Battle of Britain 80th GB Chat

I approve of the command decision.  :thumbsup:

I'm adding it to my 2020 planner...time will tell if I'll actually be able to take part or not (not likely, but one never knows).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2019 at 3:46 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

I've changed my mind about this GB.  Because of the importance of the subject and anniversary, this one gets an automatic entry into the 2020 schedule. 

Dates are Friday 10 July 2020 to Saturday 31 October 2020.

Swoon! You're the tops, Enzo!

• Like 1

"When he left the RAF, [14-victory ace] Bob Doe...did not talk much about the past and did not go to reunions. He did not like to display his sores in public, he said.

"That changed in 1985, when he appeared in a Channel 4 documentary called Churchill's Few...The morning after the broadcast, a roadsweeper walked in [to Doe's petrol garage], shook his hand, said 'Thanks,' and walked away. An old lady came up to him and kissed him and his customers started calling him 'Sir'."

-- Stephen Bungay, The Most Dangerous Enemy: A History of the Battle of Britain

1. Procopius

2. Malpaso

3. LDSModeller

4. steveJ60

5. TEMPESTMK5

6. MarkSH

7. Franky boy

8. Corsairfoxfouruncle

9. PhantomBigStu

10. Robert Stuart

11. Grey Beema

12. GREG DESTEC

13. Ozzy

14. Cookenbacher

15. Rabbit Leader

16. dnl42

17. lasermonkey

18. Bonhoff

19. depressed lemur

20. jrlx

21. Colin W

22. Stew Dapple

23. Beard

24. Arniec

25. stevehnz

26. Torbjorn

27. Hockeyboy76

28. nimrod54

29. Edge

30. Joss

31. 06/24

32. Smudge

33. wimbledon99

34. Redstaf

35. Wez

36. DaveyGair

37. FalkeEins

38. Heather Kay

39. Valkyrie

40. Jockney

41. Retired Bob

42. Paul J

43. jenko

44. Kallisti

45. SleeperService

46. Rafwaffe

47. Anthony Kesterton

48. RJ-WobblyHands

49. Paul Bradley

50. CliffB

51. 4scourge7

52. PLC1966

53. vppelt68

54. Silver Fox

55. Angus Tura

56. Ralph

57. Peter Roberts

58. rob85

59. modelling minion

60. Blitz23

61. helios16v

62. Scimitar F1

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Today in 1940, the Battle of Britain officially began.

"If it is thought best for France in her agony that her army should capitulate, let there be no hesitation on our account, because whatever you do, we shall fight on forever and ever and ever."

– Winston Churchill to Paul Reynaud, 13 June 1940

• Like 6

On 7/10/2019 at 4:20 PM, Procopius said:

Today in 1940, the Battle of Britain officially began.

"If it is thought best for France in her agony that her army should capitulate, let there be no hesitation on our account, because whatever you do, we shall fight on forever and ever and ever."

– Winston Churchill to Paul Reynaud, 13 June 1940

Seen as it’s about that time, I guess tonight could be Battle of Britain Blu-ray then tomorrow start a wee 109 and Spitfire to build over the course of the battle..

• Like 3

"I do realize that this struggle, if it continues, can end only with the complete annihilation of one or the other of the two adversaries. Mr. Churchill may believe this will be Germany. I know that it will be Britain...Possibly Mr. Churchill again will brush aside this statement of mine by saying that it is merely born of fear and of doubt in our final victory. In that case I shall have relieved my conscience in regard to the things to come."

-- Adolf Hitler, speech to the Reichstag, 19 July 1940

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The Battle of Britain

by Cecil Day-Lewis

What did we earth-bound make of it? A tangle
Of vapour trails, a vertiginously high
Swarming of midges, at most a fiery angel
Hurled out of heaven, was all we could descry.

How could we know the agony and pride
That scrawled those fading signatures up there,
And the cool expertise of those who died
Or lived through that delirium of the air?

Grounded on history now, we re-enact
Such lives, such deaths. Time, laughing out of court
The newspaper heroics and the faked
Statistics, leaves us only to record.

What was, what might have been: fighter and bomber,
The tilting sky, tense moves and counterings;
Those who outlived that legendary summer;
Those who went down, its sunlight on their wings.

And you, unborn then, what will you make of it—
This shadow-play of battles long ago?
Be sure of this: they pushed to the uttermost limit
Their luck, skill, nerve. And they were young like you.

1. Procopius

2. Malpaso

3. LDSModeller

4. steveJ60

5. TEMPESTMK5

6. MarkSH

7. Franky boy

8. Corsairfoxfouruncle

9. PhantomBigStu

10. Robert Stuart

11. Grey Beema

12. GREG DESTEC

13. Ozzy

14. Cookenbacher

15. Rabbit Leader

16. dnl42

17. lasermonkey

18. Bonhoff

19. depressed lemur

20. jrlx

21. Colin W

22. Stew Dapple

23. Beard

24. Arniec

25. stevehnz

26. Torbjorn

27. Hockeyboy76

28. nimrod54

29. Edge

30. Joss

31. 06/24

32. Smudge

33. wimbledon99

34. Redstaf

35. Wez

36. DaveyGair

37. FalkeEins

38. Heather Kay

39. Valkyrie

40. Jockney

41. Retired Bob

42. Paul J

43. jenko

44. Kallisti

45. SleeperService

46. Rafwaffe

47. Anthony Kesterton

48. RJ-WobblyHands

49. Paul Bradley

50. CliffB

51. 4scourge7

52. PLC1966

53. vppelt68

54. Silver Fox

55. Angus Tura

56. Ralph

57. Peter Roberts

58. rob85

59. modelling minion

60. Blitz23

61. helios16v

62. Scimitar F1

63. theplasticsurgeon

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I've been having a think of what I'm going to build, I've been thinking about a 1/72 DO-17 with a 1/48 spitfire diving down onto it. I'm just after any advice on if that would work?

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I've been having a think of what I'm going to build, I've been thinking about a 1/72 DO-17 with a 1/48 spitfire diving down onto it. I'm just after any advice on if that would work?

There’s not many better at a dio than you Oz! I’d like to see you create this with your signature small moments all in one scene...a pilot looking over his shoulder, on down on the target...I know it will be great. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ozzy said:

It would work if you could only view it from the Spit's perspective Ozzy, at least in my humble opinion as you do great Dio's.

I would just do them both 1/72nd, unless it's a cannon armed Spit which could engage from a further distance. I'm doing the Airfix BoB set with all four aircraft on the supplied stand, probably completely unrealistic, but the .303 armed Brit's had to get in close!

Davey.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

There’s not many better at a dio than you Oz! I’d like to see you create this with your signature small moments all in one scene...a pilot looking over his shoulder, on down on the target...I know it will be great. 

34 minutes ago, DaveyGair said:

It would work if you could only view it from the Spit's perspective Ozzy, at least in my humble opinion as you do great Dio's.

I would just do them both 1/72nd, unless it's a cannon armed Spit which could engage from a further distance. I'm doing the Airfix BoB set with all four aircraft on the supplied stand, probably completely unrealistic, but the .303 armed Brit's had to get in close!

Davey.

Thanks guys,

my initial is plan the Do17 over an airfield with bomb bay doors open with a spitfire swooping in, I've got time to have a think and also time to find a Do17 kit as they seem to be out of production at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/11/2019 at 6:46 AM, Enzo Matrix said:

I've changed my mind about this GB.  Because of the importance of the subject and anniversary, this one gets an automatic entry into the 2020 schedule. 

Dates are Friday 10 July 2020 to Saturday 31 October 2020.

Hey @Greg Law, here's that BoB 80th anniversary GB I mentioned earlier on. This might tempt you to come along. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

On 21/09/2019 at 20:58, Ozzy said:

I'm a bit slow to pick up on this one Ozzy, sorry.

The sort of diorama you are suggesting can work well as a shadow box (google 'shadow box') ... it is a tempting scene, and I could suggest a few ideas to play with.

• Like 1

Hi Folks I'm definitely in come Hell or high water with a big Hurricane I'm determined to find a Revell 1/32 Hurricane for this one.I would 

love to do Hurricane L1963 which crashed less than a mile from me on October 1940 which fought in the Battle with 43 Sqn.I have tried

in vain to find the codes for this aircraft at the time but something might turn up.

http://www.bbm.org.uk/airmen/Toogood.htm

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Hey @Greg Law, here's that BoB 80th anniversary GB I mentioned earlier on. This might tempt you to come along. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave

I would like to be in this GB. There are several projects I could do. It will either be a Hurricane or the Do 215. 1/48. I will see how I am situated closer to the time. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

I'm a bit slow to pick up on this one Ozzy, sorry.

The sort of diorama you are suggesting can work well as a shadow box (google 'shadow box') ... it is a tempting scene, and I could suggest a few ideas to play with.

Thanks Robert, 

i will I’ll have a look.

Yes I am definitely in as well.  After thinking about it I will most likely do a Bf 110D with the big belly tank which was part of the August 15th northern raid like the He 111H-4 I"m doing now. 

Here is my project.

Bf 110D image1

I have just bought this book to help. I got it from Wingleader Aviation books. There are two parts.

Me110Part2coverart

This is an excellent book with a lot of good profiles of the Bf 110D that took part

in the August 15th northern raids. It has two big sections on ZG 26 AND ZG 76.

There is a section on LG1 as well.

• Like 3

"I was petrified but I was more scared of calling myself a coward than if anyone else called me one.  There was no way I was going to call myself a coward, so I went."

-- Robert "Bob" Doe, 234 Squadron

1. Procopius

2. Malpaso

3. LDSModeller

4. steveJ60

5. TEMPESTMK5

6. MarkSH

7. Franky boy

8. Corsairfoxfouruncle

9. PhantomBigStu

10. Robert Stuart

11. Grey Beema

12. GREG DESTEC

13. Ozzy

14. Cookenbacher

15. Rabbit Leader

16. dnl42

17. lasermonkey

18. Bonhoff

19. depressed lemur

20. jrlx

21. Colin W

22. Stew Dapple

23. Beard

24. Arniec

25. stevehnz

26. Torbjorn

27. Hockeyboy76

28. nimrod54

29. Edge

30. Joss

31. 06/24

32. Smudge

33. wimbledon99

34. Redstaf

35. Wez

36. DaveyGair

37. FalkeEins

38. Heather Kay

39. Valkyrie

40. Jockney

41. Retired Bob

42. Paul J

43. jenko

44. Kallisti

45. SleeperService

46. Rafwaffe

47. Anthony Kesterton

48. RJ-WobblyHands

49. Paul Bradley

50. CliffB

51. 4scourge7

52. PLC1966

53. vppelt68

54. Silver Fox

55. Angus Tura

56. Ralph

57. Peter Roberts

58. rob85

59. modelling minion

60. Blitz23

61. helios16v

62. Scimitar F1

63. theplasticsurgeon

64. Greg Law

I've never taken part in one of these before, but this one feels an appropriate place to start, as I've been meaning to build a model in memory of my great uncle (on this topic, I also need to build a very early Avro 504 & at least one Cold War RN ship...).  I don't have any info on the Spitfire(s) he flew during the Battle of Britain aside from the squadron, but I do know the serial number & squadron for the one in which he took his final flight a year later, aged 20.  I'll be using either a Revell MkIIa, or possibly an Eduard later version modified back to MkIIa appearance, in 1:72 scale.

Edited by Paul H
spelling
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, Paul H said:

I've been meaning to build a model in memory of my great uncle (on this topic, I also need to build a very early Avro 504 & at least one Cold War RN ship...).  I don't have any info on the Spitfire(s) he flew during the Battle of Britain aside from the squadron, but I do know the serial number & squadron for the one in which he took his final flight a year later, aged 20.

A fitting tribute to his memory. :poppy:... My guess is the Avro 504 & RN ship are for other relatives ? Im doing a similar thing for my Relatives. Grandfather and Grand-uncles from WW2, Korea, & Vietnam. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After much deliberation and a good few hours spent researching the event, I think I have decided on the two aircraft I'll be doing. Both were engaged in combat over my home town, with the loser crashing a few hundred yards from my first place of work. Unbeknownst to me at the time, I built one of the two particular aircraft as a kid!

As it happens, I already have the necessary kits, though I may have to resort to the spares box for some of the decals.

Local aviation history, along with the BoB are my two main areas of interest and being able to combine them for this groupbuild is very exciting!

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Paul H said:

I'll be using either a Revell MkIIa, or possibly an Eduard later version modified back to MkIIa appearance, in 1:72 scale.

Paul, of course it's your call but I'd go with the Revell Mk.II rather than the Eduard Mk.VIII or the Mk.IX which would mean replacing... well a substantial percentage of the aircraft. I know we've got three months for the Group Build, and the Eduard kits are very much nicer, but I imagine you probably don't want to spend the whole three months filling and sanding :) 

1 hour ago, lasermonkey said:

After much deliberation and a good few hours spent researching the event, I think I have decided on the two aircraft I'll be doing. Both were engaged in combat over my home town, with the loser crashing a few hundred yards from my first place of work. Unbeknownst to me at the time, I built one of the two particular aircraft as a kid!

Intriguing, that sounds an interesting story, look forward to reading (and seeing) it :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1