Ceramic wire?

JimF

I have seen mention of using the above for rigging, especially in 1/72, in some older kit build reviews on other sites. I believe .006" size was what was used.

I assume it is a type of metal wire with ceramic coating?

Has anyone used it, and does anyone have a source for it?

Any info appreciated. Thanks.

Jim F

Wonder Wire was produced by some place in Vermont, now (I believe) defunct. I miss it terribly. I thought it was the greatest stuff. Measure the distance and attach both ends with white glue. It might not have passed muster with an IPMS judge and a penlight, but it was perfectly adequate for what I was trying to achieve. No bends or kinks ever. If anyone knows of a replacement product - and a source - I'd be delighted. I know about the stretchy stuff, regular fishing line, and regular wire, but they all present problems. Mostly eliminating the kinks, having to use superglue, and having to drill holes in the wing. I have heard about Nitenol wire, but haven't mustered up the courage to buy-in yet. That's pretty expensive stuff. 

Wonder Wire is a single 6 mil strand of ceramic fibre. It's my goto for rigging. IIRC, it was only sold by mail. I bought a number of packages when I last ordered it. I just checked my packages and sadly there's no name, phone, or address. 

I noticed in Ray Rimell's 'Building the WNW Sopwith Camels' that he's started using Wonder wire a lot. Perhaps he has a current source? Not listed in the materials section of the book though - I just checked. I used to use it a lot, but it was got for me by a friend in the US and sent on. My stock is now gone.

Paul.

Found this on a recent(ish) IPMS USA thread

"The biggest drawback is trying to get it! The only source I've ever known is Precision Enterprises. Despite the name, the seems to be a mom/pop operation. They have no web site. You have to call them and order over the phone. They DO take credit card purchases, so once you get them, it's easy. Also it's not expensive being about $10/6ft length. I've tried to find "ceramic wire" other places, but came up dry...Their ph# (last I knew) is: 802-885-3094"

I do not know of a current commercial source.  Wonder Wire is in fact the carbon monofilament used in modern aircraft skinning.  Since modelers often have contacts in the aviation business, it is surprising no one has developed a new souce

Edited by jimmaas
spelling

I have used very thin wire that came in 8 foot plastic tubes ( I ordered 3 tubes).  Sorry but I don't know where I got it but it was not marketed for models, it was for industrial or commercial use but it worked great and would not bend or kink.  It was so thin that you could easily loose it on your table, let alone carpet and it was very easy to stab yourself with it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2018 at 8:53 AM, Folkbox1 said:

Found this on a recent(ish) IPMS USA thread

"The biggest drawback is trying to get it! The only source I've ever known is Precision Enterprises. Despite the name, the seems to be a mom/pop operation. They have no web site. You have to call them and order over the phone. They DO take credit card purchases, so once you get them, it's easy. Also it's not expensive being about $10/6ft length. I've tried to find "ceramic wire" other places, but came up dry...Their ph# (last I knew) is: 802-885-3094"

Precision Enterprises is still in business--at least they were about 2 months ago when I placed an order for Wonder Wire. I was looking to restock my supply, having last purchased some maybe 15 years ago. I asked for 10 packages, was told they didn't have that much on hand, but could have more in about a week or 2. True to their word, about 3 weeks later it arrived in the mail. 

They don't manufacture the stuff--it's obviously some sort of industrial product, though exactly what I have no idea. If you ask they will tell you it's ceramic wire, which sounds reasonable. It is a stiff, brittle, glass like substance--it will shatter if handled improperly or abused. I have searched the web repeatedly for ceramic wire, ceramic fiber, ceramic filament, glass wire, carbon fiber, and any conceivable related terms but all my efforts have proved fruitless. I've never found anything that quite fit the description of Wonder Wire. I like the product, but dislike not knowing what it really is and having only one mom & pop source for it.

Yes, they are not user friendly, with no website, contact by phone only, but they are honest and reliable. Oh, they also have day jobs, so you will need to call after 6 in the evening USA EST (5 hours earlier than GMT). The phone number posted above is still good. 

In short, order with confidence, and order soon--who knows how much longer they will be around. 

• Like 2