Boeing C 75 (model 307) - Maquette 1/72

JWM

So I glued fuselage and later wings. It do require some putty to get shapes. 

45867012311_f3ae8b28e9_b.jpg45867014271_f19c9b9d0d_b.jpg

44953806035_60544e9aaf_b.jpg

Special attention must be put to fairing betwing wing and fuselage. I used Tamiya tape to protect wing surface, applied Tamiya grey putty and when puttu was still wet removed tapes

44953797205_01ba336be4_b.jpg

45867016201_a8d9bb723b_b.jpg

Another unpleasent finding was with tailplane. The general shape is like that of early B17 (B, C&D), however it is larger.

44953799445_a0ae558820_b.jpg

I have the spare tailpane from Academy B17 kit. In Maquette kit the tailplane is from B-17E. Such tail was installed in 1944 on some Boeings 307/C-75.  Since I want to do her in livery of about 1942 I have to modify tailplane of Academy.

I started this way

44953801865_7f61d44d3f_b.jpg

To be continue

Cheers

J-W

• Like 7

The change in the tailplanes to match the B-17E is further evidence that the Model 307 and the B-17 are intertwined and that this is completely appropriate for this group build.

To echo Thom's comment, I'm amazed at the scope of tweaks needed and how well you are beating them into submission. I confess I was a wee bit concerned at the start but now I can't wait to see what you do with it.

• Like 1

Many thanks!

I have some still some doubts if the tailplanse should be really bigger in span then those of Academy kit of early B 17. This is based on the single drawings, not the best one. However  tailplanes of early 307  are for sure different than those of B 17C/Din some way. In B17 the control surface goes to the end, whereas in 307 the end of tailplans is not movable, perhaps better you can see below what I mean: 19710507%20Falcon%2071107a%20Boeing%2030

Moreover, there are drop-like fairings on tops and bottoms which are not present in early B17. So therefore I belive in some extend to this drawings...And I follow it

Regards

J-W

• Like 2

Thanks!

8 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Sanding! The bane of us all, mostly worth it in the end!😉

Indeed, for final result it is perhaps the most important if the kit is of that quality... I am using paper 600 waterproof and wet sanding. BTW - there is a huge difference between efficiency of wet and dry sanding,,,

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2

I made tailplane using B 17 B/C parts (Academy) but extended by ~1 cm each and with difference in contol surfaces (as on photos and drawings). 

I made astro dome (visible on photos of all former TWA machines like Nvajao, Apach, Comanch... I made cabin air inlet since the provided in model was too flat. I  put in postion rudder and small windows on fuselage. Still some sanding needed...

44126242340_12c0819745_b.jpg

32071604018_0ab2f0ca99_b.jpg

32071606618_22765d4dfa_b.jpg

The engines are glued with propes...

To be continued

Cheers

J-W

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

That plane looks like something from a vintage cartoon. V-P

Indeed!  - like here (not a cartoon, but drawing) 

StratolinerAd.jpg

Cheers

J-W

• Like 4

Unpleasent next finding of yesterday evening. The front windscreen/canopy does not  fit well - it is a bit (~2mm?) too narrow at the end. So a scratch build canopy have to be done instead. 

Interesting, that there are big differencies among only 10 produced Model 307 in engine detail. The Pan-Am machines have diffferent shapes and places of air intakes and cooler than the TWA machines. Here is the close-up from side of ex-TWA machine 

KC0453-1944.07.01_Page_03.jpg

Just please compare photos in this link

http://www.dieselpunks.org/profiles/blogs/s-a-m-66-the-stratoliner

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2

Hi

This is this misfit of canopy size:

45941851692_843d09c9ac_b.jpg

Next to be done from scratch...

Some shots after sanding:

45991291071_4df315c4ce_b.jpg

45991292401_4fbdfba345_b.jpg

Bottom side with fairings of mechanism of flaps already in places:

45266876944_1de8927892_b.jpg

Next - the cooler and air intakes.

The oil coolers had shape of cylinders, I cut the four pieces of sprue

45991292931_bfb9656a37_b.jpg

I drilled on both side and put inside a piece of metal net

The Air intakes on top of each engine  I made from spare C-47 (Italeri). Not exactly 1:1 but each one was cut into two pieces and a bit differntly shaped

Here is shot showing all those on positions. Of course some more filler and  further sanding on some areas is needed...

45991293531_ae4c8d0dc6_b.jpg

To be continued

Regards

J-W

• Like 7

I have not seen it in any of the C-75 reference pics you've included in this thread (mostly because of the angle of the photos) but I assume the C-75 had the same little access hatch in the nose as the civilian Stratoliner.

Looks like it must go straight into back of instrument panel, but it is a neat little feature you won't want to miss.

Boeing-307-Stratoliner-Udvar-Hazy-2841.j

-

Boeing-307-Stratoliner-Udvar-Hazy-2842.j

-

Boeing-307-Stratoliner-Udvar-Hazy-2840.j

-

Boeing-307-Stratoliner-Udvar-Hazy-2490.j

Hope these help.

Steve

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TonyW said:

Very nice work so far.

Would solid glazing work? Some of the 1.144 scale airliner models I've seen, with decals for glazing, look quite spectacular. 

Thank you but certainly not. In 1/72 it is beyond my thinking on what model should look like. ,,, Maybe in 1/44 airliners it is acceptable...

1 hour ago, Ol' Scrapiron said:

I have not seen it in any of the C-75 reference pics you've included in this thread (mostly because of the angle of the photos) but I assume the C-75 had the same little access hatch in the nose as the civilian Stratoliner.

Looks like it must go straight into back of instrument panel, but it is a neat little feature you won't want to miss.

Thank you, I have not noticed this hatch, I will do it from decal, just to show some boredering lines. On photos below you may see that it is hatch to cargo compartment below floor. 

The PAA machine form museum has different engines. All photos of C-75 impossed from TWA show different configuration of oil coolers and air intakes...

7204082888_6b5778185f_b.jpg

7204082768_9d1ed74a80_b.jpg

c75-3.jpg

NASM-NASM-1A14216.jpg?itok=Yg57c3sA

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

A great looking build Jersey, I'm enjoying watching this, I want one now, maybe in 1/144 though. :)

Steve.

Many thanks! There is a more nice model in 1/144 of Model 307/C75

http://www.anigrand.com/AA4075_C-75.htm

Regards

J-W

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

P.S.

A shot from later period of war

c75-5.jpg

And interesting take from bottom (with two other hatches visible?):

c75-2.jpg

On above the exhaust pipes positions (which also change from one to another) are seen as well as other bottom details - like shorter span of flaps than on my drawings...

Cheers

J-W

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, JWM said:

On photos below you may see that it is hatch to cargo compartment below floor. 

The PAA machine form museum has different engines. All photos of C-75 impossed from TWA show different configuration of oil coolers and air intakes...\

Actually, I was referring to the small circular hatch in the very tip of the nose. A cool little detail often overlooked... and in one of your shots it actually looks more prominent than the flush nose on 307 example.

As far as the engines on the Smithsonian bird, this is a bird they rebuilt here in Seattle and flew across the country to get her to Virginia. I would guess the engines might not be entirely period-accurate if they had something super similar available. By the way, in 2003 the NASM example took a little swim here in Elliot Bay (salt water) after they had it restored... they had to dry it out and re-restore it before it could make its final trip east. Here's a link to the Seattle PI article

Seattle PI photo

920x920.jpg

This will make you cringe!!!

Edited by Ol' Scrapiron
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Ol' Scrapiron said:

Actually, I was referring to the small circular hatch in the very tip of the nose. A cool little detail often overlooked... and in one of your shots it actually looks more prominent than the flush nose on 307 example.

Of course I will go to do this. It gives a kind of animal (pet)  nose look .

Salty water does not work ok for alu alloys....

Regards

J-W

• Like 1