1/144 DC-10: Revell or Airfix?

Bjorn

The Revell kit dates from 1972 and the Airfix one from 1980 so neither is up to modern standards. Both will need refinement and detailing.

I've never built the Revell kit so I've no hands-on experience of its foibles but this might help and it shows what a good result the Revell kit can give in the right hands.  The most important modification is to change the thrust reversers unless you are modelling a very early aircraft.

It's a long time since I built the Airfix kit but although it's newer it probably needs more work than the Revell one. From memory the main issues were the wing engines which hang far too low, the cabin windows which are too low and the absence of some important details like the prominent air intakes below the nose.

At the end of the day it's your choice.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 8:49 AM, Skodadriver said:

I've never built the Revell kit so I've no hands-on experience of its foibles but this might help and it shows what a good result the Revell kit can give in the right hands.  

I've got a funny warm glow inside from having one of my models held as an example to follow!!

Thanks

Mike

• Like 2

If you've got both, build both side by side! Simples!:lol:. I've built both. The Revell kit was an easier build but, probably due to the better quality material. Built several Airfix DC-10s as they were easier to find but, the plastic seemed very flimsy and easily damaged. All of the Airfix kits I had suffered warping of wings/fuselage As for the minutiae regarding some Airfix details? Well, not really bothered. It is unmistakably a DC-10. For both kits I filled in the windows and used decal windows instead. Didn't like the shallow wheel wells either but, a little scratch building took care of that. Both kits very hard to come by nowadays unfortunately.

Allan

I've gotten acceptable results by combining the best of both kits.  The wings and body fairing of the Revell kit with the nose and engines of the Airfix kit.  I'm not too keen on repeating that feat so I'm hoping Eastern Express will release their 1/144 DC-10 soon.

Best regards....Duncan

• Like 2