Airfix Red Stripe Hampden

On 10/24/2018 at 1:46 PM, Kev The Modeller said:

Lovely build mate :clap: this was the kit that got away, I never did get one even though I put it on my Christmas list a good few years running :weep: 

Thanks very much Kev

It's never too late, I have a spare one....... just saying ;)

cheers Pat

On 10/24/2018 at 2:05 PM, Neil.C said:

Lovely Pat.

Recall getting one as a gift in the early '70's from my dear old Dad.

Still got the box!

Thanks very much Neil, really glad this build brought back such lovely memories

cheers Pat

• Like 1

Hello Pat,

Great rendition and great build from an ooooold mould !

Did I hear someone talking about a28% stall on kits ???

Congrats ! very good Hampden here! And it's finished !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 9:02 PM, BIG X said:

I keep coming back for another look at this - it really is rather a spectacular finish to such an old kit Pat :goodjob:

Hi mate

Thanks for all your encouragement during the Group Build. 

I'm sure it was your posts that made a big difference with lots of us getting our builds finished.

Cheers Pat

• 1 year later...

Very nice!  That is my absolute favorite British bomber. Love it since my childhood.  But at that time my pocket money was too less to buy it. Anybody knows if there is one in 1/48?

Cheers

Andy 

On 10/21/2018 at 6:23 PM, bristol boy said:

I do like a Hampden, one of the first bigger Airfix models i ever built, yours is a cracker. Seriously thinking of going to Cosford Restoration week to see the real thing in November. There’s a 1/48 Sanger vac on ebay at the mo for £179! They clearly don’t realise Sanger still sell them for £38!😂

Stay well clear of the Sanger Hampden , this is the old Contrail kit , possibly one of the worst vac kits ever produced , i know i built one years ago.

Whats wrong with it i hear you ask ? Well for starters the cowlings on the wings are moulded facing outwards , when you attach the wings to the fuselage you will find one wing will be higher than the other when viewed from the front , The white metal parts are laughable , the decals unusable ,

the list goes on , If you really want to know how bad the kit is i suggest reading Scale Aircraft Modelling volume 16 number 1 1993 poor old Jim Howard really had his work cut out with this one although to be fair he did get there in the end ( Just ).

As for the clown asking £ 179.00 for this heap of crap its not worth 79p  😬

13 minutes ago, Andy Dyck said:

Very nice!  That is my absolute favorite British bomber. Love it since my childhood.  But at that time my pocket money was too less to buy it. Anybody knows if there is one in 1/48?

Cheers

Andy 

FM produced a 1.48th kit although i suspect this is based on the Contrail vac kit described here .

I have one and like the FM Halifax its not an easy ride , none of the cockpit parts fit at all however the kit has some nice resin engines and wheels etc

with work it can be made into a nice model.

• Thanks 1

On 8/8/2020 at 10:33 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi @PLC1966

Having stumbled back into this thread recently, did you ever get round to building yours ?

Cheers Pat

Hello Pat,

Not got there yet.  I am having a bit of a barren spell with the models at the moment mate.  Just can't get myself going. 

Got the Hampden, a 1/48 Tamiya Buffalo, an Eduard 1/48 Spitfire Mk VIII, and a couple of the Arma Hurricanes all on my bench in the next to build line up.  I look at them and I keep thinking of my kits in the open for public view stash and then think of the kits hidden on a high shelf in the garage in the not so open for public view stash and not motivated by any of them at the moment.

Very odd.  WIll get there though !!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...