3d Printing and SciFi models...?

j-fever

It seems to me that 3d printing has made it possible to have any sci-fi subject as long as the 3d file is made, at almost any size?

Does anyone know:

How popular 3d printing sci-fi subjects is (vehicles, not figures)?

What about buying 3d printed models vs resin and plastic?

Cheers

JH

Check out www.shapeways.com, there are loads of SF models on the site.

3D printed models are going to be more expensive than resin or plastic. However it would be good for making a master for resin casting and making detail parts to be added to a scratchbuilt hull.

I've got a Rocinante from The Expanse on order from www.printedplanes.com. It was £55 and that is for a 300mm kit, which I don't think is too expensive for a niche kit.

@Mike has one too, and also has a Canterbury from the same place and he reckons the quality is up there.

Edited by Rob998

I recently bought a 1/12th astronaut figure from Shapeways for my Atomic City Mercury, it was exceptionally well made and detailed, well worth the £35 it cost. It arrived from point of order in just over a week too.

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

We've also got the Knight Ship in for review, which plays a small but important role at the beginning of The Expanse, again from PrintedPlanes.  I'm really impressed with the quality of the prints, and once you've gotten rid of the sticky residue and the "dead skin" that's clinging to the exterior (I'm guessing it's sem-cured resin that didn't quite get the full dose of laser-light), the quality is excellent, and so far the best I've seen :yes:

Incidentally, the clean-up is done with IPA, which you can pick up either from your local chemist, or off eBay in 5 litre/gallon containers for a reasonable sum :)

• Like 1

The expanse stuff is great, thanks for the link Mike.

I have lots of experience making (scratch building...)  3d models, both traditional and CG. I made a couple babylon 5 kits in 1994 that proved to be popular, then mostly sculpted figures.

Now I have 3d printers at home, so kinda checking around for what modelers are interested in beyond my own personal taste?

Cheers

JH