Airfix Red Stripe Hampden

This kit has been with me for so long I honestly can't remember when I bought it. The Build came about because I was bullied into it by @stevej60 . Actually I am really glad he did as it came out much better than I thought.

The kit was built as part of the amazingly successful Classic Airfix Group Build here on BM.

Moulded in the classic black plastic, the fit was much better than I feared.

Work in progress below, I hope you like it, let me know what you think.

IMG_4079

IMG_4080

IMG_4081

IMG_4083

IMG_4084

cheers Pat

• Like 55

I do like a Hampden, one of the first bigger Airfix models i ever built, yours is a cracker. Seriously thinking of going to Cosford Restoration week to see the real thing in November. There’s a 1/48 Sanger vac on ebay at the mo for £179! They clearly don’t realise Sanger still sell them for £38!😂

• Haha 2

On 10/21/2018 at 2:02 PM, IanC said:

Nice build of the old Airfix classic.

It'll look good next to the forthcoming new-tool version...

Ian

Thanks Ian

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Airfix re-tooled it, especially now they have one being restored as a reference.

cheers Pat

On 10/21/2018 at 6:23 PM, bristol boy said:

I do like a Hampden, one of the first bigger Airfix models i ever built, yours is a cracker. Seriously thinking of going to Cosford Restoration week to see the real thing in November. There’s a 1/48 Sanger vac on ebay at the mo for £179! They clearly don’t realise Sanger still sell them for £38!😂

Thanks mate

A 1/48 scale vacform version of the Hampden, I can only imagine how long that would take to build !

Anyone ever built one ?

cheers Pat

On 10/22/2018 at 6:43 PM, Michael51 said:

It looks great and brings back fond memories of long-ago builds.

Fine work indeed,

Michael

Hi Michael

Thanks very much, yes its a real blast from the past.

cheers Pat

• Like 1

On 10/22/2018 at 7:33 PM, Buzby061 said:

Lovely. Pure nostalgia. 

Pete

Thanks very much Pete

I tried not to make it too authentic, like traditional gluey fingerprints on the clear parts, my trademark as a nipper  ! ;)

cheers Pat

• Like 1

On 10/22/2018 at 10:40 PM, Eric Mc said:

It's 1968 all over again.

8 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

I have a few of these in various boxings in my stash. I built one as a ten year old back in 1968. hence my comment above.

Hi Eric

Yes it definitely brings back memories of riding back from the shops as fast as you could, so you could build most if not all of it that weekend. 

I have since found 2 others in different boxes since building this one, so I must make a concerted effort to find new homes for them, so other people can experience time travel !

cheers Pat