AW Whitley MkV ready for ops

Dear Friends

Here is the Airfix 1/72 Whitley MkV.  Thank you Airfix for updating this classic British aircraft!  Airfix are quite innovative in their kit engineering, which can be a mixed blessing as many of you will know.  However, they do their best to be true to the original, and I love their wing spars going through the fuselage.  The kit has Eduard photo etch, quickboost resin exhausts and Xtradecal decals to represent the aircraft of 58 Squadron based at Linton on Ouse in 1940.  I love a story from the time of a leaflet dropping Whitley getting lost in I think in 1939 and landing in a field in Germany.  The crew went to ask locals where they were and a helpful boy scout explained they were in Germany and which direction to fly in to get to France.  I believe the take off was somewhat hurried!  Later the local Pastor had to intervene to stop the Gestapo throwing the boy into one of their jails.

hsuVvaw.jpg

X53k10p.jpg

UmlDraQ.jpg

Hope you like it?

Andrew

• Like 55

That look's a beauty Andrew.great work,love the Whitley some arduous missions were carried out by these aircraft in the early year'of the war

alway's overshadowed by the heavie's later on.

10 hours ago, stevej60 said:

.. some arduous missions were carried out by these aircraft in the early years of the war

Indeed. And sad that aircrew lives were risked so that reams of toilet paper could be deposited on the Third Reich!

Fabulous model Andrew and very well photographed.

Gorgeous build and photo's to bring this old bomber to life. Totally, agree, Airfix should be thanked for giving us this kit. I found it to go together very well although the front turret fairing needs a bit of sanding to get a flush fit. 

Dear Fellow Modellers

Thanks for your appreciation!  I big part of my motivation is a love of history, hence my desire to put the aircraft into a semi-realistic scene.  I do recommend 'and some fell on stoney ground' by Leslie Mann, a tail gunner in a Whitley shot down in June 1941.  He felt guilty relief when he was shot down and could say to himself 'no more ops'!

Andrew

• Like 1