Hawker Hurricane IV, 20 Squadron RAF *Finished*

Beard

Three of my six builds are almost done so it's time to start another.

I'll be doing this:

20181017_190522

I haven't been able to find any photographs online to confirm or deny the colour of the wing stripes- I think they would be white.

Here are the sprues:

20181017_190812

20181017_190830

The transparencies and resin bits:

20181017_190853

The transfers:

20181017_190909

The kit is typical of the older AZ kits, it's short-run and has some plastic that needs removing:

2018-10-20_08-44-32

I've made a start. As usual, painting the bits that are black and bits that'll be aluminium with Humbrol 33 and, the cockpit bits with Colourcoats Interior Grey-green:

20181020_204454

20181020_204504

20181020_204522

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 6

welcome aboard.......again.....I think I've lost track what number this build is (ok just re-read first post, #4?), but you do look to be having lots of fun and that's all that matters. :thumbsup:

This is only the second Hurricane in the build, to be honest I wasn't sure if they operated in the Far East, I had thought they were Europe/Nth Africa only....plus Russia.

Hmmm short run models....I know them well! Those mould plugs on the wings look like mountains, least they're easy to get rid of.

Will good luck with this one, I see you've made great progress already.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Beard said:

I haven't been able to find any photographs online to confirm or deny the colour of the wing stripes- I think they would be white.

Your I/d stripes on wings and tail surfaces would indeed be white.  Spinners and codes could be white or “SEAC White” (White and Blue mixed locally so shades could, and did, vary.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stever219 said:

Your I/d stripes on wings and tail surfaces would indeed be white.  Spinners and codes could be white or “SEAC White” (White and Blue mixed locally so shades could, and did, vary.

Initially, white was used,  was found to be too bright, and "India White" was developed.  

Both are seen in photos

hurricane.jpg&key=ce501eb5f0438fe048c06f

Given the stripes are a darker tone than the prop tips, I'd suggest these above are India White, 

These look white for comparison

20_Squadron_RAF_pilots_with_Japanese_Tro

This is a. Mk.IV with 20sq

qNo_20_Sqn_RAF_sergeant_with_rockets_Burm

So both are possible Simon.... Though I'm sure you really want to mix some paint ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

welcome aboard.......again.....I think I've lost track what number this build is (ok just re-read first post, #4?), but you do look to be having lots of fun and that's all that matters. 

I have seven on the go in this Group Build and I am having fun.

7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

This is only the second Hurricane in the build, to be honest I wasn't sure if they operated in the Far East, I had thought they were Europe/Nth Africa only....plus Russia.

If I can find a Vokes filter, there'll be another.

6 hours ago, stever219 said:

5 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Initially, white was used,  was found to be too bright, and "India White" was developed.  

Both are seen in photos

So both are possible Simon. Though I'm sure you really want to mix some paint ;)

Thanks Troy, I love mixing paint...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Both are seen in photos

hurricane.jpg&key=ce501eb5f0438fe048c06f

Given the stripes are a darker tone than the prop tips, I'd suggest these above are India White, 

These look white for comparison

20_Squadron_RAF_pilots_with_Japanese_Tro

This is a. Mk.IV with 20sq

qNo_20_Sqn_RAF_sergeant_with_rockets_Burm

So both are possible Simon.... Though I'm sure you really want to mix some paint ;)

Thanks Troy: I don’t recall ever having seen India White recognition stripes before (OK, my memory’s shot anyway, but stuff like this tends to stick usually😉).

On 10/22/2018 at 11:48 AM, CedB said:

Another! And a Hurricane which I hope to add more of to my ceiling in the near future.

I'm in :popcorn: 

Welcome aboard Ced.

There's some scraping to do here:

20181022_202155

The cockpit is done:

20181022_203315

20181022_203323

The wing to fuselage fit isn't great, I foresee some scraping and sanding...

20181023_163826

20181023_163834

Thanks for looking.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Beard said:

The wing to fuselage fit isn't great, I foresee some scraping and sanding...

20181023_163826

20181023_163834

Thanks for looking.

Ah, now there's an opportunity for some skill improvement! :whistle:

10 hours ago, trickyrich said:

you're making quick progress with this one, though the fit could be better I see. A bit of prep work before gluing the wing on will sort most of that out.

I hope that amount of plastic I've shaved, filed and sanded from the fuselage and lower wing will sort it out.

10 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Ah, now there's an opportunity for some skill improvement! :whistle:

And filler...

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Good work on the 'pit Simon and good luck getting the wing to fit… looks pretty horrid in those shots :( 

Thanks Ced. It's nothing a large file, a scraper, some coarse wet & dry and some filler can't cure.

A bit of scraping and filing later...

2018-10-24_10-19-02

Once the glue is set I'll crack open the filler.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 7

Clamps removed and voilá, a Hurricane appears:

20181024_200705

I think the seams have been dealt with:

20181024_201012

Next step is the attach the radiator (I'm using a Freightdog one):

20181024_201103

Then glue the rocket rails on and painting can start.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 7

18 hours ago, CedB said:

Wow, you certainly clamped that seam out of existence - good job Simon! :) 

Not just clamped but filled and sanded out of existence.

First coat of Humbrol 29 on:

2018-10-25_05-58-58

Thanks for looking.

• Like 3

This build is looking excellent. Here's me showing my ignorance but what is the raised line back from the forward edge of the tail fin? (I think it started off as an engraved line on the kit). Is this something peculiar to MkIV's? Thanks. Mike

Edited by Ventora3300

36 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

This build is looking excellent. Here's me showing my ignorance but what is the raised line back from the forward edge of the tail fin? (I think it started off as an engraved line on the kit). Is this something peculiar to MkIV's? Thanks. Mike

Thanks Mike.

The raised bit on the fin is some stretched sprue glued in the engraved line - it should be raised, like this:

tail.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Beard said:

Thanks Mike.

The raised bit on the fin is some stretched sprue glued in the engraved line - it should be raised, like this:

tail.jpg

Aha! Some sort of construction detail under the skin of the fin. It all looks like fabric covered metal frame. Thanks, Beard. All the best. Mike

Hi Simon

IIRC it was 5:1 white/blue mix,  but I've not seen a colour pic.  I'd suggest it too blue though, but that maybe lighting and the contrast against the masking tape.

The IIRC means I don't have time to search up the mix at the mo... Sorry

HTH

T

Ps in the photo i posted above, the India White looks lighter than the roundel centres.

• Thanks 1