Battle of Britain 80th GB Chat

For those who may have been contemplating a Corpo Aereo Italiano build (@Heather Kay), Italeri have re-released the CR.42 Falco with two of the markings options included based at Ursel in 1940 :) 

If you don't already have the kit* it will also save you the trouble of trying to track down the appropriate transfers.

Cheers,

Stew

* It is a very nice kit too

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

Says November 1940 on the box :P 

Italians. They have to be fashionably late. 

In fairness, they were there in November too, but the first combat mission was 24th October :) 

Italeri. They have to be factually unreliable :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Haha 1

Yup. First thing I noticed :P 

y4mp-FM8VIbuhA_qnpGV4vgmhwuSn5wlxtoeBO8J

Big bloomin' BoB logo on the front and all the schemes on the back of the box are after the 'official' date. 

The He-111 makes a bit more sense in that regard.

• Like 2

I’ve decided which planes I’m hoping to build. It all depends on time I have available, of course, which may mean only one makes it to the end!

Anyway, all 1/72nd scale, I have a Mister kit Fiat CR.42, AML Fiat G.50, Italeri Fiat BR.20, and a Special Hobby Avro Anson.

The Annie will be MK-V of 500 Squadron, Detling, which famously downed a Bf109. The G.50s were, apparently, in Belgium in October, alongside the CR.42s, but I am happy to accept a judge's decision on acceptability in the GB. Either way, I expect to have some fun with the mottled Italian camo. :penguin:

• Like 5

Hi Heather,

Yes the G.50's were there, but their shorter range limited them to patrols over the channel - they were still combat missions though I think the only losses were to the weather. How are you fixed for markings/transfers?

Also, for anyone who was considering getting one but holding back for some reason - Arma Hobby have released a limited edition Hurricane I Battle of Britain Edition here. Please note that Bob Stanford Tuck's Hurricane is wearing the post-late-November 1940 scheme and would not be eligible, but all the other options look suitable.

Cheers,

Stew

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

How are you fixed for markings/transfers?

I’m hoping the box transfers will be okay. Although the kits are secondhand, they’re still sealed in their bags.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Also, for anyone who was considering getting one but holding back for some reason - Arma Hobby have released a limited edition Hurricane I Battle of Britain Edition here. Please note that Bob Stanford Tuck's Hurricane is wearing the post-late-November 1940 scheme and would not be eligible, but all the other options look suitable.

Geees thanks Chris ☹️ ... Im desperate for R.S.Tuck decals but cant get any of the Arma kits right now due to $ reasons. 😉

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Geees thanks Chris ☹️ ... Im desperate for R.S.Tuck decals but cant get any of the Arma kits right now due to $ reasons. 😉

Chris? :lol: If you can wait Dennis, once I've ordered the kit, once it arrives I can post the transfers for Tuck's Hurricane to you. (Still won't be eligible markings for this group build though!)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Chris? :lol: If you can wait Dennis, once I've ordered the kit, once it arrives I can post the transfers for Tuck's Hurricane to you. (Still won't be eligible markings for this group build though!)

Cheers,

Stew

Thats would be great Stew I'm doing a defiant for the build. But Tucks planes are a bit if a goal for me.

18 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Hi Heather,

Yes the G.50's were there, but their shorter range limited them to patrols over the channel - they were still combat missions though I think the only losses were to the weather. How are you fixed for markings/transfers?

Cheers,

Stew

Good afternoon Stew

A few years ago I bought the Aeromaster decal sheet (in 1/72)

200701015006144959.jpg

Which allows to represent Bob Standord Tuck's Hurricane V6555

200701014726127766.jpg

But it is sold out now unfortunately ..

Patrice

• Like 3

The coreless motors I ordered turned up today, I've just tried them with the woodland scenics power box and they work a treat. I thought as I was adding lights to the flames it thought I'd add power to make he props. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

The forum is up and open for business.   Who are the hosts for this GB?

Thanks Enzo. @Procopius @Cookenbacherand @Stew Dapple hosting. (Edward, if you are unable to attend, Cookie and I will keep your seat warm)

One week to go.... gentlemen, start your comedic revolving bow ties :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As I’m being a bit optimistic about how many builds I will manage (four planned), I’m wondering if there’s any objection to me lumping the three Italian builds into one thread to make it easier for me to keep it under control. Thoughts?

9 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

Thoughts?

Heather most of us on here are blokes …. we are not allowed to think :whistle:

Dick

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Now, don’t be silly! Of course blokes can think. Can't they?

Let me think about that :P

Hi folks,

I'm hoping to join in with this GB and build the He 111 which was shot down over Aberdeen on the 12th of July 1940 en-route to bomb the airfield at Leuchars. Is this an acceptable subject for this build? It may not have taken place in the geographic location usually associated with the battle (London, skies of Kent etc.) but it certainly took place in the right timeframe and was part of the Luftwaffe's assault on the UK.  

Thoughts?

Craig.

• Like 2