RAF Matra Rocket Pods

Richard E

A question for the armament experts.

When a Matra Rocket Pod is loaded could the launch tubes in the pod's nose still be open (i.e. as they are normally depicted in kit form) or would they always be faired over ? 

Thank you

4 hours ago, Richard E said:

A question for the armament experts.

When a Matra Rocket Pod is loaded could the launch tubes in the pod's nose still be open (i.e. as they are normally depicted in kit form) or would they always be faired over ? 

Thank you

It was entirely dependant on the type of rocket being loaded. The RAF used two types of rocket. High Explosive Anti Tank (HEAT) and Smoke.

If the operational warshot High Explosive Anti Tank (HEAT) Rockets were loaded (a very rare peacetime occurance!) the thin fibreglass heat shield was fitted to the front of the rocket pod. This item was secured to the pod by  being trapped over the nose with a thin metal fairing (with 18 holes) that  visually makes the nose cone look a bit smoother and fatter than the body. The Heat shields job was  to prevent kinetic heating of the explosive HEAT warheads in high speed flight, (it's not a great idea to heat up explosives!) On firing the rockets would punch through the shield.  This shield /fairing was not seen very often in use, but it was common to see it on ground displays or airshows of aircraft with empty pods loaded,  it looked better to the visitors  as it removed the "see through" visual effect of empty rocket tubes. 

By far the most common rocket used  was the smoke head which was used for range practice. This rocket type was in daily use  on squadrons. The head of this rocket was  a sealed ceramic construction  filled with a chemical that turned to smoke on exposure to the air. On impact with the range target the ceramic head would smash releasing the chemical giving a puff of smoke so the range staff could score the pilots accuracy. As there was no problem with kinetic heating with this type of head, the heat shield was not needed so it was never fitted. In fact it was mandatory not to fit the heat shield with smoke rockets as it was quite likely that  the smoke heads would  smash  when punching through the shield.

So most common fit,  no heat shield!

Selwyn

• Like 5

Allowing for Selwyns vastly superior knowledge on bombs, bullets and bangy stuff, I can certainly remember doing the Weekly ammo check in Belize, and the Harriers on Charlie Delta and Foxy Golf dispersals had rockets pods with fairings over the heads 

5 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

Allowing for Selwyns vastly superior knowledge on bombs, bullets and bangy stuff, I can certainly remember doing the Weekly ammo check in Belize, and the Harriers on Charlie Delta and Foxy Golf dispersals had rockets pods with fairings over the heads 

Yes, the HEAT rocket stuff was all ready in Belize  for if and when those nasty Guatemalans  had decided to come visiting!

Selwyn

5 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

Yes, the HEAT rocket stuff was all ready in Belize  for if and when those nasty Guatemalans  had decided to come visiting!

Selwyn

I was ready to defend Rauls Rose Garden had the baddies come...

1 minute ago, PLC1966 said:

I was ready to defend Rauls Rose Garden had the baddies come...

Yes,for such a small place it had such a large garrison!   Adaquate supplies of Myers rum was laid in as well IIRC!

Selwyn

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Fat fingers said:

I would just like to add that on 1 sqd harriers, what ever the load heat sheilds were fitted.

I very much doubt it,  as I said they were not permitted on smoke heads. I have just dug out my Trade training Notes on this to double check this and what I said was correct.

From My experience they were never fitted day to day on 233 OCU,  1 Sqn  4 sqn or 3 Sqn jets in my time at Wittering and Gutersloh.  You are not getting mixed up with the CVR 7 Launchers by any chance?

Selwyn

4 hours ago, Fat fingers said:

I would just like to add that on 1 sqd harriers, what ever the load heat sheilds were fitted.

During my time on the OCU ('71 -'77) we never fitted frangible cones as all we ever fired was smoke.  1Sqdn, on the other hand always fitted the cap as a matter of continuity :-

PcroxGD.jpg

HTH

Dennis

EDIT :- The marque number on the photo is incorrect.  It should be GR.Mk.3 as from 23 January 1974.

DR

Edited by sloegin57
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, sloegin57 said:

During my time on the OCU ('71 -'77) we never fitted frangible cones as all we ever fired was smoke.  1Sqdn, on the other hand always fitted the cap as a matter of continuity :-

PcroxGD.jpg

HTH

Dennis

EDIT :- The marque number on the photo is incorrect.  It should be GR.Mk.3 as from 23 January 1974.

DR

By 1979 they were never fitted for smoke  It was a matter of regulation (probably because they kept smashing the smoke heads!) I never saw a 1 Sqn jet fitted with a shield.

Selwyn