Help with Dakota Mk.III KG508

rudnei

Dear fellow modellers,

I am researching about this particular Dakota, which crashed near Natal, in Brazil, while on a ferry flight, on 15 April 1944.

I already know that KG508 was part of a squadron of No. 113 Wing RAF (Transport Command), as well as the names of the crew members (two RAF VR and one RAAF), all KIFA and buried at Alecrim cemetery (with CWGC headstones at their tombs), but would like to know the particular squadron the aircraft belonged to. 

A photograph would be asking too much, but...

Best regards and many thanks for any help on this request.

Cheers

Rudnei

Judging by the location,....... isn`t it possible that they were a Ferry Command crew taking a brand new Dakota from the USA to the Middle East via the route staging through Brazil to Africa?

Cheers

Tony

On 10/20/2018 at 7:40 PM, Seahawk said:

Air Britain serial book just says 113 Wg.

My 1984 edition of the Air Britain tome doesn't show this but has it with 45 group.

This may be 45 (Atlantic Transport) Group ,later just 45 (Transport) Group based at Dorval.but I don't know for sure.

Your Dak was delivered to RAF Nassau on 9/4/44. This was two airfields,Windsor Field for the ferry traffic and Oakes field for the OTU.

@tonyot I would say is correct about it being a ferry crew.

Hopefully a wee bit of help.

EDIT.

Nearest photo I could find is KG496 in Italy. 

I'll leave it to others to advise as to whether '508 would be in same scheme.

32d66e24-4118-4568-8e8f-a09dfba1528b.jpg

Edited by Scimitar
Photo added.

Mine's the 1990 edition but the 2 are not far apart.  Elsewhere in the Air Britain forest, RAF Flying Training And Support Units says of 113 Wing:

"HQ South Atlantic Wing opened 15/2/43 at Nassau, Bahamas, in No 45 Group to control ferrying operations over the South Atlantic: 11/3/43 became No 113 (Transport) Wing [or No 113 (South Atlantic) Wing?]: redesignated No 88 Terminal Staging Post 3/7/45."

So Tony spot-on with the ferrying idea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/23/2018 at 9:11 PM, rudnei said:

Many thanks to all who replied so far. I gather KG496 is painted in Dk Earth/Middle Stone/Medium Sea Grey?

It would have been delivered wearing US Olive Drab and Neutral Grey,...... with RAF markings and serial,....... only a comparatively small number of RAF Dakota`s were re painted in camouflage and most retained the US scheme.

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 1

Just one point: had it reached the Middle East and been repainted, it would have had Azure Blue underneath rather than Medium Sea Grey.  However it is worth a wonder whether a disruptive pattern of Middle Stone would simply have been applied over the OD/NG scheme - OD was officially considered acceptable as an alternative to Dark Earth but ...     I agree that this aircraft would not have been in this scheme when it crashed.

OK, another point.  The photo shows two Dakotas in mirror-image patterns long after such had been abandoned on production lines.

And another.  The two aircraft have their serials in slightly different positions.  Which suggests a complete repaint?

On 10/25/2018 at 5:28 PM, Graham Boak said:

Just one point: had it reached the Middle East and been repainted, it would have had Azure Blue underneath rather than Medium Sea Grey.  However it is worth a wonder whether a disruptive pattern of Middle Stone would simply have been applied over the OD/NG scheme - OD was officially considered acceptable as an alternative to Dark Earth but ...     I agree that this aircraft would not have been in this scheme when it crashed.

OK, another point.  The photo shows two Dakotas in mirror-image patterns long after such had been abandoned on production lines.

And another.  The two aircraft have their serials in slightly different positions.  Which suggests a complete repaint?

Some of the earlier Dakota`s from 267 Sqn had Mid Stone applied but later ones had Dark Earth/Dark Green instead which was more suitable for Italy, the Balkan`s and later still Burma,...... in the photo the Dak`s seem to be wearing both schemes,..... hence the mirror image of dark and light colours in this B&W photo.

Cheers

Tony

23 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

The third one might be in DG/DE but the first two show the same tones but in mirror image.  A change of colour schemes would not produce a mirror image but the same pattern in different tones.

I know Graham,.... I meant the third aircraft along to be fair. 

• 2 weeks later...