Battle of Britain 80th GB Chat

1 hour ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Hi folks,

I'm hoping to join in with this GB and build the He 111 which was shot down over Aberdeen on the 12th of July 1940 en-route to bomb the airfield at Leuchars. Is this an acceptable subject for this build? It may not have taken place in the geographic location usually associated with the battle (London, skies of Kent etc.) but it certainly took place in the right timeframe and was part of the Luftwaffe's assault on the UK.  

Thoughts?

Craig.

1 hour ago, Heather Kay said:

Well, it is known as the Battle of Britain. I think that’s your answer. ;) 

Plus, your build has the good taste of depicting an He 111 that was shot down.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

As I’m being a bit optimistic about how many builds I will manage (four planned), I’m wondering if there’s any objection to me lumping the three Italian builds into one thread to make it easier for me to keep it under control. Thoughts?

Three aircraft in one thread is absolutely fine Heather :) 

Cheers,

Stew

A Battle of Britain GB? Hosted by the mighty @Procopius, @Cookenbacher and @Stew Dapple? I should cocoa.

If I'm not too late to throw my hat into the ring, I'd like to join with an Airfix 1/48th Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Ia, plus some Xtradecals transfers. Assuming I actually have the kit, that is... I think it's in the crawlspace, and will check tomorrow.. If it is, I'll order the markings tomorrow.

If it isn't, I'll go with the Airfix 1/72nd Boulton Paul Defiant, again with Xtradecal transfers.

The only thing is that I can't start before I've got to the weathering stage on the F4U Corsair group build, as I am about as linear as it's possible to be.

• Like 5

Glad to have you along John, it doesn't kick off for another week - well almost, and it runs until the end of October so hats can be introduced to rings at any point between now and then :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Glad to have you along John, it doesn't kick off for another week - well almost, and it runs until the end of October so hats can be introduced to rings at any point between now and then :) 

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks, Stew! Much appreciated 🙂.

I was worrying about the mottled camo used by the Italians. I’ve elected to use ColourCoats enamels, mainly because I’d already bought sets of the relevant colours.

Anyway, while painting the three Italian models I have entered for the GB is still a way off, I thought it might be wise to have a play with the airbrush and paint mule.

50077643158_d7d80c28f7_b.jpg

I tend to have a love/hate relationship with my airbrush. I love what might be achievable, but hate all the prep. Most of my last few builds have been hairy sticks to the fore, and none the worse for it. Anyway, practice makes perfect, and this result isn’t at all bad to my mind. More tests to do, but I think I’ll be able to airbrush the Italians after all.

• Like 16

For the Italian mottled camou, I've seen some modellers apply the scheme by stippling the appropriate colours in powder form and brush.  You could finish off  the paint mule with powders to arrive at a denser colour?

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JackG said:

For the Italian mottled camou, I've seen some modellers apply the scheme by stippling the appropriate colours in powder form and brush.  You could finish off  the paint mule with powders to arrive at a denser colour?

Thanks Jack! Yes, I’ve seen some superb mottling done with artist's pastels. It’s something I can consider, but it needs care before it’s sealed with varnish I would think. I’ve been bimbling about with the airbrush some more, and I think I’ve got most of the technique in hand now. I managed to get some denser paint mixed, and the pressure and trigger action under control, and was quite pleased with my efforts. More research required into the style of camo used on each of my chosen aircraft is needed, though.

• Like 3

Gathering everything....probably a bit ambitious and made need the help of fluid in the 2nd pic!

Will start loading each build onto the build thread and explain why I have chosen them - one of the best things about this type of GB is looking back into history, learning new things, local and personal links etc...

FfXZtvt.jpg

zraBunk.jpg

• Like 9

52 minutes ago, Tim Moff said:

Gathering everything....probably a bit ambitious

Not at all Tim, plenty of time.

52 minutes ago, Tim Moff said:

need the help of fluid in the 2nd pic!

Interesting choice of thinners, but I use Mr Color leveling!

Great selection of books, 'The Most Dangerous Enemy' is superb.

• Haha 4

Is there a Spitfire 1 in 1:32 scale?

I can't seem to remember seeing one, so if not which would be the easiest to convert back Revell Spitfire IIa or HobbyBoss Vb?

32 minutes ago, Kallisti said:

I can't seem to remember seeing one, so if not which would be the easiest to convert back Revell Spitfire IIa or HobbyBoss Vb?

There is always this...

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/kitdb/details.php?kit=1475

No gull wing if I remember. Can’t recall how accurate is was though. 

Properly easiest to use the recent II and sort out a spinner and prop.

Trevor

5 hours ago, Kallisti said:

Revell IIa. Barracudacast makes some resin sets for it to correct some of its failings.

• Like 1

I've been doing some research and I think I've got a solution. I'd like to build a 1:32 Spitfire 1 with the cowlings off showing the Merlin III engine.

The new Revell IIa doesn't have that level of detail but the HobbyBoss Vb does so I'm going to use the fuselage of that, adapt the Merlin 66 that is the powerplant of that back to a Merlin III and add a lot more pipework and detail. I'll also use the wings from the Revell IIa, although I may try to mitigate some of the rivet detail on those wings!

I found a set of notes from the sorely missed Edgar Brooks on his opinion of how to convert the Revell IIa into a I, alongside notes on what is wrong with the IIa full stop (eg the intake for the Heywood compressor on the cowling and so on). I've ordered the Barracuda replacement oil intake an 5 spoke wheels.

I think its really sad we don't have a proper kit of the Mk 1 in 1:32 - there seems no end of versions of the 109 in that scale!!!

• Like 3

Ch5 just finished parts 2/3 coming up tomorrow and Friday - probably on catch up . 

vsxxwsI.png

@museumkent and @bofb1940 worth a follow on Twitter as well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This has been a great programme, the aircraft sequences have been really good, sets up nicely this finishes at 10pm then can start at 12:00, I am going to see if I can get the day off Friday

• Like 3