El Alamein Sherman.

This is another one of my builds from a few years ago, but for me, it was a bit different in so far as it was built Out of the Box........well almost. It's Tasca's Sherman ll, and it was a fairly recent release when I got hold of it. It's a great kit and even though I built it OOTB, if I was to do it again, I would use etched brass for things such as the headlamp brush guards, as although they are thinner than other manufacturers efforts, they are still a bit on the thick side.

If memory serves me right, the decals are the ones in the kit and are for a tank of the 9th Lancers at El Alamein in 1942. The figure is from the kit I believe, with one of the excellent Hornet heads. I originally painted his side cap red, but it was pointed out to me by somebody in the know that it should be khaki.

I hope you like it.

John.

7e33c752-d826-49b2-affd-b67d55971dd4.JPG

cbc24b4f-cce0-4bea-99ee-7fede33208a5.JPG

729d4a10-672a-4f61-8312-576145a08689.JPG

08231769-3719-4680-b60e-6955b15fe9ae.JPG

ae8ba034-22ac-4224-a5fd-04ca6cbcf596.JPG

3b05f497-9c94-4580-afdb-358ed235231d.JPG

• Like 42

Not bad at all, that, John.

In fact, it's excellent.

Nice tones somehow convey a dusty look without there being any actual dust. That figure is superb, the cap badge being the Jewel on the crown of the entire scene, I think! I have the same set of heads that that one came from. I do think he looks more German than British though!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Badder said:

Not bad at all, that, John.

In fact, it's excellent.

Nice tones somehow convey a dusty look without there being any actual dust. That figure is superb, the cap badge being the Jewel on the crown of the entire scene, I think! I have the same set of heads that that one came from. I do think he looks more German than British though!

Rearguards,

Badder

My first thought was he was shouting at the Germans.

”Ay yew... yeah yew git over here an’ lemme hole yuh with this seventyfife!”

• Haha 1

Cracking modelling skills but I do know what the guy in the turret is shouting 'where are my f***** headsets and microphone'.  As a Crew Commander he needs these to listen and transmit on the radio and the inter communications system so he can control his driver, hull gunner/co-driver, gunner and loader.  

• Thanks 1

Hi John. That's a superb looking Sherman. The Tasca Sherman's are usually great kits and you did an impressive job with it. The weathering looks spot on. Very well done.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

Cracking build, can't see anything that needs improving.

Thanks Ant. Certainly from the point of view of the kit, I would definitely agree. These are probably the best Sherman kits on the market.

John.

20 hours ago, Badder said:

That figure is superb, the cap badge being the Jewel on the crown of the entire scene, I think! I have the same set of heads that that one came from. I do think he looks more German than British though!

Thanks Badder. Hornet heads make a world of difference and that's the best face that I've ever done. I've never got near it since. If I remember rightly, the cap badge came from an etched set from Inside the Armour.

John.

15 hours ago, dcrfan said:

Cracking modelling skills but I do know what the guy in the turret is shouting 'where are my f***** headsets and microphone'.  As a Crew Commander he needs these to listen and transmit on the radio and the inter communications system so he can control his driver, hull gunner/co-driver, gunner and loader.  

He could be sneezing........or even yawning, having just woken up. Hence, no earphones and mike.

Thanks for the comments.

John.

7 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi John. That's a superb looking Sherman. The Tasca Sherman's are usually great kits and you did an impressive job with it. The weathering looks spot on. Very well done.

Kind regards,

Stix

'Evening Stix. Many thanks for the kind remarks. There are so many things that I like about the Tasca kits, not least of which is the superb .50 cal. mg.

John.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kris B said:

Nice build John. The dark colour, which one is it? On the photos looks like sort of dark green.

Thanks Chris. Yes it is green. I'm not sure but it might be G3. I've no idea which one I used for it though, but it wasn't Tamiya, as I brush painted it. I think that I followed the kits instructions with regards to the colour, but looking at a couple of books that I have which feature this tank, I'm not sure if it should be green or black. This tank is on Bison decal sheet and they state OD, but I'm sceptical of that. 

John.

15 minutes ago, Buzby061 said:

Didn't know you could get etched cap badges.

Thanks Pete. Chris Meddings does a couple of sheets covering several different British armoured regiments.

John.

• Like 1

Very nice work👍
African themes are very interesting but also very difficult to make.
A lot of work on the Africa subject has got overwhelmed colors and weathering
which is not pleasant to see.
In your work the colors are super cool .... they are not over-rated.
Weathering is also moderate, which is very good.
The figure is the first class.
This work is a pure example of successful work.
Cheers

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, phildagreek said:

That's smart that is. You can forget that some British / Commonwealth armour was camouflaged, that looks good.

15 hours ago, Hairtrigger said:

Grand piece of work..  I ESPECIALLY like the figure...  Must try Hornet heads. 

Many thanks for the comments. It's difficult to interpret b&w photos. I'm still not sure whether it should be black or green.

Give Hornet Heads a go. You won't be disappointed.

John.

14 hours ago, stips said:

Very nice work👍
African themes are very interesting but also very difficult to make.
A lot of work on the Africa subject has got overwhelmed colors and weathering
which is not pleasant to see.
In your work the colors are super cool .... they are not over-rated.
Weathering is also moderate, which is very good.
The figure is the first class.
This work is a pure example of successful work.
Cheers

That's very nice of you to say so. Thanks a lot.

John.