This Canberra B(i) Mk.8 is the second output from my ongoing Canberra builds.  The first (a TT.18) was completed 9 years ago, so this has not been a fast project; However, the third (a B.57)is nearly at the decal application stage. A PR.9 and B(I) Mk.6 await!

wp74da14f3_05_06.jpg

FROG (and spawn) Canberras are easy to find and cheap. I'm not exactly sure why,  because it is a reasonable, if simple kit.  The only real issue I experienced was the vague attachment points for the wings, which make it awkward to get the wing dihedral correct. Seams needed a little attention and filler, as did the canopy.

wpca0104cc_05_06.jpg

Paint is hand brushed Humbrol enamel, with panel lines emphasised in light pencil above and silver pencil below. A coat of acrylic Micro Satin finishes off the shiny 1960s high speed finish!

wpd8f1fcb7_05_06.jpg

This is clearly a kit from a different era, but it remains a fun build with enough scope to add your own personal touches of simple detail. Mine was a late FROG original issue; I haven't seen one of the more recent releases so can't say how the mould is holding up after all this time, but originals are still plentiful and easily available online for about £10 even from established secondhand kit dealers. 

wp1c045cc5_05_06.jpg

FredT :)

DSC_3048.JPG

DSC_3050.JPG

Edited by gengriz
added pictures of both models
  • Like 46

Wow, she looks beautiful! Brilliant hand brushing too, I spray all mine because otherwise my brushing leaves lines and looks a bit heavy, but this is first class.

Great looking Canberra; I was considering selling the one I have in my stash but I think I'll keep it now and see if I can get it like this one.

I built one a few years ago. However, it was one of those awful Soviet era mouldings from the early/mid 1980s and the plastic was awful. It didn't really react properly to polystyrene cement. If at all possible, make use of original; FROG or early Novo mouldings.

• Like 1

A beautiful looking Canberra with a great paint finish.  The TT.18 looks superb too,  I too have built this kit and think it holds up really well.  Where did you get the 88 Squadron decals?  I've always liked their snake marking.  Could you tell me which kit you used for the TT.18?  I've a distinct lake of goldfish bowl Canberras.  The S&M one is a tad too pricey for me.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2018 at 10:43 AM, Meatbox8 said:

A beautiful looking Canberra with a great paint finish.  The TT.18 looks superb too,  I too have built this kit and think it holds up really well.  Where did you get the 88 Squadron decals?  I've always liked their snake marking.  Could you tell me which kit you used for the TT.18?  I've a distinct lake of goldfish bowl Canberras.  The S&M one is a tad too pricey for me.

Thanks.  The 88 Sqn markings are those supplied in the original FROG box. It comes with a South African option too.   

The TT.18 is the Italeri B-57 kit with the fantastic Airwaves resin nose/engine/wheels, plus decals from various sources. 

P3270554a.jpg

I'm hoping to do a goldfish bowl B(I).6 before Christmas as part of this theme using the Airfix kit (I'm not quite sure what to do with the nose). There do seem to be a lot of Airfix B.6s on sale on e-bay at the moment, which makes me wonder if someone knows something and an announcement is imminent? :) 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, gengriz said:

Thanks.  The 88 Sqn markings are those supplied in the original FROG box. It comes with a South African option too.   

The TT.18 is the Italeri B-57 kit with the fantastic Airwaves resin nose/engine/wheels, plus decals from various sources. 

P3270554a.jpg

I'm hoping to do a goldfish bowl B(I).6 before Christmas as part of this theme using the Airfix kit (I'm not quite sure what to do with the nose). There do seem to be a lot of Airfix B.6s on sale on e-bay at the moment, which makes me wonder if someone knows something and an announcement is imminent? :) 

Thanks for that.  I've used the Airwaves nose myself, combined with their T.17A conversion set.  As you say, a great conversion kit.  I have built the Airfix B(I)6 too.  I tried really hard to get the nose contours to resemble the real thing but, to be honest, it still doesn't look right.  

• Like 1

Wow, both look fab,  The BI(8) is exactly what I did with an Airfix 1/48th one  to try and recapture  the excitement that you have there in the Frog kit. It looks masterfull. Funny enough I@m also working on a Royal TT18 at the moment too!. They are both great, well done.

Nice work!

I have one of the spawn kits and by whatever time it was released the moulds had not stood up well. Lots of flash and some of it so thick it can be hard to tell where the flash ends and the part begins.

I can only hope that my slow build will end up a quarter as good as yours.

DennisTheBear