IMGUR - PROBLEM SOLVED.

Anyone else in the UK having trouble accessing IMGUR?

I've been trying all day and I just get 'the connection has timed out' message.

I've used my saved link, bookmark, favourites list and just done a straight search using several browsers and all fail.

Hopefully their site is down and it's not my poxy laptop again.

Thanks,

Badder

Edited by Badder

Just now, bhouse said:

Sorry to say this, Badder old bean, but it's working fine for me...

Hmmmm. Thanks Brian. I suspect a recent update may have stymied me then. If it's not one thing it's another!

Rearguards,

Badder

It could be related to a server, or group of servers.  Everyone else is fine, but you and all the rest of the people logged into that one/cluster is outta luck.  Have you got a VPN that you could test to see whether you've been blocked for some reason, or a mobile you could use on 4G to test if it's your IP that's blocked?

17 hours ago, Mike said:

It could be related to a server, or group of servers.  Everyone else is fine, but you and all the rest of the people logged into that one/cluster is outta luck.  Have you got a VPN that you could test to see whether you've been blocked for some reason, or a mobile you could use on 4G to test if it's your IP that's blocked?

No, I don't have a VPN.

I'm pretty sure the problem is at my end. I can't access Imgur using IE, Firefox, or Chrome (I've only just installed Chrome - again - to see if that would get around any problem on my laptop)

I've tried all that ipconfig nonsense, and have followed various 'how to' instructions on the net, and none of that has helped either.

It is just that one site I can't get to. I get 'Connection timed out' or similar messages depending on the browser. I think there must be a really simple 'cure' but what that is, I haven't a clue. I'm a luddite when it comes to all this stuff. Would resetting my laptop to its orignal 'condition' be the answer?

The prospect of having to join another hosting site and upload approx 1750 images (stored on a memory stick) and then replace all the WIP and RFI photos here is not one that fills me with glee.

HEEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPP!!!!!!

Badder

Edited by Badder

Hi Dennis,

I will have a look when I'm in the mood! 😉🤤

Back to the problem in hand, I tried clicking on one of the photos in my WIP for 'Pit Stop', thinking at least that would allow me to view the image on IMGUR, but it won't even let me do that. Again I get Timed out.

This problem is taking up my entire weekend trying to sort out.

Badder

55 minutes ago, Badder said:

Back to the problem in hand, I tried clicking on one of the photos in my WIP for 'Pit Stop', thinking at least that would allow me to view the image on IMGUR, but it won't even let me do that. Again I get Timed out.

Badder

I don't use Imgur (I have my own web hosting) but I've just clicked one of your pics and got into Imgur and signed up, logged in and viewed my account, so I'm guessing the problem is either (like Mike said) related to the route you're logging in from OR a problem on your own PC/Laptop.

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear 😞

Kev

1 hour ago, Badder said:

I've just been to your thread and looked at the pics of your Sherman.  So for me, they work, and I'm pretty sure it's the same for everyone else too.  BM serves all the photos via what's known as an image proxy, which ensures that all the content comes from a secure location, via SSL, which shows up by the https:// front end to your URL.  Could your browser/PC be having problems processing proxies?  I've no idea how you'd check that, but I were sat at your machine and router, I'd go through all the settings and check every mention of "proxy" to see whether that could be what's stopping it.  This has been done the same way since we moved over to a fully secure SSL serving of our data quite a while back, so maybe there's been an update to your operating system (OS), or browser that has enforced stricter handling of proxies? :hmmm: I'm no expert on proxies, so don't ask me to elucidate any further, cos I'll just go :blink:

When I click on one of your photos, I get the photo served (via proxy) from BM.  If I copy and paste the URL into a browser, knock off the bit with the proxy info in front, I can access the pic directly on IMGUR, a la this:

hdJ70Y2.jpg&key=c699b8bc4f93e2128e537e02

https://i.imgur.com/hdJ70Y2.jpg&key=c699b8bc4f93e2128e537e0213c90b4c1967606c5bcdbea52510520cb561c7ce

Not sure if that helps, but those are my ruminations on the subject.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im sorry you’re having so many issues with imgur @Badder. I was just trying to inject something funny with my post. In a poor attempt to try and get your mind off of it and cheer you up. If it was in poor taste i will remove it. 

Dennis

Don't be silly Dennis,

It's fine. I will have a look when, IF,  I get this problem sorted. Spent hours and hours on it now and determined to figure it out

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Hi @Badder, I've just done the same as modelman so regrettably the problems your end. I certainly wouldn't run a factory reset. You'll lose everything on your pc. I had something similar a while ago with one of my online banks. I resolved this by running CC cleaner. I don't know if you are familiar with the programme but it clears a lot of unwanted crud from your system. Maybe worth a try. :shrug: Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mike said:

When I click on one of your photos, I get the photo served (via proxy) from BM.  If I copy and paste the URL into a browser, knock off the bit with the proxy info in front, I can access the pic directly on IMGUR, a la this:

Hi .Mike,

Thanks for your attempts at helping! I've tried all kinds of ways to get to imgur.

1. By clicking on my photos on BM it won't connect me to Imgur. I get timed out.

2. By copying and pasting URL's in search.... same result.

3. Searching with other browsers... same result.

4. DNS flush... same result.

5 Restarting laptop, router etc... same result.

6. Checking hosts aren't being blocked.

And all kinds of other things.

The ONLY way I've even been able to SEE the Imgur home page was to use a free proxy and that got me to the page and allowed me to log in, but I could do nothing else. I think it said my JavaScript wasn't enabled. But it is.

Rearguards,

Badder

T

16 minutes ago, bhouse said:

Are your links taking you to http: or https:?

I've tried all ways Brian. Even 'wrong' ways. Whatever, no connection. I will try the wife's laptop when she gets back. I suspect I'll be able to get in on that. Would you know if there'd be any way I can 'save' her 'access' to the site on a USB and then transfer that to my laptop and get it to work that way? I suspect not. Must be something on my laptop.

Rearguards

Badder

29 minutes ago, Badder said:

The ONLY way I've even been able to SEE the Imgur home page was to use a free proxy and that got me to the page and allowed me to log in, but I could do nothing else. I think it said my JavaScript wasn't enabled. But it is.

Have you been through the process of disabling all your browser Add-Ins and then reinstating them one-by-one until it fails again?  It's beginning to sound like either your PC/router is blocking IMGUR, or IMGUR is blocking you.  You'll find some useful things in this thread in the FAQ section.

BTW - as long as you and your wife's laptops are on the same router, to all intents and purposes, IMGUR will see you as the same IP address, so if she gets in, you'll be fairly certain it isn't them blocking you, so start looking at the you-blocking-you route.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chaps, I got straight to the Imgur website using the wife's laptop. So, it sounds like it's definitely my laptop. I have searched for all the things where my settings might have 'blocked' me, but none show up.

I've tried disabling browser add-ons on mine, but as I only had one, McAffee something or other.  it wasn't a long process. Made no difference.

Any more ideas?

Cheers,

Badder