Snarling Emil!

Dear Friends

Here is the Airfix Bf 109E-4 dressed up with resin wheels, resin cockpit, exhausts and brass gun barrels.  The markings are for I/JG52 to whom Ulrich Steinhilper belonged.  He wrote a book called 'Spitfire on my tail'.  He was shot down in October 1940.  His memoirs mirror in many ways his RAF counterparts.  The exhaustion of flying up to 4 missions a day and losing about 2/3 of his colleagues in the battle.

1uJg17r.jpg

yZGUIlq.jpg

vJm8F4b.jpg

YE6X15v.jpg

Hope you like it?

Andrew

• Like 46

Nice one Andrew, I do like your interpretation of this, very deftly done indeed. I've read  Steinhilper's book & have a copy on its way to me as I write, I've long wanted to do his machine Yellow 12 but it will be a best guess as detail seems to be thin on the ground, your model will help to inspire me. :)

Steve.

That's brilliant!

The new-tool Airfix kit is showing up quite a bit here, and everyone seems to be doing superb work with it.

Hope mine (when I have a mind to built it) works out somewhere near as nice as this!

:clap:

That's a great looking Emil! I'm hopefully getting to the closing stages of building much the same basic kit and am impressed with the new level of detail that Airfix manage to package in their new mouldings. It's always a bit of a struggle to get the radio mast secure enough in the rear canopy to maintain tension on the aerial wire without pulling the mast out of the vertical. Nicely done though and the setting's very atmospheric. Paul

Wow.  I wish I could get my attempts at kit building to come out looking anything like that. 

And such good photographs too.

I envy you your talent.

That's an absolute stunner.  I had to do a double take to make sure it wasn't 1/48th.   A wonderful paint finish.  The figure really helps to illustrate the diminutive proportions of the real thing.  

Dear Fellow Modellers

Thanks for your encouragement!  I did indeed break my antenna at one point and had to just repair it and hope for the best.

OK, maybe not snarling until the engine is running - fair point.  Those of us who have heard the DB engine Bf 109 know it sounds completely different from the Merlin, somehow a more sinister sound.  Many years ago the Bf 109G-2 flew low over our village and the sound would put a shiver down your spine!

The colour scheme would represent early August before the yellow paint was handed round.

Yes I did do rivetting, well spotted!

Regards

Andrew