Aston Martin DBR1 1/20 scratchbuilt

Redshift

Hi folks

Another day, another model :) This months exercise in sawdust making is the recreation of the best looking car ever to have been built (you may disagree, but you are wrong*) the Aston Martin DBR1 Le Mans winner from 1956. I remember as a young boy in the 70s being read bedtime stories by my Grandma from a book written in the jingoistic style of the 50s of the exploits of a plucky British driver in a car that was clearly a DBR1 overcoming the dastardly exploits of Baron Otto von Stereotype in a 300SLR and Count Lucio di Spicable in a 250TR, which meant that for me a Le Mans car was an Aston Martin.

Anyway, nostalgia aside, I am attempting to recreate the curves of the car by hand from a block of limewood and will be trying to make wire wheels , also by hand, from plastic pipe and guitar strings (the car will have standard British tuning, none of this foreign rubbish). 

This build was inspired by @albergman's ebony Jaguar, but won't be quite as impressive due to a skills deficit and a simpler choice of wood.

*special exemption for anyone saying Lamborghini Miura

Starting point

44720471754_e0164c8a79_b.jpg

Ignore the rough cut lump of pine, that was just practice with my new chisels

Templates:

44720471784_d8320f9920_b.jpg

Edited by Redshift
Add photos
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, bhouse said:

A promising start. This might seem a daft question but what brand of chisels do you use?

Brian

Its a bag of Rayher chisels from amazon for about a tenner. When I settle on one or two I like I'll go for some expensive ones. These ones arrived as blunt as a broomhandle but took an edge OK, will probably loose it just as fast!

Edited by Redshift
Found the name

You're doing a great job with some iffy tools!

I suggest you take a look at Pfeil gouges when you decide you'd like something a bit more durable. They arrive ready for use and can quickly be restored to a razor sharp edge in use. I use Japanese water stones and a leather strop on mine. Classic Hand Tools are a good source.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aston Martin, Lamboghini Muira and leather strops?

This is just filth. I'll have to report you all to Matron.

Although, if you let me mention the DB4 Zagato I may let you off.

http://www.classicandperformancecar.com/uploads/cms_article/5801_5900/aston-martin-db4gt-zagato-2-vev-sells-for-10million-5842_16541_969X727.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Well well ... isn't this interesting!!    So glad you're going to have a go at this and pleased that I've played a small part in your inspiration.    Having looked (and commented upon) your previous wooden aircraft I predict you'll have no problems with this.    Now, confession time ...  I don't use (or even own) any wood chisels 😜.    I do all my shaping with various power tools of which 95% of those are Dremel-type with a flex-shaft and various bits in the chuck.    Most shaping is actually done with 1/2" diameter sanding drums.   You of course are doing it "properly" and my hat's off to you and maybe you're more experienced in the traditional methods.

Anyway, I'll be watching this with great interest.

Frank

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Redshift said:

plucky British driver in a car that was clearly a DBR1 overcoming the dastardly exploits of Baron Otto von Stereotype in a 300SLR and Count Lucio di Spicable in a 250TR, which meant that for me a Le Mans car was an Aston Martin.

His name wasn't Ian Munro was it? One of my favourite books as a youth & why I agree about the best Le Mans car ever, though I admit to a whole panoply of favourites snapping at its heels.

12 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Although, if you let me mention the DB4 Zagato I may let you off

Very much part of my panoply. :)

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, bhouse said:

You're doing a great job with some iffy tools!

I suggest you take a look at Pfeil gouges when you decide you'd like something a bit more durable. They arrive ready for use and can quickly be restored to a razor sharp edge in use. I use Japanese water stones and a leather strop on mine. Classic Hand Tools are a good source.

Had a look at that website - yikes! They are serious prices! I know you get what you pay for, but that sort of investment will have to wait.

10 hours ago, albergman said:

Well well ... isn't this interesting!!    So glad you're going to have a go at this and pleased that I've played a small part in your inspiration.    Having looked (and commented upon) your previous wooden aircraft I predict you'll have no problems with this.    Now, confession time ...  I don't use (or even own) any wood chisels 😜.    I do all my shaping with various power tools of which 95% of those are Dremel-type with a flex-shaft and various bits in the chuck.    Most shaping is actually done with 1/2" diameter sanding drums.   You of course are doing it "properly" and my hat's off to you and maybe you're more experienced in the traditional methods.

Anyway, I'll be watching this with great interest.

Frank

My aeroplanes were done without chisels too, I just had a mini plane, a cheap craft knife, some files and a swiss army knife. Ive got a dremel copy that I'll probably use for wheel wells and the cockpit. Half the fun is working out how to make the shape you want with the tools you've got.

Stevehnz: no idea, it was over 40 years ago!

Thank you all for your interest, ill try not to disappoint. I'm off now to make a sacrifice to the gods of woodwork.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Aarrrgggghhhhhh...!!!! 😱😱😱The agony!!! The crushing of all hope and dreams! 😪😭😭😳😳

A scratchbuilt Aston Martin DBR1 in 1/16 scale was going to be MY next project following the Completion of the Avro 504. Like you I was inspired to enter the dark and difficult world of automotive modelling by the siren song of Albergman’s work

My Thunder is now well and truely stolen...

Redshift - You will be hearing from my lawyers! 😵

• Like 1

:) This months exercise in sawdust making is the recreation of the best looking car ever to have been built (you may disagree, but you are wrong*) the Aston Martin DBR1 Le Mans winner from 1956

Well we can agree on that much! Is there any particular reason there are cars other than Aston Martin DBR1’s on this forum? 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

😱It shoulda been me! 😧😧😧😪😪😭😭

Just goes to show - you can never trust a Red! Especially not a shifty one - eh ‘Redshift! ‘ 😡

It shoulda been me! 😢

You snooze, you lose!

Look out Redshift- it might end up just you and me - face to face - man to man - each armed with no more than a handful of power tools, a block of wood and some Aston Martin plans! 😡

You and Me... Aston Martins at 20 paces!

Actually - that’d be pretty cool! 😎 Maybe I should should break out the old bandsaw! 👍

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Look out Redshift- it might end up just you and me - face to face - man to man - each armed with no more than a handful of power tools, a block of wood and some Aston Martin DBR1 plans! 😡

You and Me... Aston Martins at 20 paces!

Actually - that’d be pretty cool! 😎 Maybe I should should break out the old bandsaw! 👍

Well, if you're going the cowards way out by reaching for power tools.... How about a blunt pocket knife and a lump of fallen tree?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours of sanding later...

30729482297_6dc1c50729_b.jpg

44755901965_1b3d06900f_b.jpg%5B

31797765468_b8135bf878_b.jpg%5B

Those chisels may have been dirt cheap, but they are still razor sharp so the lime wood carves like butter. 

I think this Aston is the road going equivalent of the spitfire in terms of the correctness of the shape for the job it has to do. There are also no straight lines, so it is quite a task to get all the curves smooth and flowing. Next will be wire wheels made from pipe, fishing line and drawing pins :)

Edited by Redshift
  • Like 6

I just pressed the ‘like’ button. 

Not it sure why - but I did. 😶

You are gaining some grudging respect here. 😞

Hope the wire wheels cause you lots and lots of pain. Those and the headlights were the things that were worrying me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2