Cream colour ideas

Kitchen Modeller

Hi Fellas - I'm not really a car guy but I'm doing a model Dodge Charger as a gift for my brother in law - I'm having some trouble finding the relative colour match and would appreciate some suggestions - please see photo below (ignore small child in the foreground): 

cream-color

I'm open to any suggestions - ideally it would be something I can shoot through an airbrush but happy to use the rattle can variety also. I use Tamiya acrylics typically but I don't think they have anything I can use here... 

Thanks in advance! 

Tamiya don't seem to do a suitable shade that I can see, but Humbrol do an Ivory gloss in both enamel & acrylic while Vallejo do an Ivory matt in the Model colour range (918). I would think one of these with some white would be a good start point.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Heeeey Charger!✌️ (You not being a car guy, you might not get that. :) )

<cough> That's a Valiant, mate, not a Dodge (the Valiant was a rather special Aussie one, the Dodge was an overweight Yank tank), from about 1971. I refer you to the following chart as a place to start your colour search - the one in the photo would appear to be Antique Ivory, but it may also be Blonde Olive. Get thee to thy local car parts place and have a look at a paint colour chart, then make your decision (or ask your brother if he remembers what colour it was). DO NOT rely on what you see on your monitor for the colour choice, as it will most likely be wrong, wrong, wrong. Once you have the colour identified, you can use that as a matching source for model paints (or just use a rattle can of the right colour, decanted for the airbrush if required.)

https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/brochures_1971_Chrysler_Valiant_VH_Charger_zoomall

and here for the actual paint codes to make the matching easier

https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/colour_codes_chrysler_australia

and Wikipedia on the beast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Valiant_Charger

HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After a bit of looking up colour conversion charts, RGB and hex charts etc, it seems that an out of the bottle model paint isn't really available - Humbrol 41 is about the closest you'll get. Have a look here

https://encycolorpedia.com/paints?color=f8e7b4

for an interactive chart. Again, don't use the colours as definitive, but as a guide to 'closeness'. (You can use the drop down box to find 'closest matches' in different paint manufacturer's ranges - there's a few model companies in there.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Crikey - a Marrickville Mercedes! (You'd have to be a Sydneysider to get that ...) There are still a few of them on Australian roads. My former brother-in-law used to be the Chrysler agent in Lake Cargelligo, and he had a few Charger wrecks in his yard - they would probably be worth a bob or two now ...

• Like 3

On 10/22/2018 at 3:49 PM, stevehnz said:

Tamiya don't seem to do a suitable shade that I can see, but Humbrol do an Ivory gloss in both enamel & acrylic while Vallejo do an Ivory matt in the Model colour range (918). I would think one of these with some white would be a good start point.

Steve.

Thanks for that Steve - I can get some Vallejo or humbrol easily enough - so that's bang on... 

On 10/22/2018 at 3:54 PM, Rob G said:

Heeeey Charger!✌️ (You not being a car guy, you might not get that. :) )

<cough> That's a Valiant, mate, not a Dodge (the Valiant was a rather special Aussie one, the Dodge was an overweight Yank tank), from about 1971.  I refer you to the following chart as a place to start your colour search - the one in the photo would appear to be Antique Ivory, but it may also be Blonde Olive. Get thee to thy local car parts place and have a look at a paint colour chart, then make your decision (or ask your brother if he remembers what colour it was). DO NOT rely on what you see on your monitor for the colour choice, as it will most likely be wrong, wrong, wrong. Once you have the colour identified, you can use that as a matching source for model paints (or just use a rattle can of the right colour, decanted for the airbrush if required.)

https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/brochures_1971_Chrysler_Valiant_VH_Charger_zoomall

and here for the actual paint codes to make the matching easier

https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/colour_codes_chrysler_australia

and Wikipedia on the beast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Valiant_Charger

HTH

Thanks Rob - I can see that I came to the right place - with me not being a car guy and all - I'm really not - I'm in it for the airplanes:)  Of course you're absolutely correct about the car in the photo - It is an Aussie Valiant Charger and it's my brother in laws pride and joy.  I did want to to do a model based on it but I had no joy finding a kit that was even close to it. I'm not interested in doing any scratch building or conversation work (don't have the time) so I'm simply going for something completely different. What I should have said is that I'm building a dodge charger - and wanted to do it the same colour as the Charger in the photo. Hope that makes sense. The info you provided will be invaluable all the same so thanks for that. 

I'm actually building it as part of a post apocalyptic diorama so you can gather by that where I'm going with this... I think my brother in law will get a great kick out it featuring a charger the same colour as his own... I'll be happy to post it here when complete... 

7 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

Crikey - a Marrickville Mercedes! (You'd have to be a Sydneysider to get that ...) There are still a few of them on Australian roads. My former brother-in-law used to be the Chrysler agent in Lake Cargelligo, and he had a few Charger wrecks in his yard - they would probably be worth a bob or two now ...

I think the one in the photo is worth quite a few bob being fully restored - though it has an oil leak that can never be fixed... It's a beaut of a car - even I fully appreciate it's sheer awesomeness. 

Edited by Kitchen Modeller
  • Like 2

KM, I'm sure there are some aftermarket people over here who do 1:24 resin bodies of Australian cars, I don't know of any, but like you I'm more into aircraft, so that means nothing much. I know there are bodies around for Monaros/Commodores and Falcons, and there should also be something for Valiants.

You could try Nigel Lowe at Auslowe Model Accessories (www.auslowe.com.au) - he's more a truck man, but may well know where you could pick up a Charger body, or at least who to contact for more information. If you find the body, almost certainly the supplier will be able to point you to a kit (presumably of something Chrysler) that could be used as a base.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/23/2018 at 6:10 PM, Admiral Puff said:

You could try Nigel Lowe at Auslowe Model Accessories (www.auslowe.com.au)

Thanks so much for that - I will try my luck with him - it would be awesome to do a Valiant Charger after doing this Dodge. 

As a follow up to all of this, I ended up using Vallejo Ivory model colour on this project - I probably wouldn't use this again as I had a terrible time getting it to go through the airbrush in a consistent manner - I used airbrush flow improver to thin it, which worked well for the most part, but the paint never wanted to dry in the right place so alot of re-spraying was required. I'd go with a lacquer based paint next time. As promised, the completed build can be seen here: 

Thanks again for the colour suggestions - I got there in the end.