couldn't do the quiz live but still wants to do it, the video recording is now online.  My wife and I did this live (at 5am Sunday morning local time!), it was great fun!

Bit of help required please.

Whilst rummaging in the stash over the weekend I found this kit 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/aoshima-01463-hurricane--211086

Which claims as an option to make  Royal Air Force No.229 Squadron No.229 / P3039 BéBé (Belgian Officer Ortmans) | Battle of Britain - English Channel July 1940

However if you look at the picture on the box it appears to claim that these battleship sized cannons were fitted under the wings. Did these ever actually exist ?

cheers Pat 

The Aosima kit is a Mk.IID and yes they did exist but not in the Battle of Britain, and usually with fairings over the cannon breech.  I did know of this kit's existence but never saw it - didn't realise it came like this!

There was one Hurricane in the BoB with underslung cannons but that was a Mk.I with two Hispano 20mm, and a L serial.  I think it was Freightdog who did a conversion set.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

However if you look at the picture on the box it appears to claim that these battleship sized cannons were fitted under the wings. Did these ever actually exist ?

the kit guns are likely based on this

PJ7.jpg?resize=560,227&ssl=1

41evWf7Ok2epn1tL0Qyb0CiwBbI_4EGB8045OifF

which shows the 40 mm guns without fairings.

I think the guns are oversize, 

The Aoshima kit IIRC is basically a copy of the 60's era Revell kit, so, erm, pretty awful. 

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

There was one Hurricane in the BoB with underslung cannons but that was a Mk.I with two Hispano 20mm, and a L serial.  I think it was Freightdog who did a conversion set.

yes,

and also the C wing prototype

I'll edit in the details in a mo

EDIT see here

for info on both

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

”Since England, in spite of her hopeless military situation, shows no signs of being ready to come to an understanding, I have decided to prepare a landing operation against England and, if necessary, to carry it out...The English Air Force must be so reduced morally and physically that it is unable to deliver any significant attack against the German crossing.”

– Adolf Hitler, Fuhrer Directive 16, 16 July 1940

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

I want both these kits, it’s going to be pointless trying to resist, we all know we will burst eventually

Probably not the time to tell you that if you read the information to distributors there’s also a Bf110 Adlertag boxing inbound in November.... 😆

• Like 4

"I do realize that this struggle, if it continues, can end only with the complete annihilation of one or the other of the two adversaries. Mr. Churchill may believe this will be Germany. I know that it will be Britain...Possibly Mr. Churchill again will brush aside this statement of mine by saying that it is merely born of fear and of doubt in our final victory. In that case I shall have relieved my conscience in regard to the things to come."

-- Adolf Hitler, speech to the Reichstag, 19 July 1940

“Herr Hitler, you have on occasion in the past consulted me as to the mood of the British public. So permit me to render your excellency this little service once again tonight. Let me tell you what we here in Britain think of this appeal of yours to what you are pleased to call our reason and common sense. Herr Führer and Reichskanzler, we hurl it right back at you, right in your evil-smelling teeth.”

-- Sefton Delmer, BBC broadcast to Germany, 19 July 1940

• Like 10

Hi,

So, with just over a week gone this looks like it will be a monster as perhaps expected. I am looking forward to seeing all the builds and hope to finish a few modest ones of my own. Thanks to the organisers - I am having fun already!

Cheers

Pete

• Like 3

On 7/11/2020 at 3:21 AM, MattG said:

• Heinkel He100 (not sure about this one, but it is listed!)

So what is the verdict on this one? I might join in with Special Hobby's in 1/72.

I recently came across this kit in the stash which contains the option to build Adolf Galland's BOB Bf-109.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-60750-messerschmitt-bf-109-e-3--134548

However I thought his emblem was Mickey mouse smoking a cigar, these decals are described as a flying tiger.

Can someone advise me on whats correct please 

Many thanks Pat 

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I recently came across this kit in the stash which contains the option to build Adolf Galland's BOB Bf-109.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-60750-messerschmitt-bf-109-e-3--134548

However I thought his emblem was Mickey mouse smoking a cigar, these decals are described as a flying tiger.

Can someone advise me on whats correct please 

Many thanks Pat 

Here you go pat Galland and his plane on September 24th 40th kill. NnXOzWB.jpg

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 21 July 2020 at 9:25 PM, Lanmi said:

So what is the verdict on this one? I might join in with Special Hobby's in 1/72.

My personal feeling is that it's a misprint in the chart; why would a recconnaisance gruppe based in the Netherlands have a prototype single-engined fighter in its inventory?

However according to the letter of the law, it is on the list, so if you can source appropriate markings suitable for an aircraft from Aufklärungsgruppe 122 there's no reason you couldn't build one :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Thanks 1

On 7/17/2020 at 7:29 PM, JackG said:

With Eduard's recent boxings of their Emil, is it known if any retooling was done?

If you have Airfix's 2010 Emil, here's a quick check you can do;

Not knowing a lot about 109s, which is correct?