Airfix Fortress III , RAF I00 Grp , No223 Squadron- Completed

DJJunis

Morning All,

Well here's my start.  Didn't feel the need to add a picture of the kit since Jobba already took care of that for his build.

The kits' been washed. Didn't use to do this all the time but since switching to acrylics it's mandatory.

Was reviewing my references and noticed a couple of things that are missing from the kit. So I will be attempting to replicate them.

For example the some aerials for the Loran, Carpet III and possibly the Piperack systems. Will also build something replicating the Jostle IV for

the port bombay. The instructions say the front radome is painted over but my reference states it is off white with tape or filler over the joints. We'll go

with the reference unless something else to the contrary arises. Lastly it seems per my references that all the guns will have flash suppression added.

May also add other bits here and there as they come to light.

I am also using the Eduard mask and seat belts. 

Looking forward to seeing how the Airfix B-17 compares with the Revell kit. 

All the Best!

Don

• Like 3

Hi All,

I have had a chance to get the flight deck done.

Added a better looking set of throttles...not perfect but better than the blob provided.

I also added the seat cushions and seat belts. 

Any comments would be appreciated.

All the Best!

Don

3JNwfVQ.jpg

gzknCoW.jpg

emLzgfk.jpg

All the Best!

Don

• Like 8

Good Day All,

Made more progress the last few days with the bombay. Scratchbuilt the Jostle IV transmitter and mounted in

the port side of the bombay. Next will be the aft portion of the interior. I also showed in mated to the flight deck but it is not cemented.

Quite a bit of cleaned up of mold parting lines needed to be done. No big deal just time consuming.

Enjoy the pics and as always any comments are appreciated.

0gnhYch.jpg

uyJ8pFx.jpg

g4aQxXJ.jpg

O58C5fT.jpg

8KVbw2w.jpg

zX4UAkn.jpg

dDHu2My.jpg

ZrIV2CI.jpg

• Like 7

Thom,

It is but I definitely will not cement the flight deck to the bombay section. I have come to realize over several recent Airfix kits that dry fitting is essential before

committing to cement. In this case it's best to just cement each section separately. I have also started on the fuselage prep. To me that means cementing the window inserts 

at the front as well as the Cheyenne turret. Why you ask! Well they don't fit that great and I like to get the filling done when I can handle the parts easily. Plus rescribing

the panel lines is a bit easier. 

All the Best!

Don

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jabba said:

Seems to be coming together rather well. I will probably follow your lead in how you are getting the parts into the fuselage.

It is actually I have to admit.

No problem Jabba....I have the aft section done so all that's left is the forward section. Once that's done and the sections weathered it will be time for putting it all together.

I have been dry fitting as I have been going along using the fuselage as a sort of fixture as the bulkheads set. I did this with the Revell kit also. I'll keep you up to date

on how it's going.

All the Best!

Don

• Like 1

Good Day All,

Made some more progress. 

As mentioned earlier I strongly suggest not cementing the interior sections together. They will not fit properly. So what I did was dry fit each section in 

separately then aligned it with the next then dry fitted the other fuselage half...as if you were cementing it. this greatly helped with alignment. Once that was done

I started discretely cementing the sections and then put the fuselage halves together to act as a fixture. Time consuming but it assured that everything was in alignment and the fuselage

would come together.

I added the Cheyenne turret and the cheek windows now because they don't fit well and it's easier to make adjustments , fill and sand.

I use super glue for a filler in areas that will be rescribed so you don't really see the filler at all.

Now all I have left is some rescribing and filling of the Cheyenne turret seam top and bottom.

Oh by the way the Cheyenne top should be clear perspex.

Unfortunately Airfix split the turret right down the middle of it. Not sure what I'm going to do about that yet.

Considering I have five of these kits I think I better figure something out. 

In any case enjoy the pics.

All the Best!

Don

0haRa7o.jpg

9b6eA4H.jpg

Looks like the light was passing through the clear cheek area as the paint looks awful in the picture ...doesn't look like that in reality.

G7cLelC.jpg

GAzWSTy.jpg

lDJL2WA.jpg

004kVQN.jpg

8m4N0o3.jpg

AO4IfLF.jpg

MjetzFd.jpg

pPVsLHs.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Jabba said:

A quick question. With which section of the fuselage internal parts did you start? My own personal thinking is with the bomb bay/wing spars section and then go forwards and back from there.

Jabba,

You are correct. That is the least flexible of the sections. I worked my way backwards. Make sure that tail wheel well is really secured. It popped out of position twice while I dry fitted the

other fuselage half. It does not have a good cementing surface. The last section I put in was the front.

Hope this helps!

All the Best!

Don

20 hours ago, DJJunis said:

Jabba,

You are correct. That is the least flexible of the sections. I worked my way backwards. Make sure that tail wheel well is really secured. It popped out of position twice while I dry fitted the

other fuselage half. It does not have a good cementing surface. The last section I put in was the front.

Hope this helps!

All the Best!

Don

Thanks for this. I agree with you in that the rear part is rather flexible, as  have done a few test fits already and it does go up at the most rear end. So some strong glue and a lot of patience maybe required.

2 hours ago, Jabba said:

Thanks for this. I agree with you in that the rear part is rather flexible, as  have done a few test fits already and it does go up at the most rear end. So some strong glue and a lot of patience maybe required.

Anytime. You have the idea on the rear section in hand...it's wiggly one. LOL!

I have the fuselage all together...really please with the seam. One are that you need to watch is the plug for the ball turret...one side has a tendency to lower....I ended up with a bit of filler

around the plug but more on one side. At this point the fuselage only needs a bit of rescribing which got lost during seam clean up...nothing major. Oh I also figured out what I'm doing

with the Cheyenne turret top clear. It's a somewhat tricky fix that is not perfect but better than the kit....I'll have some pics in a couple of days.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DJJunis said:

Anytime. You have the idea on the rear section in hand...it's wiggly one. LOL!

I have the fuselage all together...really please with the seam. One are that you need to watch is the plug for the ball turret...one side has a tendency to lower....I ended up with a bit of filler

around the plug but more on one side. At this point the fuselage only needs a bit of rescribing which got lost during seam clean up...nothing major. Oh I also figured out what I'm doing

with the Cheyenne turret top clear. It's a somewhat tricky fix that is not perfect but better than the kit....I'll have some pics in a couple of days.

I already have the plug fitted and noted that it is a little lower than the fuselage around it. As you say small amount of filler will cure this, just a little disappointing hat it has occurred.

• Like 1

Good Day All,

Well here's another update. Took care of the Cheyenne turret. A portion of the roof of the turret should be clear. Not sure how Airfix missed this. So a fix was done by replacing the portion

of the roof with clear stock . The first thing I did carefully trim the clear parts back to accept the new clear portion. The new replacement piece would be the frame so I trim all the frame away. Next I cut an oversized piece of clear. I used .015" clear. Cemented it to the edge of the trimmed clear portion with Tamiya "Quick-Setting" cement.  It's got a light green cap. This stuff is awesome. Once dried , which was only a couple of minutes I carefully trimmed the excess. Cleaned it up further with some sanding sticks. Once I felt it was as clean as I could get it I coated the whole turret with Pledge, formally Future. Once that was dry I masked the portions with some die cut tamiya tape. The Eduard mask do not provide anything for the roof and they mask need to be round. So I used my punch and die set to get that done....worked perfectly. I thenshot some Vallejo air Aluminum onto see what more clean-up was required. Once that was done I rescribed the panel lines and reshot the aluminum. Even the the aircraft I modeled will be camouflaged the interior is bare aluminum. I think it turned out OK and I have a solution for the other four kits I have that will be natural metal. Oh and gun barrels were cut-off to facilitate painting. Once I put the flashhiders on they would not fit through the turret slots anyway. I also assembled the wings and dry fitted them...great fit. Now onto rescribing the rest of the fuselage and clean up the wings. Well enough jabber here's some pics. Enjoy

All the Best!

Don

u8LY9uS.jpg

uBcm1zO.jpg

fxsR44s.jpg

KTiuzgF.jpg

2gl0Uyr.jpg

fWh34rO.jpg

p737stO.jpg

eUZS5xY.jpg

bZhjoik.jpg

fvu4Q7W.jpg

• Like 8

Jabba,

Thank you .... much appreciated.

At first I thought the rear would just match up with the frame square but that's not the case it is rounded.

So both the front  and rear are rounded. That front is part K14. I did not replace that portion so you will see a line between my new roof and the clear portion on K14 once the tape is off. 

I will replace all of it on the next one. It will mean a little more tricky trimming but it will be one solid clear roof then.  Attached is a pic I found that may help.  The 1/32 and the Monogram model seem to have it correct.

All the Best!

Don

3_lg.jpg

• Like 4