F-84G African Thunderjet

Hello All

When hostilities broke out in northen Angola in 1961, the word was out -  "...To Angola, Quickly and in Force...".

Portugal was determined to maintain the Empire at all cost using all the tools it had...and the F-84G thunderjet was one of those tools.

By the end of the fifties the Thunderjet was already obselete ,and was prepared to be phased-out of the Portuguese Air Force,but was called for one last mission, Defend our Proviencies in Africa.

After Portugal was able to buy brand new J35 engines to give them new live ,the first 12 Thunderjets were prepared and sent to Air Base 9 (BA9) Luanda, Angola where they formed 93rd Squadron "Magníficos" under the leadership of Major Costa Gomes.

Their primary mission were CAP´s, Air support to ground forces and protect citys and towns from guerrilas threats. Because of the UN arms embargo (The guerrilas had unlimited acess to armament from the Soviet Union,China,Cuba and most eastern Europe countries...thank you UN) that prevented Portugal to buy new equipment, these jets had to endure the 13 year long war but atrittion was high due to accidents and structural fadigue ,also because of this many had their tip tanks replaced with surplus T-33´s ones. In all 25 of these jet served in Africa and the last one to retire was "5203" on October 14,1975 to be the last operational F-84G of the world.

Enough of History and on to the photos , Here is my African Thunderjet built from the beautifull Tamiya kit, Used the Eduard´s zoom set and painted with Alclads metalizers. Tip tanks came from Hasegawa T-33 kit e decals from various sources.

Enjoy and best regards.

FBorges.

IMG-20181020-152319.jpg

IMG-20181020-152429.jpg

IMG-20181020-152749.jpg

IMG-20181020-152723.jpg

IMG-20181020-153619.jpg

IMG-20181020-154112.jpg

IMG-20180808-195351.jpg

IMG-20180808-195408.jpg

IMG-20180808-195424.jpg

IMG-20180808-195503.jpg

IMG-20180808-195601.jpg

IMG-20180808-195635.jpg

IMG-20180808-195713.jpg

FAP-065-F-84-G-5130.jpg

AB4-Base-1968.jpg

SDC10100.jpg

josetuna-001.jpg

Edited by Borgao
  • Like 56

On 10/21/2018 at 10:18 AM, stevehnz said:

Lovely Thunderjet indeed. I had no knowledge of their use in Angola, though it makes sense if I'd thought about it, does your book have an English version, I'd love to read more?

Steve.

Hello steve.

Thank you for your comment

It´s not a book but an article from the Portuguese Air Force magazine "Mais Alto" (Higher) and i am a subscriter.

Recently two lovely books came out about the African wars.

One is about the history of the Helicopter Squadrons and the other is called "The Air Force at the end of the Empire", both tell the history and storys of the air force in the Colonial Wars.

i dont know if they will be translated to english,.... but if they do dont miss....

regards

FB

2.jpg

• Thanks 2

GREAT Story and model FB !

I have a particular interest in Post-War Colonial conflicts and have studied some aspects of the FAP involvement in Africa but mainly to help with some forthcoming G-91R3/4 Gina builds.....This story was also very interesting and I really like looking at those atmospheric shots from the period.

Thanks for sharing and for producing such a nice and well finished model in unusual markings

Well Done, Sir !

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tiger331 said:

GREAT Story and model FB !

I have a particular interest in Post-War Colonial conflicts and have studied some aspects of the FAP involvement in Africa but mainly to help with some forthcoming G-91R3/4 Gina builds.....This story was also very interesting and I really like looking at those atmospheric shots from the period.

Thanks for sharing and for producing such a nice and well finished model in unusual markings

Well Done, Sir !

Hello Tiger

thanks for your comment

Here are great photos from FAP in Africa..

Enjoy😊

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPPYibjKT9C6tYCvbMVJD55zEjRvhkGv4IcGgnYdKA6IHRJdq7LDAY5MxvUuJOumQ?key=emNkYllqVVZHTDluSHAxYnhwLUpWU09xdUtoV1ln

Regards

FBorges

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Hello Borgao,

Lovely build of subject from a largely ignored, but significant, conflict  in 20th century! Recently I got into more depth about the Portuguese colonial wars - even started with the literal "bible" of the conflicts - "Portugal´s guerilla wars in Africa" from Al J. Venter. 🙂  

spacer.png

Being more an AFV modeller , I have maybe a silly question. Do you have any suggestions as to 1/48 decals for the jets used in the conflict? Google search for 1/48 decals for the G.91 or F-84 in a proper colonial markings showed zero results....

Thank you and regards,

Roman

Edited by morini456
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2019 at 6:31 PM, morini456 said:

Hello Borgao,

Lovely build of subject from a largely ignored, but significant, conflict  in 20th century! Recently I got into more depth about the Portuguese colonial wars - even started with the literal "bible" of the conflicts - "Portugal´s guerilla wars in Africa" from Al J. Venter. 🙂  

spacer.png

Being more an AFV modeller , I have maybe a silly question. Do you have any suggestions as to 1/48 decals for the jets used in the conflict? Google search for 1/48 decals for the G.91 or F-84 in a proper colonial markings showed zero results....

Thank you and regards,

Roman

Hello Roman.

Sorry for the late response.

It is dificult to find decals of the portuguese AF in africa, because most are out of production or the companys that produce them are out of business.

You can try this shop. it still has some from SantaCruz Decals:

https://www.marsigor.pt/product-category/decalques/santa-cruz-modelismo/

Be careful because many are 1/72

regards

FBorges

• Like 1