How to fix overthinned paint?

WelshZeCorgi

If your want to keep your paint in the best condition, only thin the amount of paint you're going to use in a single session. Then discard any excess thinned paint when you're done with the session.

1 hour ago, dnl42 said:

Then discard any excess thinned paint when you're done with the session.

I've never done that and never had a problem with reused paint.

If I did it would double my paint bill.

If its not too far gone you can try adding Artists Acrylic Medium. Its a white/clear goopy paste which artists add to acrylic paints to give them 'body'.

I have a tube and add some to thin acrylic paints which I have bought. It helps a bit. The paste itself dries clear and has no affect on drying time, it merely thickens the paint

The worst possible case seems to be the total loss - of a single bottle of paint.

You have already seen the error inherent in guessing the amount of thinner to use.  How can you know how much new paint to add to get where you want to be? 

You would be better off getting a new bottle and using the over-thinned mixture to thin it, rather than the other way 'round.  You will lessen the possibility of a repeat that way.  Slow and easy works every time.

• Like 1

Tamiya acrylic paints are lacquers; they dry by evaporation of solvent, so it is safe to let some of the solvent evaporate. If too much thinner evaporates, you can add more thinner, as it will dissolve even fully dried paint.

Enamel paints dry and cure (chemically react with oxygen from air), and cured paint is then not soluble in the thinner in the paint; that makes the paint somewhat or entirely unusable, depending how much of it cured, when adding thinner to gloopy paint will not dissolve it any more.

• Like 1